Wrigley Field

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Wrigley Field
Posted by: s justice (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 04, 2011 12:32AM

How many remember getting free tickets for Cubs games in the 1960's for putting
seats upright in the grandstand. Always tried to take one of the last rows. There might have been 3 or 4 seats in the whole ballpark that someone actually had a ticket for the game.

Skip

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Wrigley Field
Posted by: jak378 (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 17, 2012 06:37PM

I don't remember that, possibly because I am a southsider, but I do remember going to Wrigley Field on gameday and being able to buy the best box seat in the house. In those days,the early 50's through the early 60's, they were lucky to have 1500 people in the stands, most of whom probably got in on some promotion. I have no idea what their record low attendance is, but I remember Jack Brickhouse one time announcing the attendance as something like 7 or 8 humdred. Funny thing is that they are really no better now than they were back then

AD:

Posted by: daveg (130.36.62.---)
Date: January 17, 2012 06:51PM

Nowadays, going to Wrigley is an event, with a baseball game thrown in. Attendance has dropped lately though. We'll see what this year brings.

AD:

Posted by: WDH74 (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 18, 2012 03:28AM

One thing to bear in mind is that back in the late sixties and seventies, Lakeview wasn't as nice as it is now-the area around the stadium was kinda sketchy, not as family friendly as now (allegedly, I am not old enough to have gone back then). I recall reading that it was common for the upper deck to be closed off as well.

Also, didn't daytime games hurt attendance for a long time? Ironically, that's part of the reason the Cubs became so popular-their games were broadcast during the day, and lots of kids and SAHP's watched the games and became fans.

-WDH

AD:

Posted by: Tim (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: January 21, 2012 05:42PM

My friends and I would take the L to Wrigley to arrive a few hours before a game. Memory serves there would be 20-30 kids there. We'd be taken inside to pick up the trash in the seating areas. A couple hours work would get us unreserved grandstand tickets for that day's game or for a future game. The face value of the unreserved seats back then (late 1950s) was $0.60. If we wanted to sit in the bleachers, we'd have to come up with $0.15 as the ticket price was $0.75.

AD:

Posted by: faparks (---.knology.net)
Date: May 03, 2012 09:44PM

In the early 1960's, I picked up rental seat cushions after each game, and took them to the turn-in point, a single half-door under the third base grandstand, give them to an old crusty guy named "Al", and in return, I would get a "free pass" to the next home game!

The required number of cushions was 12, however, Al would sometimes give out a pass for as few as ten cushions!

I would head to Wrigley each afternoon after school, just to collect cushions for the "free pass '!

I was in school at LeMoyne, just a few blocks east of Wrigley Field.

I have hundreds of stories about my experiences there!

AD:

Posted by: davey7 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: May 15, 2012 04:55PM

daveg is totally right. The LPTS (Lincoln Park Trixie Society) had some good suggestions for improving the experience, such as Starbucks and branches of Armitage Avenue boutiques in the park.

AD:

Posted by: jwmann2 (---.dhcp.insightbb.com)
Date: June 07, 2012 04:16AM

WDH74 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> One thing to bear in mind is that back in the late
> sixties and seventies, Lakeview wasn't as nice as
> it is now-the area around the stadium was kinda
> sketchy, not as family friendly as now (allegedly,
> I am not old enough to have gone back then). I
> recall reading that it was common for the upper
> deck to be closed off as well.
>
> Also, didn't daytime games hurt attendance for a
> long time? Ironically, that's part of the reason
> the Cubs became so popular-their games were
> broadcast during the day, and lots of kids and
> SAHP's watched the games and became fans.
>
> -WDH

Never been to Wrigley but I think a lot of it's popularity has to do with the fanfare surrounding the venue on gamedays. It is also extremely unique with it's rooftop seating. Sadly, I think the team would all of a sudden become competitive if they put an end to that day game crap. Who likes waking up at 9am and going to batting practice rather than sleep till 2pm and ease into the evening? That will never happen though, too much tradition.

[url=http://www.fromthisseat.com/index.php/nba] NBA Arenas [/url]
[url=http://www.fromthisseat.com/index.php/nfl] NFL Stadiums [/url]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2012 04:18AM by jwmann2.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact