Old Beer Brands

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Old Beer Brands
Posted by: kuchnor (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 13, 2011 08:50PM

About the Drewry's plant on S. Damen. I grew up on 17th Street between Damen & Hoyne. The Drewry's plant was on the southeast corner of 17th & Damen. You could smell the beer when the wind blew from the east off Lake Michigan.

And on 18th & Damen, on the northeast corner, Bishop's Chili was located. Yum! But boy - was it ever spicy for a little girl!

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Posted by: jak378 (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 14, 2011 03:37PM

Wasn't their a brewery somewhere in, or close to the Little Village area. Somewhere around 2th between California and Pulaski?

AD:

Posted by: daveg (130.36.62.---)
Date: December 14, 2011 05:49PM

The Pilsen Brewery was located on 26th just east of Kedzie.

http://www.bierdeckelsammler.net/en/brewery/4877

They had a park/garden there as well.

Here's an image of the complex:

http://www.playle.com/listing.php?i=PLAYLE102790&PHPSESSID=a

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2011 05:51PM by daveg.

AD:

Posted by: Rustymuscle (---.lightspeed.elgnil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 14, 2011 09:44PM

I remember Bishop's well, used to work at Hastings and Leavitt in high school. But I did not know of the Drewry's plant there!

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell (63.226.79.---)
Date: December 22, 2011 06:51PM

This might fit under the 'Ghost Signs' thread as well, but:

There's an old tavern at 1410 N. Noble, visible from the Kennedy, that still had Edelweiss signs painted on the storefront windows. The storefront was removed this week.

AD:

Posted by: daveg (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 26, 2011 11:38AM

We saw the Edelweiss ghost sign while on a FC walk earlier this year. The building, at least the front section, did not look occupied.

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 (---.dhs.gov)
Date: January 05, 2012 03:50PM

The best beer ever made was Atlas Prager. My grandfather would not be without it. I remember when the old brewery on Blue Island was torn down, he would go to their new location (they merged with somebody on the south side) and he would load up his Packard with a dozen cases of beer. I think the brand finally disappeared about 1962, and which point he settled for Meister Brau.

AD:

Posted by: West Town (---.elgin.edu)
Date: January 12, 2012 03:29PM

Was Falstaff a Chicago Beer? I rememeber Harry Carey in the early 70's while he was still the Sox broadcaster hawking it before he became a "Bud" man.

AD:

Posted by: daveg (130.36.62.---)
Date: January 12, 2012 04:54PM

The history of Falstaff beer:

http://www.falstaffbrewing.com/history-falstaff-brewing.htm

AD:

Posted by: WDH74 (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 17, 2012 01:45AM

Funny I stumbled upon this thread. I recently spotted an old plastic illuminated Meister Brau sign, all the way out [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/williamdhopkins/6664278751/]in Hampshire![/url] It's facing the back alley of a bar.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2012 01:47AM by WDH74.

AD:

Posted by: coffeemom (---.sip.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 14, 2012 11:49PM

My Parents had a Mom and Pop grocery store in Riverside in the 1950's. I remember my Dad would sell Meister Brau Boch. It only was available once a year. He said it was the strong beer at the bottom of the kegs.

Was he pulling my leg?

AD:

Posted by: Mornac (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: June 15, 2012 02:41AM

coffeemom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My Parents had a Mom and Pop grocery store in
> Riverside in the 1950's. I remember my Dad would
> sell Meister Brau Boch. It only was available once
> a year. He said it was the strong beer at the
> bottom of the kegs.
>
> Was he pulling my leg?

I remember my dad buying Meister Brau Bock in the ‘60’s. It came around for a few weeks in the spring and it was still doing so in the ‘70’s when I started drinking beer myself. The story was the same around my north side neighborhood: It was the annual vat cleaning and there was some residual stuff at the bottom that the “bock” was made from. I only half believed that back then and I’m pretty sure I heard a more credible explanation somewhere along the line that I simply can’t remember. (Maybe I don't want to because the folklore version is far more interesting).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2012 02:49AM by Mornac.

AD:

Posted by: continentalbill3@yahoo.com (166.181.3.---)
Date: January 13, 2013 02:13AM

There was one brand i didnt see mentioned. PRIMA BEER ...it was a cheapbeer but you can remember we were paying 4 quarts for $1.25 + deposit was a nickel a bottle. quarts lol

AD:

Posted by: richard (---.tzwe1.win.bigpond.net.au)
Date: February 03, 2013 02:26AM

I worked in several Chicago breweries in the summer of 1960 between my sophomore and junior years of college. Canadian Ace was the pits. They made 40+ different beers there, including Bullfrog, Old Vienna, and dozens more. However, many of them came from the same vats. Their half gallon bottles sold for 50 cents.

Atlas Prager and Peter Hand were the cleanest and best of the four breweries I worked in that summer. At Canadian Ace you could drink beer while you worked because there was no foreman around on the night shift. The other breweries restricted workers to two beers at lunch time, and one at each break.

AD:

Posted by: zorchvalve (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: February 05, 2013 09:07PM

I remember Meister Brau, but wasn't there a beer called Brau Meister?

AD:

Posted by: PKDickman (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 05, 2013 09:30PM

zorchvalve Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I remember Meister Brau, but wasn't there a beer
> called Brau Meister?

Yes, and both of them were brewed by the Peter Hand Brewery, technically.

Peter Hand originally brewed Meister Brau. In the the '70s they were a sinking ship, and they sold their brands names to Miller who went on brew Meister Brau.

However they sold the rest of the business to Jos Huber Brewing, who tried to make a go with "Old Chicago"and "Braumeister"

Both were typical, low priced Huber fare and I drank a lot of them when I was in college.

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 (---.dhs.gov)
Date: February 06, 2013 01:11PM

Atlas Prager Beer was long our family's beer of choice. My grandfather served it in his restaurant on Loomis Street, and after he retired, there were always a few cases in the basement. I believe they went out of business around 1962, and I remember going with him down to the old brewery to try and get some beer. We wound up with some beer called "Lesley's" (?) which wasn't as good, and at that time my grandfather switched to Meister Brau. I still have a lot of Atlas Prager memoriblila from the old restaurant.

AD:

Posted by: Hugh Manatee (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 19, 2013 04:46PM

Does anyone remember a beer called NUDE. It had a thermalsensitive label, which was a picture of a girl in a bathing suit. As the glass bottle warmed up the inked in suit would become transparent. Need I say More?

AD:

Posted by: ChicagoHal (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 27, 2013 08:03PM

At some point, it seems that someone bought the name for Fox Deluxe because my dad used to get it in the late 70's and possibly into the early 80's. He found it one day in those returnable cases at a place in Des Plaines and it was apparently pretty cheap.

Many years ago, I noticed that a building along a train route that I took had the names Tysons Foods and Fox Deluxe on it.

If you look at Google's street view for 370 N. Morgan, you can see the building still says Fox Deluxe on several sides.

From a search, it appears that Tysons Foods acquired something called Fox Deluxe Foods at some point, so it is probably completely unrelated.

AD:

Posted by: tomz (157.166.167.---)
Date: March 01, 2013 03:17PM

In case you were wondering what the old Atlas Brewery on Blue Island looked like, [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/30885260@N06/3095382745/in/photostream/lightbox/]slap your lamps on this[/url].

AD:

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact