Loop eateries now gone.

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Loop eateries now gone.
Posted by: Mikey (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 25, 2014 03:03PM

> go downtown on the weekends in the 60's. We'd take the IC (Illinois Central) from 119th & Halsted to the Randolph Street Station. That's the Metra Electric nowadays. We'd go to Abercrombe & Fitch's (to see all the new contraptions they had), Kroch & Brentano's

The reason that I seem to remember this cafeteria-style "automat" being on South Wabash is because I, too visited Kroch's (around 230 s. Wabash), on a regular basis.
The "automat" wasn't too far north of Kroch's, on the same side of the street.

It's going to make me crazy trying to remember the name of the place.

Mike

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Posted by: Fscott (198.161.141.---)
Date: January 04, 2015 08:25PM

I loved going to Wimpy's with dad..
Two that I remember, one on state and one on wabash.
I thnink the one on stae was across form Marshall Feilds on the washington side.

AD:

Posted by: southwestside83rd (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 18, 2015 01:29AM

welty's on clark street across from the old commonwealth edison building (now cps)

AD:

Posted by: the_mogra (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: April 15, 2015 01:36PM

yeah in the '60s I loved sitting on a stool at the counter of a Wimpy's enjoying a burger with my old buddy Dave, the one at the northeast corner of Clark & Madison usually. then we'd look at what the Clark Theatre was playing that day, and see what neat old collectors coins Rarcoa (now Harlan Berk) on clark st had on display there in their gallery windows (actually I still do that).

on Randolph (in the infamous block 28) I enjoyed a cafeteria style restaurant called (either) Holiday House or Holloway House in the early '60s with my dear Uncle Johnny, who could not believe how many different plates I'd grab and put on my tray for him to buy me (i.e., grapefruit with my roast beef au jus). But the restaurant had a little display off to the side for kiddies like me that said "free balloon (take one) if you finish everything on your plate!" and I took that as a kind of challenge

AD:

Posted by: southwestsiderlaredo (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 20, 2015 01:46AM

WHen we went shopping, lunch was always at Carson's basement Tartan Tray cafeteria, with the scottish plaid trays (anyone remember?), also, in the early 1950's Henrici's with the mini cream glass bottles for the coffee, where the Civic Center is. OF course lunch at Berghoff's after the Art Institute, (I hear they are now back open for lunch, will have to try it !)

AD:

Posted by: gman (---.sfltd.com)
Date: April 20, 2015 11:06AM

southwestsiderlaredo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> WHen we went shopping, lunch was always at
> Carson's basement Tartan Tray cafeteria, with the
> scottish plaid trays (anyone remember?), also, in
> the early 1950's Henrici's with the mini cream
> glass bottles for the coffee, where the Civic
> Center is. OF course lunch at Berghoff's after the
> Art Institute, (I hear they are now back open for
> lunch, will have to try it !)

The Berghoff's closing was brief but significant. The mmnu has changed a lot (and not for the better). It's open for lunch and dinner every day but Sunday.

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 (---.dhs.gov)
Date: April 20, 2015 01:39PM

I worked in the 59 E. Van Buren Building from 1971-74, and I remember a hamburger place opening up on the ground floor of the building, a little east of the main entrance, and it had a railroad theme. It was between the main entrance of the building and the frame shop to the east. Can't remember the name of the place tho.

AD:

Posted by: SWEDE (---.lightspeed.iplsin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 20, 2015 02:15PM

Tads Steak House was mentioned, however, does anyone remember Diamond Jims.

AD:

Posted by: Eric F (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 20, 2015 09:33PM

Anyone remember a Loop Eatery called Streamliners ? Was around as late as the early 70's.

AD:

Posted by: Cragin Spring (---.dhcp.stcd.mn.charter.com)
Date: June 25, 2015 12:57AM

This wasn't that long ago. But in the 1990's in the loop there was a small chain that sold subs and sandwiches. It was called "New York Deli". There was one located near the Rookery Building. Actually for a chain, the place had good food and quite a few customers. All the locations just vanished.

On family style restaurants downtown they have become few and far between. So many have closed and I was told the biggest reason is when the lease runs out the owner of the building skyrockets the rent and makes it unfordable for the little guy. Loop wise, Beef & Brandy on State St. is one of the few left. Sadly also the younger generation passes up these family owned restaurants and head for the chains. I don't get it? Who wants to visit downtown and eat at a chain where you can go anytime in Chicagoland.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2015 01:14AM by Cragin Spring.

AD:

Posted by: the_mogra (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: June 25, 2015 12:00PM

[i]Who wants to visit downtown and eat at a chain where you can go anytime in Chicagoland.
[/i]

I'd agree with that pretty much

AD:

Date: June 26, 2015 11:40PM

Anyone remember the Forum?

AD:

Posted by: Cragin Spring (---.dhcp.stcd.mn.charter.com)
Date: June 29, 2015 02:27AM

Something I don't remember about the Forum Restaurant Fire. http://www.firefighternation.com/article/line-duty/chicago-s-forum-cafeteria-fire

AD:

Date: June 29, 2015 06:05PM

Cragin, Sorry to hear about the fire and especially the loss of lives. My wife would go there with her grandmother back in the 50's. It was a special place to go for her and her grandmother like your article stated.

AD:

Posted by: Elaine W (192.175.17.---)
Date: July 02, 2015 09:13PM

Cragin Spring--actually, the place you're talking about was called Wall Street Deli, not New York Deli. They were a national chain, because I recall visiting a friend in Baltimore after they'd opened up several Chicago stores, and there was at least one in downtown Baltimore.

AD:

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact