downtown loop cafeteria

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
downtown loop cafeteria
Posted by: TeddyM (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 14, 2012 02:34PM

Does anyone remember the old cafeteria that used to be in the basement of the LaSalle Bank office building (@ Adams and LaSalle) down in the loop ? it was called "Faber's" in think? I used to eat lunch there a lot when i worked for years in the 300 W. Adams building?

It was an old-school cafeteria, but I'm having trouble remembering what it looked like down there! WHat did it look like? How was the food? All of a sudden one week it closed down, and I was heartbroken. There are no more old cafeterias like that unfortunately. Everything is just fast food chains. Although there were no windows, the cafeteria was such a nice place to sit for lunch. Reasonably priced, no waiters or waitresses. you grabbed a tray and went thru the line right? Can anyone help me picture it? thanks
Ted

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: downtown loop cafeteria
Posted by: West Town (---.elgin.edu)
Date: February 14, 2012 03:04PM

I worked for ABN-AMRO which was the parent company of LaSalle Bank until they sold out to Bank of America around 2007. When I worked there it was called the "Vault" and your right it was wonderful! Big salad bar, sandwich stations, stir fry stations. Employees got a discount, but it was also open to the public as well and the prices were reasonable. My bet is the new owners (Bank of America) didn't want anything to do with it and just phased it out. I was among 7,000 employees in the Chicago and Michgan who lost their jobs as a result of the buy out.

AD:

Posted by: Rex (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 19, 2012 12:14PM

What I remember about Fabers is the guy who would "greet" you when you walked in and then tell you (in no uncertain terms) where you would be sitting that day.

The food was pretty good, though. And cheap.

AD:

Posted by: naveedavee (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: March 03, 2012 10:54PM

I remember access to a basement cafeteria inside a walgreens downtown somewhere, I think. It had other places too, like a barber shop and a boot shine stand. wow dredging up old memories...

AD:

Posted by: Chipast (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 03, 2012 11:09PM

There was like a lower level arcade of shops in that building, One of them including a hobby shop.

AD:

Posted by: TeddyM (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 08, 2012 06:09AM

Wow you guys are telling me unexpected things....I ate there SO very very many times back in the day....but i'm still having trouble remembering the "Greeter" and the lower level arcade of shops such as a hobby shop???.....I definitely don't recall it being below a Walgreens...no way!?!..I believe the bank and the bookstore were always on the ground floor above the cafeteria? Its such a shame all the old-school cafeterias are disappearing.. I still love the old Ronnie's Steakhouse that used to be in SE loop too, now still surviving in the state of Il building?.
btw
Naveedavee are u the guy from the Billy Joel song? I knew it!
thanks you guyz so much for your recollections. great web site for old-school chicago guys like me. many thanks.....any other cafeterias you remember?????

AD:

Posted by: jak378 (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 08, 2012 12:48PM

The Walgreens at State and Madison and the Walgreens at State and Randolph both had cafeterias in the basement level. Both had pretty good food as well as very wide selection. I do remember the lower level hobby sho that someone referred to.

AD:

Posted by: Cragin Spring (---.dhcp.ftbg.wi.charter.com)
Date: November 07, 2014 04:28PM

135 South LaSalle still has the big cafeteria on the bottom level and its open to the public. They have quite the big selection. The CNA building also has a big cafeteria and believe its open to the public. I know the Chase Building has one also with big windows to look outside. Does anyone remember a little place in a building on LaSalle just north of Congress that always had lines for their big fish sandwiches? I think they shut down in the early 1990's.

AD:

Posted by: davey7 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: November 13, 2014 07:30PM

55 E Monroe also has a cafeteria.

AD:

Posted by: ambrosemario (12.23.243.---)
Date: November 13, 2014 11:24PM

Broker's Inn, located on laSalle between Jackson & van burden, was famouse for its fish sandwiches. It's location was torn down for the CBOT expansion in the 1990s. However, the owner of broker's Inn also owns Ceres, located in the CBOT lobby, and the lines are still long on Friday for their famous fish sandwich.

AD:

Posted by: CaptHenway (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: January 03, 2015 03:05AM

I remember a Faber's on the main floor of the Insurance Exchange Building, and in the basement of the Brunswick Building now known as 69 W. Washington. Good food at reasonable prices. The chain suddenly vanished one day.

There was also a good cafeteria in the Marquette Building.

AD:

Posted by: Fscott (198.161.141.---)
Date: January 04, 2015 07:52PM

How about "Wimpy,s Hamburgers"?
Several locations downtown in the fifties and sixties.

They were the origional McDonalds/Shake Shack, whatever.

The best!

AD:

Posted by: southwestside83rd (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 24, 2015 04:58PM

the basement of ABN amro was a wonderful cafeteria which was populated by practically all the employees who worked across the street at 125 south clark. The upstairs was originally actually a restaurant (sit down type) with dark wood furniture, but taking the stairs down, you embarked on a wonderful greeter who led you to the cafeteria which was full of fresh hot coffee, fruit, breakfast foods ahd a full service order kitchen in the Basement! little booths, even in the basement! it lasted for at least from 1971 to about mid 1980's when it abruptly closed!

AD:

Posted by: southwestside83rd (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 24, 2015 05:00PM

Wimpys' was East of State street and a long long counter on the south side of Madison, and you could get a decent meal with a shake for under 80 cents. Of course that was around 1965.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact