Ebenezer Danish Evangelical Lutheran Church

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Ebenezer Danish Evangelical Lutheran Church
Posted by: brianq (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: January 25, 2012 03:39PM

I'm curious if anyone might now where to find some photos or illustrations of this church which still stands at Wabansia and Rockwell. 1657 n. rockwell.

Thanks!
Brian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2012 05:34PM by brianq.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Ebenezer Danish Evangelical Lutheran Church
Posted by: WayOutWardell (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 26, 2012 01:28AM

The ECLA Archives website says this (no photos on the site though):

[i]The congregation's original building was located at North Rockwell and Wabansia Ave. It was enlarged and remodeled in 1908-09. By the late 1930s and 1940s, the congregation planned to relocate to a new, larger facility. After being approached by Our Savior's United Lutheran Church, which needed to relocate, but could not afford the task on their own, the two congregations merged in 1947 to become Atonement Lutheran Church. A new building was constructed on the northwest corner of North and Rutherford Avenues. Ebenezer's former building was sold to the Albanian Orthodox Church St. Nicholas.[/i]

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 26, 2012 02:07AM

Brian,

Is this the church now that is for sale? It would be on the southeast cornor of the block. I see a picture of a church for sale at that address.

Ralph

AD:

Date: January 26, 2012 07:35PM

The church was sold recently. A gentleman is currently gut rehabbing it. I think it is going to be a spectacular home once complete. That ECLA info was all that I was able to find too.

Thanks,
Brian

AD:

Date: January 26, 2012 08:45PM

The picture I saw of the church was the one I googgled from the map view. It shows the north side and the front of the church. It is from 2007. If I see any others, I will let you know.

Ralph

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2012 08:54PM by rjmachon.

AD:

Date: January 26, 2012 08:57PM

Thanks Ralph, Appreciate it!

AD:

Date: January 26, 2012 09:17PM

I just thought of it.

Check with realitor! They should have pictures inside and out. Everyone I know today takes takes a lot pictures so they can show the property on line.

Ralph

AD:

Posted by: brianq (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 27, 2012 12:03AM

I'm looking for more old photos. They did have some good photos of it in it's current state. I'd love to see some from way back when.

AD:

Posted by: 222psm (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 28, 2012 01:04PM

Here's some photos of its current state, http://www.trulia.com/property/3001058200-1657-N-Rockwell-St-Chicago-IL-60647

http://www.urbanrealestate.com/property/1657-N-Rockwell-CHICAGO-IL-60647-OHXUZEUKE4C64.html

AD:

Posted by: Mornac (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: January 28, 2012 01:16PM

Was there ever anything that amounted to a "Danish neighborhood" in the city?

AD:

Posted by: PKDickman (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 28, 2012 02:25PM

Mornac Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Was there ever anything that amounted to a "Danish
> neighborhood" in the city?

From the Encyclopedia of Chicago
http://encyclopedia.chicagohistory.org/pages/363.html

The written Danish language was the same as Norwegian, and Swedes could understand it as well, so Danes often lived in mixed Scandinavian communities and intermarried with Norwegians and Swedes. The earliest Danish community in Chicago was around Randolph and LaSalle Streets in the 1860s. Around 1870, some Danes established a South Side enclave around 37th and State Streets that persisted until the 1920s, but the main axis of Danish and Norwegian settlement crossed the Chicago River and moved northwest along Milwaukee Avenue during the 1870s. By 1880, two-thirds of the city's 6,000 Danes lived in Milwaukee Avenue neighborhoods. A new, heavily Norwegian and Danish neighborhood also began to take shape east of Humboldt Park. By 1910, there were 18,500 first- and second-generation Danes in the city. Scandinavians had abandoned Milwaukee Avenue to Italian and East European immigrants, and North Avenue was the new Danish-Norwegian commercial center. Humboldt Park remained a major Scandinavian community for a couple of decades, but Danes began to disperse around 1920 to western and northern suburbs

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact