Avondale, Central Park & Addison Six-Corners Intersection

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Avondale, Central Park & Addison Six-Corners Intersection
Posted by: jasontinkey (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: March 30, 2011 02:05PM

For some time, I have been trying in vain to find photos or any information about what stood at the six-corner intersection of Avondale, Central Park & Addison. Today, it's right where Addison crosses over the Kennedy, and Avondale & Central Park are no longer through streets. Anybody have any recollections?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2011 02:51PM by jasontinkey.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Avondale Avenue
Posted by: fleurblue (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 30, 2011 03:01PM

There was a Northwestern station at the southeast corner of Addison and Avondale which burned down (arson) long before the Kennedy was built. Never replaced.

I was in grade school when they bulldozed the area and played there on the rubble on weekends. I remember sledding down the newly banked entrance ramps. My brother got an awful cut on his face playing there.

Many plaster cracks appeared at our house due to the blasting of solid limestone at Addison. The limestone cropped up higher than was expected at that location.

I remember stores and a gas station on the west side of Avondale just south of Addison. An old grocery store (which probably did well when the train station existed), a laundromat, and a tavern.

Unfortunately, I don't remember the actual neighborhood which was razed.

AD:

Re: Avondale, Central Park & Addison Six-Corners Intersection
Posted by: MIKETOUHY (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 30, 2011 09:08PM

Are you sure that station was at Addison?

I know there was a station in between I'rving PK. and Clyborn but I belong to a yahoo group on the C&NW and as strange as it might seem, they mention there a station at one of the side streets in between Addison & Belmont.

AD:

Date: March 30, 2011 11:19PM

I'm pretty sure it was there. I remember passing by the structure and the stairway leading up. I don't remember it being that large.

Also, I remember when it burned down and I was told the fire was set by one of the boys from St. Wenceslaus school.

AD:

Posted by: CrazyIvan25 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 31, 2011 02:20PM

Are there many photos of the area before the Kennedy? I have seen some pictures taken of other areas that got bulldozed for the highway, but are there many photos of these places?

AD:

Date: March 31, 2011 08:24PM

No photos that I know of.

AD:

Posted by: Mr Downtown (---.c3-0.drb-ubr1.chi-drb.il.cable.rcn.com)
Date: April 01, 2011 01:36AM

Here's a 1952 aerial from HistoricAerials.com
[url=http://i53.tinypic.com/2czrkhk.jpg]1952 aerial photo[/url]

The North Western's Parkview station was located on the south side of Parkview Terrace, north of Addison St., on the north side of the tracks. It was closed in the great 1958 purge of low-traffic C&NW stations and branches. [url=http://web.me.com/willvdv/chirailfan/msalost.html]Here's a guide to lost commuter stations.[/url]

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2011 02:44AM by Mr Downtown.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact