1935 N. Fairfield

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
1935 N. Fairfield
Posted by: brianq (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: May 24, 2011 06:23PM

I live in an old converted warehouse at 1935 N. Fairfield. I'm curious what it may have been constructed for originally. I’m curious if anyone might know it’s history, or have access to old maps that they wouldn’t mind taking a gander at. It was built in 1918. The old freight elevator car is gone, but it still has the original elevator motor in use. Big old sucker. It's connected underground to 1934 N. Washtenaw...and may even have been connected at one time to 2701 w. armitage. Lots of underground vaults/passageways.

Thanks!
Brian

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: 1935 N. Fairfield
Posted by: WayOutWardell (63.226.79.---)
Date: May 24, 2011 11:18PM

You're probably right about the buildings being connected...I found the following through Google Books:
In a November 1913 issue of 'The Iron Age', which appears to be a building trade publication, 'the Oscar Heineman Company, silk manufacturer, Chicago, has had plans prepared for the erection of a four-story factory, 98 x 119 feet, at Armitage and Fairfield Avenues, the estimated cost being $15,000'.

Then, listed in the December 1918 issue of 'The American Contractor' is: 'Silk Factory, $200,000, 4-story, 125 x 125, 1935-45 N. Fairfield Av. Engrs, Lockwood, Green & Co., 38 S. Dearborn St., owners C. Heineman & Co., O. Heineman, pres., Gen. Contrator & Carp. R.C. Weiboldt Constr. Co., 1534 W Van Buren, wiring let to Beaver Elec. Co., 30 N. LaSalle St.'.

Either there's a typo between the two building costs, or prices really inflated in five years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2011 11:20PM by WayOutWardell.

AD:

Posted by: brianq (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 25, 2011 02:04AM

Thanks so much! I'm looking into that info now. Seems like silk it was...both at 1935 N. Fairfield, 2701 W. Armitage and on Washtenaw...all connected. Very cool information. Thanks so much for looking into it. The company name yields ads and more online.

AD:

Posted by: brianq (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 25, 2011 09:17AM

Wow. Based on your information I found out our building was constructed by the same builders that constructed the Museum of Science and Industry, Shedd Aquarium, Union Station, the foundation for the Trib. Tower, and more. Very cool.

Might you be able to wrangle up any info on another interesting building, our neighbor across the street at 2735 W. Armitage? Another brick loft warehouse built around the same time.

Thanks!
Brian

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 25, 2011 12:22PM

I believe 2735 W. Armitage is the Heineman factory built in 1913. In 1915, Oscar Heineman and some others were sued 'to recover the value of services rendered in the sale of a certain realty at the southwest corner of Armitage and Fairfield Avenues'. Heineman won (the case lists his address as 2960 N. Lake Shore Drive).

The company apparently grew quickly in the early 1900s - in 1908, there's an announcement of a two-story 'factory and gas-plant' being built for them at the southeast corner of Armitage/Fairfield (probably 2701), and as late as 1925 there's another building going up on Washtenaw near Armitage. In the 30s, the city's public works reports list a bridge and tunnels being built to connect the buildings.

Later, there are a few mentions of the company being bought by Aetna Industrial Corp. (did they also own Aetna Plywood on Elston?) in the late 40s, and a small mention in 1954 of the selling off of the textile equipment.

Later on, it looks as though the buildings were occpuied by the Henri Fayette-Chayson's stationery and greeting card company. In a couple of publications from the 80s, the company address is alternately listed as 2735 W. Armigate and/or 1934 N. Washtenaw.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2011 12:35PM by WayOutWardell.

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 26, 2011 02:31AM

From the Chicago Trolley Coach website:

[url=http://www.trolleybuses.net/chi/htm/usa_h_chi_mh_9641_rt73armitagefairfield_19660610_ss.htm]Armitage & Fairfield, 1966[/url]

The 2735 building is barely visible on the left side of the photo.

AD:

Posted by: Elaine W (192.175.17.---)
Date: May 26, 2011 06:27PM

Wardell--prices did inflate in that time period--it coincides with World War I. The European war began in August 1914, although the US didn't join until April 1917, but the European war affected the US economy in many ways. Among other problems: a) fewer new immigrants coming to the US after 1914, driving up labor costs (then, as now, employers could get away with paying new immigrants less than what they would pay more established workers); b) limited imports of material from various European countries (again, driving up costs of what was available); and c) US-made products were in greater demand for export (especially to non-European countries, like Australia, China, and Japan), again driving up costs of what was available locally. And when the US did enter the war, there were labor shortages due to the large number of working men who were drafted into the military.

AD:

Posted by: grngrl01 (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 22, 2012 03:58AM

Yes, it was an Oscar Heineman Company (silk manufacturer) building. Actually, my grandfather worked there in his 20's as a stenographer in years around 1917.

AD:

Posted by: Pestromy (---.sub-174-253-16.myvzw.com)
Date: January 21, 2014 06:33PM

My grandma work there during the early 30's. She always talked about it being the worst job she ever had due to the horrible and dangerous working conditions. But, she always pointed out that she was just glad to have a job during the worst parts of the depression.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact