Cermak vs. 22nd Street

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Cermak vs. 22nd Street
Posted by: barsntone (---.nat.trb.com)
Date: March 04, 2011 03:12PM

Chicago Now blogger <a href="http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/unknown-chicago/2011/03/big-lies-on-the-dan-ryan.html">John Schmidt has noticed a funny thing about an exit sign on the Ryan</a>

<BR>

Gotta say having driven this stretch hundreds of times never noticed this. What’s interesting, too, if you’re on 294 heading south they have the big exit sign for Cermak road but in parenthesis (22nd street).

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Cermak vs. 22nd Street
Posted by: Mr Downtown (---.c3-0.drb-ubr1.chi-drb.il.cable.rcn.com)
Date: March 04, 2011 11:03PM

I've wondered about this for many years, and when the Ryan was rebuilt five years ago they made all new signs--but didn't take the opportunity to change it.

The situation on I-294 is different because it's only Cermak Rd. in Cook County. In DuPage County, the street signs say 22nd St. I-294 straddles the county line at that point.

AD:

Posted by: bwalsh (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 05, 2011 04:13PM

I admit to never ever noticing and even when I first saw the article I couldn't figure out what he meant by there being no 22nd St. My first reaction was "What do you mean? Of course there is - what else would Cermak be?" HaHa! It's kind of like I just know that 39th is Pershing and 12th is Roosevelt Rd. And if someone says Crawford, I know that it's Pulaski and South Park is King Dr and the Outer Drive is LSD and the Congress is really the IKE.
Tourists might get confused, but then I imagine it's not hard to get confused on our expressways no matter what the signs read. God help them in the suburbs!

AD:

Posted by: the_mogra (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: April 20, 2015 05:07PM

only intransigent bureuacracy of the most officious kind would insist on street nomenclature differing on which dan ryan direction you're headed at that point. tourists confused? of course, surely that was their plan all along! sarcasm aside it never occurs to the IDOT signage dept to take a 'plain english' approach to things like that, i.e., decide on which name serves the destination best (native Chicagoan or tourist) and just ignore the arcane details of what is technically applicable on either side of I-290 (sticking fast to a point like that definitely has the potential of hurting travelers much more than any benefit). If undecided using dual names on exit signs like that is not without its own merits, but just call it one uniform thing (in the vicinity). Only fruitcakes would voice a complaint about that

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2015 05:12PM by the_mogra.

AD:

Posted by: tomcat630 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 01, 2015 02:57AM

Oak Brook, Lombard, Glen Ellyn and Du Page County call the 2200 S road, "22nd St." I am thinking it's a territorial thing. "We aren't going to name the street after a Chicago Mayor". Same as how Lincolnwood and Skokie still used Crawford for 4000 W.

But then Roosevelt Rd stays same all the way to Kane County line.

AD:

The Hamlin Club / 3757West 57th Street, Chicago60629
Posted by: Leila O'Shea (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: May 26, 2015 11:29PM

I'm looking for the ownership of this property in the late 1800 to early 1940's
I was in this building in the late fifties. It was a bar on the main floor and it had a beautiful ballroom upstairs. Does anyone remember it?

AD:

Posted by: SWEDE (---.lightspeed.iplsin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 27, 2015 12:19AM

I lived on 55th and Komensky starting in the mid 50's and I remember the Hamlin Club. My parents went there a couple of times for a wedding etc.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact