Why do many downtown street signs have the year 2001 on them and a logo

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Why do many downtown street signs have the year 2001 on them and a logo
Posted by: ChicagoHal (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 21, 2011 03:37PM

Anybody know the answer?

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Why do many downtown street signs have the year 2001 on them and a logo
Posted by: Elaine W (192.175.17.---)
Date: November 22, 2011 07:50PM

Could you specify which street signs (locations) where you've seen this? I've never noticed it but I don't usually look at street signs downtown because I know where I'm at (unlike some unfamiliar neighborhoods). Yesterday, after I read this post, I was waiting at a bus stop at State & Jackson, but I didn't see anything like what you've described on those signs.

AD:

Date: November 28, 2011 11:23PM

I looked around further on other downtown streets and saw the logo you referred to. It actually says "Chicago 2001" so I googled that phrase and came up with information on a ten-year-old tourism campaign called "Chicago 2001." You can find information on this website: www.atme.org/pubs/archives/77_254_1114.CFM.
So now the question is--why do our street signs still have this ten-year-old logo? Is it too much of a hassle to update the street signs?

AD:

Posted by: Mr Downtown (---.c3-0.drb-ubr1.chi-drb.il.cable.rcn.com)
Date: December 11, 2011 09:01PM

In advance of the 1996 Democratic National Convention, CDOT/the mayor's office was sold on the idea of installing new street signs with changeable panels. So originally they went in with Chicago '96 on them, and then in 2001 they were updated with the new tourism logo. Nothing since. In retrospect, the flaw seems obvious.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2011 09:03PM by Mr Downtown.

AD:

Posted by: tomcat630 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 24, 2011 05:56AM

Chicago tried to create a "celebrate 2001 as the beginning of the 21st Century" festival, but 2000 was what ended up being the big New Year by everyone, so it was dropped.

AD:

Date: February 13, 2012 11:12PM

Thank you all for your comments.
Elaine's link was excellant as it actually has the same logo that the signs have. I also seem to recall that millenium park wasn't anywhere near ready for the millenium and I wonder if that is perhaps part of the reason Chicago tried making a big deal out of 2001. Now I'll have to see when millenium park opened (although I seem to recall it was kind of in stages).

I have one of the signs, so I'll check for the replaceable panels described above, but I have my doubts because I don't remember it having anything like that and usually I notice when they have something slapped over a previous thing on the sign.

AD:

Date: February 15, 2012 12:25AM

I think the actual opening date of Millenium Park was 2004.

AD:

Date: February 25, 2012 12:53PM

Now that you mention it, that seems about right because I worked near there in 2003 and it was still being worked on then now that I think about it.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact