Temporary WWII Veterans housing - Thatcher Homes

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Temporary WWII Veterans housing - Thatcher Homes
Posted by: Bruce Kelleher (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 06, 2011 04:27PM

Looking for kids who grew up in the vets housing that was at Thatcher/Montrose/Cumberland/Berteau in the late 40s/early 50s. Also would like to get pics from there and then. Have a site on facebook for the former residents of these quonsets/barracks buildings. There were several sites in Chicago area but we're mainly interestd in kids(now in their 60s) from the 'hood'. LOL.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2011 02:45PM by Bruce Kelleher.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Tempory WWII Veterans housing - Thatcher Homes
Date: November 06, 2011 05:32PM

Have a site setup on facebook called ..Thatcher Homes of Norwood Township, IL - Temporary WWII veterans housing. Join us if you lived there or have a grandparent that did. Housing was demolished in 1954. It consisted of quonset & barracks buildings made out of corrugated metal. It was just across Montrose Ave. from Happy Day Stables.

AD:

Posted by: Vern H (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 07, 2011 06:39AM

Have you looked on historicaerials.com ? I know for a fact there are images of the Quonset huts there.

AD:

Posted by: HOLTANEK (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 07, 2011 12:12PM

I was reading the book about Norridge, "Island in a city" and saw the aerial photo that showed some kind of buildings there. Having lived in the area from 1960 to about 1975 I was never aware that this parcel was anything more than an open field with a few tree clumps. I thought that the photo had been doctored for some reason and didnt believe that there was ever anything there. Then I checked out one of the historical aerial sites, and there it was. Thanks for the furthur explanation of this area. I also remember when Happy day was around and there were always people riding horses thru the forest preserve. ( Sadly, Happy Days was where the 3 Shusler boys were murdered and their bodies dumped right off Lawrence,east of River Road by the Des Plaines river in the forest preserve)

AD:

Date: November 07, 2011 02:42PM

Checkout our site on facebook. We have several pics there posted including theone from Historisaerials and one of the demolition. There's also a couple of my brother and I on a pony. This guy used to come around the neighborhood selling photos in the 50s. Have one also of the 1952 KG class at the Canty Branch #1 school that served the kids due to the overcrowding until St. Francis Borgia was built. Our site is called

Thatcher Homes of Norwood Township, IL - temporary WWII veterans housing

Always looking for mor members, especially someone who lived there or whose parents or grandparents did. The site exisited 1947-1954. The fire hydrants are still there in the middle of the area. Ever walk your dog and wonder..what the hell are these here for???

If you want to join us and can't find it on FB my name should be no problem My profile pic is one from my navy days with white hat taken in fro in 1970.Kong Hilton nt of the Hong

AD:

Re: Temporary WWII Veterans housing - Thatcher Homes
Date: November 07, 2011 03:37PM

Hey Bruce, tried Googling the "Thatcher Homes of Norwood Township, IL - temporary WWII veterans housing" which brought me back to Forgotten Chgo. Is your site on Facebook or other? Also, did you have a bro named Bob? We went to Ridgewood together.

AD:

Date: November 07, 2011 03:38PM

Duh, just saw the facebook thing. Will check it out.

AD:

Date: November 07, 2011 03:41PM

Hmm, cant locate on Facebook either. Gimme a clue

AD:

Date: November 07, 2011 04:03PM

I don't understand why facebook entries aren't showin up on google search anymore. Should compute if you're on FB tho. Maybe it shows for me since I'm a member and it's in my history. Look for me on Fb and I can befriend you and add you to the group. Bruce Kelleher Brother's name is Leon. My profile pic is from my navy days

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2011 03:04PM by Bruce Kelleher.

AD:

Posted by: Philomena (---.bltn.il.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 09, 2011 09:33PM

Bruce,

Can't find it on Facebook. I searched it & checked your page.

AD:

Date: November 11, 2011 03:02PM

Did you live there? Don't know why it doesn't come up on FB. Look for me on fb and I can add you to the group..friend request. My profile pic is from my navy days iun a white cap. I'm in front of the Hong Kong Hilton in 1970.

AD:

Date: November 13, 2011 05:32PM

A gal posted some KG & 1st grade pics from 1950-54 on our group site on facebook.

AD:

Date: November 13, 2011 05:34PM

The sites title is

Thatcher Homes of Norwood Township - temporary WWII veterans housing.

AD:

Date: November 13, 2011 05:35PM

The sites title is

Thatcher Homes of Norwood Township, IL - temporary WWII veterans housing.

AD:

Date: March 24, 2012 10:38AM

Looking for former residents of the TH temporary veterans housing. It was built in 1947 to house returning vets from WWII and their families. If you lived there or know someone who may have, please let me know. The complex existed south of Montrose and East of Cumberland. It was demolished in 1954. We have a group on FB entitled..Thatcher Homes of Norwood Township, IL - temporary WWII veterans housing.

AD:

Posted by: tomcat630 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 28, 2012 03:32AM

City should have been more aggressive in annexing land after WW2, could have had Rosemont and even Elk Grove or Schaumburg.

AD:

Date: March 30, 2012 05:52PM

@Holtanek...we are also looking for folks who lived at the time in the Georgian homes just south of us...We called them the 'brick homes'. LOL.They were on the 'P' streets from Irving Park to Berteau where our complex began. Have several aboared from Pioneer, Pittsburgh, Plainfield & Pontiac Aves.

AD:

Date: March 31, 2012 06:46PM

I lived on the 4200 block of Overhill,in the "east hood",but knew a few people that lived in the "brick homes". Went out to the Thatcher Homes area last week and poked around. I was clearly able to see the "street " patterns and such,along with the fire hydrants in the middle of the preserve. It seems as if the ditch that runs kinda east to west is exactly the path of Robinson Drive. Also, checked out "Thatcher Homes of Norwood Township, IL - temporary WWII veterans housing", great site!

AD:

Date: April 04, 2012 06:25PM

Are you still in contact with friends from the 'brick homes'? We've broadened our base and have been locating them also...mainly from the early 50s, because they have more than likely the same memories as we and went to the same schools.When did you live on Overhill?

AD:

Posted by: HOLTANEK (209.51.184.---)
Date: April 06, 2012 07:04PM

I lived at 4221 Overhill from 1960 to about 1975. I went to Northwest Lutheran grade school in Elmwood Park and survived Ridgewood High. I was around when the HIP was an open shopping center, Kiddeeland was still there,the Harlem outdoor,the yearly HIP carnival, etc,etc,etc. Good times, great place.

AD:

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact