Hyde Park Towers

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Hyde Park Towers
Posted by: jak378 (---.dyn.embarqhsd.net)
Date: May 19, 2011 06:12PM

Back in the late 40's and early 50's my grandmother managed a twin aparement hotel, The Hyde Park Towers, located at 810 and 818 East Hyde Park Blvd. I am wondering if anyone remembers the old place and if anyone has any pictures of the buildings or surrounding areas. I lived there from about 19466 through 1949, and then visited on weekends until about 1952. I believe that the buildings were originally known as the Vermont Hotel, and were built for the 1893 Colombian Exposition.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2011 06:13PM by jak378.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Hyde Park Towers
Posted by: davey7 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: May 23, 2011 04:38PM

You're talking about the block between Cottage and Drexel on the north side of Drexel Square? There are two apartment buildings there, but nothing hotel like. There is a CHA senior building at the corner of Cottage and HPB. There is a new building called Hyde Park Tower, but it's not the one you are referring to. The Hyde Park Historical Society might have some information, as might the Hyde Park Herald online archives.

AD:

Date: May 23, 2011 06:07PM

Yup, that is the exact location I am talking about. it is across from Drexel Park. To the best of my knowledge, the Towers were torn down aver 20 years ago, probably more like 30. They were replaced by some kind of subsidized housing apartments. I haven't been there for some time now, but as I recall the building that you are talking about replaced another large courtyard building that was next door to the Towers. I seem to remember that building still being there after the Towers were replaced, but I may be mistaken and they may have all been replaced at the same time.

The Towers were referred to as an apartment hotel, made, I suppose for longer stays. When I knew them they primarily catered to folks that were not in great financial straits, but that were working and could afford basic housing. In the late 40's there was a significant number of Jewish refugees living in the Towers.

Thanks for the advice about sources.

AD:

Posted by: Elaine W (192.175.17.---)
Date: May 23, 2011 06:58PM

The demolition of the buildings you're referring to is probably closer to 40 or 50 years ago, rather than 20 or 30 years, because most urban renewal in that neighborhood took place in the 1950's and into the early 1960's. I'm pretty sure that the CHA senior citizens building that's now in that area was designed by Keck & Keck, but I'm not sure of the date it was built. Keck & Keck were very active in the 1950's & 1960's, and maybe into the 1970's.

AD:

Date: May 24, 2011 07:53PM

You could be absolutely correct about when they were demolished, but I do seem to remember showing them to my wife after 1967. I may have shown them to a couple of my kids after 197 also, but it is a really hazy memory. I have no doubt that they were gone by the mid 70's.

AD:

Date: May 31, 2011 11:51AM

Elaine, I'm not sure that they are K&K, I'll try and remember to check in "the book" which is usually accurate about their projects (they did two or three senior buildings for the CHA). They were active from the 30's (if not earlier) until the very early 80's (a solar subdivision in LaPorte County).

Apparently Drexel Square Apartments was the first CHA senior building and would have been built before '59 according to what I can find online. It may not currently be a "CHA" property either - it's not listed on their website (very interesting, at least to me).

AD:

Posted by: querencia (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 15, 2011 11:53PM

You might go to ebay and then to "chicago postcards"---hundreds of antique postcards of Chicago, including many of hotels, will come up. They change all the time so keep trying.

AD:

Posted by: jak378 (184.4.166.---)
Date: June 16, 2011 06:20PM

Querencia-This falls into the category of "Why didn't I think of that?" I went to EBAY and found not a postcard, but a 4 X 5 inch negative taken on November 25, 1960, which is apparently just before the demolition. A little pricey, but I ordered it anyway. Now I would love to get some photos of interior spaces, but that may be too much to ask. Maybe I will get lucky and someone on here who also lived there at one time will see this and be able to provide one.

Thanks again.

AD:

Date: July 05, 2011 11:55AM

I finally checked the book this weekend. The new building is, in fact, Keck & Keck.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact