Soup to Nuts

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Soup to Nuts
Posted by: b.a.hoarder (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 05, 2011 09:37PM

Frank asked, so I'll start a corner store thread; here's my recollection from 25th & Washtenaw. I lived there until the age of five and for sure I remember Patek's store at 2702 W. 25th. The Patek family ran the kind of store that had just about anything a housewife or homeowner might need. Daily staples for the kitchen? Sure! Maybe dad needs a pair of bib overalls, or a shovel. Ice cream cone, Pop-sicle? You bet. My mother was pretty handy (spell that thrifty) and I remember her story that old man Patek was surprised when she bought a couple feet of lamp cord to repair a lamp herself.
I think there were two kids in their family, an older girl and Tommy. Tommy was about my age. For relaxation mom liked to go Downtown to shop for bargains. The summer we moved ('54) dad was in charge one day when mom went shopping. Tommy went into the basement of the store and came out with what we thought was rock candy. Actually it was rock salt and believe me it won't take much to make you feel pretty bad. The family doctor said to give me milk to drink and no, I won't go into the rest of the details. So much for hustling some candy.
I don't recall what was on the NE corner, but there was a tavern on the SE corner and there are still CHA Projects on the SW corner.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Soup to Nuts
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: May 06, 2011 08:41AM

That rings a bell . Was this in Little Village ?. The Name Patek Really rings a bell with me . I think He was a little way from My grandmothers store On 26 th Back then . Can you give me more Info that little corner store .

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact