Starks Warehouse

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Starks Warehouse
Posted by: chevyliddle (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 08, 2011 10:13AM

I'm a new member and I noticed the postings regarding Stark's Warehouse. When I was in highschool in the early 60s, Starks was selling a shirt that was very popular among people in their teens. It was a pull over with no collar and a drawstring neck. It had 3/4 length sleeves with about a 2" vertical slit on both sides at the bottom. It was never tucked in and was usually bright colors with 2" wide horizontal stripes. It had a particular name and we could only find them at Starks. Anyone remember what they were called?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2011 05:33PM by chevyliddle.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Starks Warehouse
Posted by: HOLTANEK (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 08, 2011 11:56AM

I dont remember the clothing article you're asking about, but I do remember Starks. I had a friend that would always buy their Navy Oxford shoes, and it's where we would buy old Army surplus pea coats and other stuff. My Starks was across from the Harlem Irving Plaza but there was another Starks somewhere on south Harlem.

AD:

Posted by: chevyliddle (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 08, 2011 01:56PM

I thought I remembered one being on Harlem near Archer Ave. I didn't know there was another but some of the posts here mentioned one on the near west side on Madison.

AD:

Posted by: chicken man (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2011 02:54AM

Starks! What a joint!
Canal street, somewhere between 22nd&16th. A huge dummy bomb above the door. You had to cross a footbridge to enter the sickly yellow building. Been ther a hundred times with my Dad as a child; never bought a damn thing!

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 (---.dhs.gov)
Date: December 14, 2011 07:01PM

There was another Starks at the 4200 block of north Harlem.

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 (---.dhs.gov)
Date: December 23, 2011 06:53PM

Now that I think about it more, Starks was a really interesting place. The main thing we went there for was the small ceramic tiles that were popular in the 1960's. My mother was heavily into crafts and bought those all of the time. They also had a lot of army surplus stuff, tools, camping stuff. The building was kind of a rambling place, and I remember that the roof had a lot of leaks. The Starks on 4200 N. Harlem burned down in a spectacular fire in the 1980's and the site is now the location of a Bank of America branch. There was another store on south Harlem, around 59th I believe, and a third store on Canal Street, right by the Air Line Tracks at 16th St. As stated, that you had to enter that store on a foot bridge from the elevated Canal Street sidewalk. That building still exists and was a storage place a few years ago.

AD:

Re: Starks Warehouse and bowling alley across the street.
Posted by: BigBadAMX1970 (64.134.165.---)
Date: December 24, 2011 04:03PM

Reading about Stark's at 59th and Harlem was a blast from the past! My question is more about the bowling alley that was across the street. Is it still there or torn down? And what was the name of it. I was last there(at the bowling alley) in the early 80's and remember seeing a very neat black and white line art painting inside of a winter scene of a city..turn of the century stuff. I always wanted to know who painted that and where I can get a print.

Happy Holidays to all

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact