Buffalo Restaurant

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Buffalo Restaurant
Posted by: s justice (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 02, 2011 01:10AM

Anyone remember the Buffalo at Irving and Pulaski?

Skip

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Buffalo Restaurant
Posted by: Vern H (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 02, 2011 04:00AM

I do. Very elaborate old ice cream parlor is what I remember, ice cream was out of this world! My father took is there in the 70's, it was a special treat.

AD:

Posted by: daveg (130.36.62.---)
Date: November 02, 2011 01:21PM

I believe it moved to the corner of Lake Cook and Arlington Heights Road. Took my daughter there last year and asked about it and they said "yep we used to be on Pulaski and Irving Park". There were a few photos of the old place hanging on the wall.

AD:

Posted by: s justice (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 02, 2011 01:45PM

I have been to the one at Lake Cook and Arlington Hgts Rd.

AD:

Posted by: theseos (12.207.209.---)
Date: November 03, 2011 06:26PM

I remember going to the original location on Pulaski as a young kid. I recall it having turn-of-the-20th century decor and if I remember correctly, a calliope inside that still played, I think, for when people had birthdays. Also they'd bring you a huge bowl of ice cream with a sparkler in it when it was your birthday.

AD:

Posted by: shekaago (---.sub-75-211-227.myvzw.com)
Date: November 05, 2011 02:11PM

My grandfather loved Buffalo! He took me there when I was a kid. The ice cream was great and I loved their chocolate phosphates. Here are a few articles about Buffalo.

1978 photo from "What Was There?" site...

Buffalo's origins 1902 at Sedgwick and Division (scroll down on page link to view postcard)...
[url=http://chuckmancollectionvolume14.blogspot.com/2011/03/menu-chicago-buffalo-ice-cream-parlor_17.html]Chuckman's Postcard Collection - Buffalo Ice Cream[/url]

Obituary of Co-Founder John Korompilas...
[url=http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1992-04-08/news/9202010353_1_chicago-landmark-milkshakes-crawford]Chicago Tribune[/url]

And a 1987 article from the Trib on Chicago Soda Parlors...
[url=http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1987-08-16/features/8703020190_1_marble-glass-movie-palaces]Neighborhood Soda Parlor - Tribune Article[/url]

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 22, 2014 11:04PM

I remember the Buffalo Ice Cream Parlor on Irving Park Road. After it closed in 1978, a new ice cream parlor calling itself The Buffalo operated for a while in Morton Grove on Dempster Street at Austin Ave.. There is an article by J.R. Schmidt that has more about The Buffalo,

http://www.wbez.org/blogs/john-r-schmidt/2012-11/lost-landmark-buffalo-103767

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2014 11:30PM by rjmachon.

AD:

Posted by: southwestside83rd (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 24, 2015 10:30PM

Just came back from Arlington Height Road and Lake Cook Road, the Buffalo. Still has all the family favorites icecream. Great dinners too. THe old spot on Irving was a hit with waiters who 'memorized' long orders, we used to pile in with ten or twelve of us, and make them sweat it out to 'memorize', did you all do that as well? Too bad it was sold to build a gas station of all things. What a sad day.

AD:

Posted by: the_mogra (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: April 10, 2015 03:00PM

BUFFALO Restaurant was on the northwest corner of Irving Park & Pulaski of course, but briefly after that place closed they opened a smaller version on the northeast corner I remember. It possessed the same antique cash register. This was late 70's I think. I recall how the waitstaff didn't write anything down, they memorized all the orders, as other's here've already mentioned

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact