Loop eateries now gone.

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Loop eateries now gone.
Posted by: dmr37 (74.10.105.---)
Date: October 10, 2012 07:18PM

Early 1970's .... Jerry's Corned Beef right around the corner from the John Hancock building. A tiny standup restaurant run by him and his brother. Thick hot corned beef on rye with swiss cheese a pickle and a bottle of beer ... yum ! At noon the line of people at the door extended a ways down the street to get in. I was warned by friends before I got in the door I better know exactly what I want to order. When ordering if you dare to hesitate Jerry would yell, " you don't know what in the hell you want .... get in the back of the line" .... ha ha ..... they put on a good show. While standing up and eating you were also entertained.

Sound's like the Soup Nazi from Seinfeld

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Posted by: Jazzman (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 23, 2012 03:56PM

I remember eating many times at [b]Wimpy's[/b] at Clark and Madison.

Hot Dogs at [b]Woolworths[/b]....
[b]
The Dill Pickle[/b] ... on Van Buren just west of State stree,,,
[b]
Hungry Tonys[/b] ... On Wells just north of Van Buren

[b]Submarine Village[/b].. several locations in the loop

AD:

Posted by: ambrosemario (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: October 23, 2012 07:29PM

There are still a few "old" eateries left in the south loop. The Italian Village on Randolph probably deserves the title as the Loop's oldest restaurant since Berghoff closed a few years ago, then re-opened with a new staff and modified menu. Then there's Miller's Pub and the Exchequer Pub, located just a couple of blocks of each other on south Wabash. Others include Boni Vino's Pizza on Van Buren and it's next door neighbor the Sky Ride Tap. One could quibble and say that Sky Ride is more of a tavern than restaurant, but back in the 70's and early 80's they served a good burger and great chili. It's still opened, but I'm not sure if they still offer food. A short ride south of the Loop takes you to Manny's on Jefferson, just north of Roosevelt. Manny's has been doing it "old school" since WW II.

AD:

Posted by: caribiner23 (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: October 26, 2012 02:48PM

Some of my favorites from the late-80s/early 90s when I was first working in the Chicago Board of Trade Building:

- Yee Wall: Chinese place next door to the Chicago Board of Trade on the Wabash side. We used to go there for the Chef's Special, which was a pile of fried rice, an egg roll, a chicken tender, and a piece of shrimp. And it was always $5.13. They closed when they knocked down the building to expand the CBOT. I learned many years later that they moved and became ABC Chinese on Jackson and Wacker, and I used to walk by there all the time not knowing it was the same people. By the time I learned this, they were gone.

- Cafe Chicago (I think that was its name): this was a cafeteria downstairs in the Sears Tower. We used to call it "The Hungry Heifer" (after the place where Norm on "Cheers" used to eat) because they seemed to have every kind of food and it was ridiculously cheap.

- The Savoy: located in the basement of the Chicago Board Options Exchange. A Lettuce Entertain You-owned cafeteria, it was pretty good although more expensive than other options. I remember they had an awesome Caesar Salad.

- I can't remember the name, but there used to be a cafeteria in the Civic Opera Building, at least as late as the mid 1990s. I remember it was really old-school but the deli sandwiches were awesome. I went looking for it in the early 2000s but it seemed to be gone.

- Faber's: these were all over downtown, and I used to go to the one in 2 N Riverside (after getting off the train at Ogilvie) and the one in the Insurance Exchange (175 W Jackson). My favorite sandwich was the Hungry Hunter, a roast beef sandwich with au jus.

- The Dill Pickle: a great little deli on, I think, Wabash.

- Pago Pago: another chain of Chinese places. As I remember it now, it seems to be right out of "Mad Men" -- lots of dark red decor and tiki drinks. It would probably be very hip now. We used to go to the one on Jackson just west of Wells.

Wow-- I can't believe I recalled all those. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2012 02:49PM by caribiner23.

AD:

Posted by: windycityaj (38.100.105.---)
Date: November 20, 2012 03:47PM

Used to love a place called Ferris Wheel right on State St. Delish!

AD:

Posted by: Bruce Kelleher (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 01, 2012 05:14PM

Whimpy's on Wabash between Randolph & Lake Sts.

AD:

Posted by: gordonio (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 31, 2013 06:29PM

jak378 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The actual Mayflower Donut Shop quote was, "As you
> travel on through life brother, whatever be your
> goal, keep you eye upon the donut and not upon
> the hole."

Gosh, I just keyed in that phrase into the Google search bar as I had a "flash" of that sign after just eating a couple of excellent doughnuts and lo and behold, I found this wonderful Forum, this thread and the very topic I was looking for! I didn't remember the name, Mayflower, but I surely remember the "eatery" which my father would occasionally take me to on one of our periodic trips downtown around 1950 - 1955. Another one of several memorable eateries we would frequent was Pixley and Ehlers with the machine that issued a coupon which one gave the servers as we slid our trays along the various counters. My favorie dish was "chopped steak" with apple pie a la mode for desert!

AD:

Posted by: Julie (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: April 03, 2013 10:53PM

I worked (very, very briefly) and a Germanish Restaurant on State right by and across the street from the Chicago theater. Anyone know what it was? I think it was German. The facade was very unique, if I recall correctly.

AD:

Posted by: Hugh Manatee (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 04, 2013 12:45PM

HEY JULIE
Could it be Elfman's? Good Corned Beef and Potato pancakes.

AD:

Posted by: s justice (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 25, 2013 12:38AM

Tony owned the out of town newspaper stand.

AD:

Posted by: Mr Downtown (---.c3-0.drb-ubr1.chi-drb.il.cable.rcn.com)
Date: April 26, 2013 12:35PM

Julie Wrote:
> Germanish Restaurant on State right by and across the street
> from the Chicago theater. Anyone know what it was?

Sounds like the Old Heidelburg on Randolph just west of State. The façade is still there.

Of course, much earlier, Henrici's stood until 1962 where the Daley Center is, a bit of Alsace-Lorraine by way of Vienna.

AD:

Posted by: Cholly (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: January 23, 2014 02:45PM

RegularGuy55 Wrote:
> Pixley & Ehlers used to have a couple of
> restaurants in the Loop. The last one I remember
> was on Wells near Lake Street.
>
> P&E seemed to always be open. They sort of
> defined the phrase 'greasy spoon' with their
> cafeteria-style service.

Aha! I believe there was a Pixley & Ehlers on the north side of Lake Street just East of Wabash. When I worked at the old Burgess handicraft store at Lake and Wabash, I'd go there for lunch. Couldn't remember the name of the place. Thanks!

I also wouldl go to the Dainty Coffee Shop on Wabash, just north of the Alley between Randolph and Lake. It was convenient to the Chicago Theater and a lot of the stage performers would go there. I once sat next to Jerry Collona.

AD:

Posted by: Mikey (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 11, 2014 12:50AM

I seem to remember a Wimpy's on State st. near Randolph, next to that store where you could buy just about anything (the Treasure Chest?).

The Dill Pickle... makes my mouth water just thinking about their corned beef sandwiches. Closest thing to that (outside of Manny's, of course) is a place called the Onion Roll at 7000 west North avenue. A couple of Italian brothers designed the place to be like the old neighborhood delis of the 50s and 60s. Lunchtime there is wonderful.

Mikey

AD:

Posted by: davey7 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: February 13, 2014 05:12PM

Wimpy's, of course, being an international chain.

AD:

Date: February 13, 2014 07:11PM

I wonder if Wimpy's is still around? Time to Google. ;-)

Speaking of burger chains, I still remember hanging out at Henry's (Lincolnwood, on Lincoln north of Devon) back in the early-to-mid 1960s. Their hamburgers were similar to Mickey D's, but seemed a bit saltier. Maybe it was just my imagination.

Mikey

AD:

Posted by: justacruzr2 (---.260.popsite.net)
Date: August 22, 2014 02:14PM

Not exactly high cuisine but does anyone remember "The Forum". It was a cafeteria style eatery downtown I remember not far from the Randolph St Station. The food was in vending machine type slots in the wall and you would put the correct amount of change in the coin slot and the door would open and you would remove the item. Last time I was there was in the late 60's and it's long gone.

AD:

Date: August 22, 2014 02:57PM

I don't remember The Forum, but I do remember an "Automat"-style cafeteria on the East side of Wabash around Madison or Washington street. I believe it was Pixley and Ehlers. It was similar to the New York-style place caled Horn and Hardart.

Mike

AD:

Date: August 23, 2014 05:18PM

Mikey Wrote:
> I don't remember The Forum, but I do remember an
> "Automat"-style cafeteria on the East side of
> Wabash around Madison or Washington street. I
> believe it was Pixley and Ehlers. It was similar
> to the New York-style place caled Horn and
> Hardart.
>
> Mike

Hi Mike. Googled The Forum to get the address. It was located at 64 W. Madison Street. It existed until it had a fatal fire of 3 firemen in Jan, 1973. It was a 2 level cafeteria style restaurant.

AD:

Date: August 24, 2014 04:51PM

> It was located at 64 W. Madison Street. It existed until it had a fatal fire of 3 > firemen in Jan, 1973. It was a 2 level cafeteria style restaurant.

Wow. Sad to hear that. Thanx for the info. The one I remember was definitely on Wabash, so it wasn't Pixley's. Now I'm straining my brain to try to remember the name of the one I used to eat at. I'm almost positive it was around 100 (maybe a bit further south) on Wabash.

Mike

AD:

Date: August 25, 2014 02:12PM

Mikey Wrote:
> Wow. Sad to hear that. Thanx for the info. The one
> I remember was definitely on Wabash, so it wasn't
> Pixley's. Now I'm straining my brain to try to
> remember the name of the one I used to eat at. I'm
> almost positive it was around 100 (maybe a bit
> further south) on Wabash.
>
> Mike

A friend and I used to go downtown on the weekends in the 60's. We'd take the IC (Illinois Central) from 119th & Halsted to the Randolph Street Station. That's the Metra Electric nowadays. We'd go to Abercrombe & Fitch's (to see all the new contraptions they had), Kroch & Brentano's, the observation deck of the Prudential building (it was still the tallest building in Chicago at that time)and so many other places just to see everything. Sometimes we would stop at the Forum for something to eat (cheap) and sometimes we would go to the Wimpys which was around there somewhere.

AD:

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact