Lincoln Park Zoo Pony Rides

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Lincoln Park Zoo Pony Rides
Posted by: Kchi (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: February 28, 2011 02:09PM

Someone did a posting about stables near Lincoln Park , which called to mind a memory of pony rides at Lincoln Park Zoo.

Does annybody have any memories or details as to when the rides closed?

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Lincoln Park Zoo Pony Rides
Posted by: nancybc (---.va.shawcable.net)
Date: February 28, 2011 04:40PM

I don't remember when the rides closed- but, around 1944 or so, when I was 8, the ponies were being kept at the New Parkway stables. My father thought it would be fun for me to have a ride and so lifted me up and the ride began in the pen. Somehow, the pony got spooked and fled out of the pen and made a fast beeline for the stables.
He not only reached the stables in record time but actually went up the ramp to the second floor stalls where he considered 'home'.
My father and at least one of the pony handlers were in frantic pursuit as the pony and I thundered through the park to the stables. THey were horrified and I was having the time of my life. By the time they reached us, I was breathless and hooked on riding. Bless my father, as scared as he was he recognized that somehow he had a natural rider on his hands and lessons began shortly afterwards. I still love the memory of that pony!
Nancy

AD:

Posted by: chitownlioness (---.hlrn.qwest.net)
Date: March 04, 2012 12:20AM

I was just thinking about the pony ridesat Lincoln Park Zoo the other day. Wow I rode there in the 60's me and mys sister Lori. fun times. memories

AD:

Posted by: telefrank (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 09, 2012 12:13AM

I'm 58 and I recall getting taken to a pony ride at Lincoln Park which would place it in the 60's. Now I know it wasn't in the zoo if that's what you are referring to. But I also remember that the rides where near the old viking ship that was left over from the Columbian Exposition. The rides were just around a circle and I'm thinking maybe there was a person walking along but I'm not sure. But I definitely do remember doing this with my cousins and godmother.

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 09, 2012 04:38PM

You are right about a person walking along side of you on the horse. I remember that as well as going around in a circle. I don't quite remember where this took place though.

AD:

Posted by: FRANKIE C FROM GRAND AND HARLEM (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: August 25, 2012 07:53PM

I REMEMBER THE HORSES KEPT ON CLARK ST. THEY WERE WORK HORSES FOR THE RAG COLLECTORS AND VEGETABLE SELLERS

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact