Now gone great restaurants - tiny elevators

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Now gone great restaurants - tiny elevators
Posted by: olafrance01 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: August 02, 2011 08:14PM

Sorry to confuse two topics. Who else remembers the tiny elevator (3, maybe 4 people max) that was the entrance to Le Perroquet (70 E. Walton) - after you were screened by the host of course? Fantastic food, incredible service that was neither obsequious nor snobbish – ever. It was one of the best restaurants I’ve ever enjoyed, and I’ve traveled the States, Canada, Caribbean, and most of Europe regularly both for business and pleasure. Not THE best, but right up there.

The “best” involves so many factors, your mood, the person you’re with and the occasion. Perhaps my “best” restaurant experience, or at least the most memorable, was in Boston at a now also gone restaurant called Apley’s where I proposed to my wife. Another was a stumbled upon late afternoon lunch in an obscure village that I can’t even remember the name of somewhere northwest of Bern in Switzerland.

But Le Perroquet is right up there, along with L’Escargot, Febo’s and a few others.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Now gone great restaurants - tiny elevators
Posted by: Mornac (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 04, 2011 01:32PM

I have a friend who cut his teeth as a sous chef at Le Perroquet in the early 80’s. He went on to open several restaurants in Toronto (where he’s still at it). I never dined at Le Perroquet myself but I’m glad to hear it was held in such high esteem.

AD:

Re: Now gone great restaurants - tiny elevators
Posted by: davey7 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: September 23, 2011 12:15PM

I recently got a tour of an apartment in Hyde Park and there was a sticker for L'Escargot on a kitchen cabinet. The owner may have put it there or else his grandson is a chef.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact