Chicago Ave. and Pulaski Ave. Neighborhood

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Chicago Ave. and Pulaski Ave. Neighborhood
Posted by: rgrazian (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 16, 2011 03:42AM

Hello,

I am new to Forgotten Chicago, and it sounds like a great website.

Does anyone have any history or photo's of the Chicago Ave. and Pulaski Ave. neighborhood? I went to Our Lady of the Angels grammar school (1965 - 1970), and lived on Springfield Ave. right off of Chicago Ave.

G & L Bowl, Phil's Lounge, Woolworth's, The Carnival, the yearly bonfire across from Maggio's store and much much more.

I moved out of the area in 1970 when I was only 10 years old, and I would welcome any stories, information and/or pictures of the area from this period or earlier.

Thank you,

Ron Grazian

Ron Grazian
graz99@prodigy.net

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Chicago Ave. and Pulaski Ave. Neighborhood
Posted by: shekaago (---.sub-75-248-107.myvzw.com)
Date: October 16, 2011 03:44PM

Hi Ron, Welcome to Forgotten Chicago! My mom lived at 845 N. Pulaski but many, many years ago when Pulaski was called Crawford Avenue. I'm sure I can dig through family photos and find a few from that neighborhood for you. The thing that struck me about your forum message was your mention of Maggio's store, My family used to visit a dentist, Dr. Maggio, who's office was located on Chicago Avenue and I'm wondering if they might be related. Thank you for your PM on Mount Olive too. Small world!

AD:

Posted by: rgrazian (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 16, 2011 04:13PM

Wow! It is a small world! We lived at 740 N. Springfield. I'm not sure I spelled the store name right. It was pronounced Mago's with a long A. It was a small corner store on Huron I believe directly across from an open lot that was used for bonfires on the 4th of July. They would collect and throw couches, mattresses, tv's or anything they could find for the fire. Never allow that today...

What is your family name? My Grandparents lived at 720 N. Springfield and 4 of their 5 children (including my family) lived on that block! You would never see that today. I went to Our Lady of the Angels school from 1965 through 1970. We moved out in 1970 when the neighborhood changed.

Any photo's of the neighborhood would be great! Especially any photo's of Chicago and/or Pulaski Ave., parks, schools, stores etc.

Don't forget the Mount Olive article:)

Thanks!

Ron

Ron Grazian
graz99@prodigy.net

AD:

Posted by: shekaago (---.sub-75-248-107.myvzw.com)
Date: October 16, 2011 06:17PM

Hi Ron! I'll do some more digging and researching and see what more I can find for you. Love the story of the bonfire and, you're right, no way that would ever be allowed these days.

AD:

Posted by: s justice (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 02, 2011 12:48AM

Ron: Not sure if this would help or not.

Google: North and Pulaski Historical Society.
Lots of old pictures.

I got married at St Philomena Church in 1977.

Skip

AD:

Posted by: the_mogra (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: April 10, 2015 07:12PM

with the start of polio vaccinations in the '50s I remember me with 100's of other screaming little kids getting a needle jabbed into our arms at a clinic the health dept set-up on chicago ave a block or so east of pulaski (probably 1957)

AD:

Posted by: SWEDE (---.lightspeed.iplsin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 10, 2015 11:09PM

My Dad worked at American Spring and Wire Co for 38 years which was located at Chicago Ave and Spalding just East of Pulaski. Rock Cola plant was across the street they manufactured pop machines and juke boxes.

AD:

Posted by: the_mogra (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: April 15, 2015 01:45PM

I worked at Rock-Ola from '69 - '72 (in 'phonograph engineering dept' on 3rd floor). the big Rock-Ola plant was on the NW corner w/ kedzie (where Popeye's now is), and that puts spaulding west of there of course. I'm sure it still stood at least until 1981, but in the '80s Rock-Ola relocated to the suburb of Addison

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact