Parichy Stadium/Forest Park

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Parichy Stadium/Forest Park
Posted by: barsntone (---.nat.trb.com)
Date: February 10, 2012 06:32PM

A Parichy Stadium in Forest Park is mentioned in this cute article in the Forest Park review.

http://www.forestparkreview.com/main.asp?SectionID=1&SubSectionID=38&ArticleID=6298

Anyone ever heard of it / have any pics?

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Parichy Stadium/Forest Park
Posted by: jd (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 11, 2012 11:41PM

I found this from the local newspaper. Scroll down to "Thirty Years Ago..."

http://www.forestparkreview.com/print.asp?ArticleID=5134&SectionID=6&SubSectionID=51

"...One man was responsible for the Bloomer Girls, an Oak Park roofer and baseball fanatic named Emery Parichy (PAR-is-she). At age 80 he was inducted into the Amateur Softball Association of America. The team, his "Baby" for 30 years, was the Pride of Forest Park in action and in memory..."

I guess the stadium was torn down when the Eisenhower was rammed through. All the other articles I could find say the stadium was located just north of where the U-Haul lot is today, which would put it in the middle of the Ike.

AD:

Posted by: mrbobbo (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: February 16, 2012 02:19AM

Parichy Stadium (Home of the Bloomer Girls) was in Oak Park, not Forest Park. The Article mentioned has it pretty close.
It was located on the south side of Garfield between Harlem and Maple in Oak Park. South of the present location of the Ike. Harrison is the next east/west street north of Garfield and on the other side of the expressway.
My Dad was an Oak Park Copper and played softball on the department team. A few games were held there and it was always like a big deal cuz it was a real ball park.Long gone. Something like a Material Service yard there now and it's been there for a long time.

AD:

Posted by: jd (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: July 20, 2012 03:54PM

I just finished reading "Images of America - Forest Park" by Kenneth J. Knack (Arcadia publishing co. (www.arcadiapublishing.com). It is an excellent book full of hundreds of pictures of Forest Park going back to the mid 1800's. On pages 45 & 46 there are pictures of the Bloomer Girls playing at Parichy Stadium. The captions say it was located at Harlem & Harrison. There is one picture of the Stadium with St. Bernadine's church visible behind the left field wall.

Later in the book it says that the stadium was gobbled up by the Eisenhower expressway, and where the main entrance, restaurant and concession stand was got torn down to build a Dodge dealership, which is now the U-Haul rental office and lot.

I just picked up a copy of the same series for Oak Park called "Images of America - Oak Park Illinois -- Continuity and Change" by David M. Sokol. Again published by Arcadia.

I'll let y'all know how that is. The FP book was excellent. I highly recommend it.

AD:

Posted by: silliker (---.69.101.136.pldt.net)
Date: August 15, 2012 06:31AM

Sounds like a good article and very interesting to read, would like to see a photo if you can post in here.

AD:

Posted by: Jetpilot (---.nctv.com)
Date: November 25, 2013 10:11PM

I beg to differ, the Parichy park was right across the street fro Vogel's bowling
alley and bar..on the corner of Harrison and Harlem. I hawked ice cream at the Bloomer Girl's games as a kid...also got to play a game against them as a teenager.
As on person said, you could see St. Bernadine's ..can't do that from Oak Park

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact