Holiday Ballroom in Jefferson Park

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Holiday Ballroom in Jefferson Park
Posted by: c5rulz (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 03, 2011 11:24PM

Does anyone remember the Holiday Ballroom on Milwaukee Avenue in Jefferson Park? Whatever happened to the giant disco ball? What years did it operate ? Does anyone have pictures?

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Holiday Ballroom in Jefferson Park
Posted by: Kchi (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 04, 2011 12:11PM

The ballroom was at 4847 Milwaukee. As late as 1986, I found a ad for dancing lessons. By 1988 another article for a savings and loan mentions that the building was demolished. The earliest mention I could find was a 1957 ad. I also found a ad in Feb 1956 where the Times Theater buildinng was being auction. So my best guess that the ballroom operated between 1957 and 1987.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2011 12:40PM by Kchi.

AD:

Date: November 05, 2011 01:16AM

I vaguely remember the Times show. Spent many Friday nights dancing at the Holiday. Then we would cruise Milwaukee Ave. Your timeline seems pretty much on. Sure wish we could find some pictures. Maybe there may have been some local newspaper articles about it ... but what were the local papers back then ?!?!

AD:

Posted by: Kchi (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 05, 2011 10:35AM

There weren't any pictures in the Tribune. Here is a link for the Jefferson Park Historical society. You may be able to contact someone there who can direct you to a source for pictures or info on local papers.

http://www.jeffersonparkhistory.org/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2011 10:36AM by Kchi.

AD:

Posted by: Pestromy (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 17, 2011 10:39PM

Cinematreasures.org is always a great place to find info and photos on old theaters. The Holiday Ballroom was once the Times Theatre. Here is a link to Cinema treasures and one for a photo of the Holiday Ballroom.

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/5395

http://americanclassicimages.com/Default.aspx?tabid=141&txtSearch=illinois&catpageindex=10&catpagesize=25&ProductID=26265

AD:

Posted by: lmcwhirter (---.mid.suddenlink.net)
Date: February 15, 2012 07:32PM

I have a picture of two gentlemen at a party I got a recent estate auction... on the bottom is says:
"enjoy yourself at holiday ballroom". Here is the link to it if you would
like to see it. For Sale on Etsy. Thanks!

[url=http://www.etsy.com/listing/93083124/antique-photograph-of-2-young-men-at-a?ref=pr_shop]old pic on etsy[/url]

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 16, 2012 04:46AM

I thought the Holiday Ballroom was at Pulaski and Milwaukee where the CVS is now? If not, what was there and what was the name of the place? From what I remember the building took up the whole corner. It was a large red brick building.

AD:

Posted by: Kchi (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: February 16, 2012 05:04PM

The Milford Ballroom was located at 3309 N. Pulaski at the corner of Pulaski and Milwaukee by the Milford show.

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 16, 2012 08:08PM

Thanks Kchi,
I could not remember the name of that place. I knew there was a show there as well. Now where was the Holiday Ballroom? Is that where Jefferson Park bus terminal is now?

AD:

Date: February 16, 2012 09:01PM

The Holiday Ballroom was on the east side of Milwaukee Ave. right where it intersects with Higgins. There was an army surplus store across the street on the triangle piece of property. It was a place where many romances started for folks now in their mid to late 60's ... me being one of them. Still trying to find pictures of the Varda drive-in restaurant that was located on the corner of Milwaukee and Sunnyside. It was a great car hang-out back in the day.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact