Intersection Milwaukee,Central, Foster, Northwest Highway

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Intersection Milwaukee,Central, Foster, Northwest Highway
Posted by: Kchi (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 07, 2011 10:48AM

I seem to remember that at one time there was a business in the middle of this busy intersection. Currently there are flowers and benches. It seems strange that this may have been private property since I doubt whether there would have been parking allowed. I believe the business may have been for windows.

Can anybody shed any light as to whether my memory is correct and if so fill in any details or memories.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2011 01:03PM by Kchi.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Intersection Milkwaukee,Central Foster
Posted by: Chipast (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: February 07, 2011 01:10PM

Years ago on the east side of the street was a Pick N' Save, Then a Community Discount Center extension just south of the older facility-Which The Blue Angel Restaurant now stands, Then a Saxon Paint & Wallpaper. Between Foster & Central on N.Milwaukee.

AD:

Posted by: tomcat630 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 09, 2011 03:40AM

I can't stand driving on the section of Foster that jogs near Lovejoy Av, and has stop signs, just east of Milwaukee. I avoid it if I can.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2011 03:41AM by tomcat630.

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 09, 2011 01:03PM

For some reason, I remember a seafood restaurant being around there, too, might have gone there as a kid...perhaps where the empty Burger King is now?

AD:

Posted by: Chipast (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: February 09, 2011 06:12PM

Yes, I do remember a, I believe it was Neptune's Cove on NW Hwy. During the mid 1970's-early 1980's was a Rustler steak house.

AD:

Date: February 11, 2011 12:54PM

I found a public notice dated Oct 28,1983 that mentions the acquisition of two parcels of land of 2,800 and 3,500 square feet in the middle of the intersections of Milwaukee,Central,Foster,Northwest Highway. To me, this would indicate that both parcels may have been private property at one time. I still have not been able to find any mention of businesses being run on these parcels.

Chipast mentions some of the businesses that were at the intersection, but not in the middle. Where the shopping center with the 7-11 and Radio Shack are, there used to be in the 80s-90s a supermarket called Edmars, that probably was a old National A&P or Jewel, I remember when the shopping center was approved, the alderman promised the community who were concered about the loss of the supermarket that the new shopping center would have a food store. Typically like most Chicago politicians and developers promises, once the ink was dried and the new shopping center built, the space that was suppose to be a food store was leased to American Scientific and the "food store" that those people who had to walk to do their shopping was limited to a 7-11. now those people have to walk another four blocks to a Jewel or a couple of miles to a Dominicks.

Amazing how many of these projects in Chicago after public hearings and zoning changes, the original project that was discussed never materializes.

AD:

Posted by: Chipast (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 11, 2011 02:16PM

Kchi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I found a public notice dated Oct 28,1983 that
> mentions the acquisition of two parcels of land of
> 2,800 and 3,500 square feet in the middle of the
> intersections of
> Milwaukee,Central,Foster,Northwest Highway. To
> me, this would indicate that both parcels may have
> been private property at one time. I still have
> not been able to find any mention of businesses
> being run on these parcels.
>
> Chipast mentions some of the businesses that were
> at the intersection, but not in the middle. Where
> the shopping center with the 7-11 and Radio Shack
> are, there used to be in the 80s-90s a supermarket
> called Edmars, that probably was a old National
> A&P or Jewel, I remember when the shopping center
> was approved, the alderman promised the community
> who were concered about the loss of the
> supermarket that the new shopping center would
> have a food store. Typically like most Chicago
> politicians and developers promises, once the ink
> was dried and the new shopping center built, the
> space that was suppose to be a food store was
> leased to American Scientific and the "food store"
> that those people who had to walk to do their
> shopping was limited to a 7-11. now those people
> have to walk another four blocks to a Jewel or a
> couple of miles to a Dominicks.
>
> Amazing how many of these projects in Chicago
> after public hearings and zoning changes, the
> original project that was discussed never
> materializes.

The supermarket was orignally a National, Then A&P, Then Edmars.

AD:

Re: Intersection Milwaukee,Central, Foster, Northwest Highway
Posted by: Mr Downtown (---.c3-0.drb-ubr1.chi-drb.il.cable.rcn.com)
Date: February 20, 2011 01:12PM

Here's the triangle in 1972, courtesy of [url=http://historicaerials.com/]HistoricAerials.com[/url]

The triangle is vacant in the 1988 photos.

AD:

Posted by: spargispizza (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 20, 2011 02:06AM

I grew up near Gladstone Park in the 70's to the 90's. When we were kids we would ride our bikes on the ramps at the old Rustler's Steak House on the corner of NW Hwy and Foster (across from Habetler). The steak house became Chubbs Pier Seafood after that. I think it was then tore down to put in the Burger King and lastly Popeyes.

The grocery store on Milwaukee that was next to Blue Angel was National in the 70's then Butera's then Edmar's.
There was also a plumbing supply distributor; "Fix Lippman" where Blockbuster is now.

Uncle Charlies restaurant occupied the parcel of land on the Southeast Corner of NW Hwy and Central. Just northwest of the Walgreen's parking lot.

I remember going past the building that Walgreens is occupying now and seeing pallets of what looked like cans of Whipped Cream. I don't know if it was some kind of dairy or what the industry was.

Does anyone remember the camping store "Camping Unlimited", located on Milwaukee close to where the Firestone is.

AD:

Posted by: c5rulz (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 16, 2012 09:26PM

Grew up in that area. The coolest spot was Henry's Drive-in Restaurant on the corner of Milwaukee and Central ... that was in the ealy 60's. Another cool car hang-out.

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 17, 2012 02:25AM

Kchi,
I remember businesses being in those triangles of property in the middle of the intersections around the early 70's. I believe it was for windows and siding. I always wondered how people would go there with no parking.

AD:

Posted by: davey7 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: February 17, 2012 12:05PM

Maybe, since it was a siding business, "they came to you"? A coffee shop or something impulse food related would do well in the middle of an intersection where people got out of the wind and rain or traffic (though how much pedestrian traffic there was here I can't say). I'm eager to hear what it started out as.

I hate this intersection now though (although I love American Science and Surplus). It'll still be better than the new Damen/Diversey intersection (I think that's what I'm thinking of) which is gonna be a nightmare.

AD:

Posted by: IMissChicago (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 31, 2012 02:39AM

I believed that there was a pizza joint also that was called Pasqulies. Sorry about that spelling

AD:

Posted by: Jazzman (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 08, 2012 01:45AM

In the 1930sw there was a small snack shop Diner located on the triangle.

This was also the end of the line Layover location for the Central Trolleybus at that time.

There is a photo at... [url=http://www.trolleybuses.net/chi/chi.htm]Chicago Trolleybus Photos[/url]

once there click on [b]the rest[/b]
then click the section [b]First Generation ETB's[/b]

Also to the above comments....When Henrys Hambergers closed, the building became Pasquales Pizza.

AD:

Posted by: continentalbill3@yahoo.com (166.181.3.---)
Date: September 16, 2012 12:04AM

there was a restaurant on Milwaukee & cenral calledthe BLUE ANGEL.Years later i moved to Jefferson Park cause things got rough around Humboldt Park. I am presently living in the Lake Geneva area, quiet up here.

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 23, 2012 09:31AM

I just read that the Blue Angel closed this last October. We use to go there after bowling at Habetler.

AD:

Date: September 25, 2012 03:36PM

The Blue Angel was replaced by Finnegan's Pub which is suppose to be run by the same family that last ran the restaurant.

AD:

Posted by: Jazzman (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 23, 2012 04:01PM

you posted ...[quote=Posted by: IMissChicago (---.nc.res.rr.com) Date: May 30, 2012 11:39PM I believed that there was a pizza joint also that was called Pasqulies. Sorry about that spelling][/quote]

YES.... They opened up in the former Henrys Hamburger locations

AD:

Posted by: continentalbill3@yahoo.com (166.181.3.---)
Date: December 25, 2012 03:46AM

[b][color=#FF3300]i also lived a few blocks from the blue angel. it was an all night restaurant and all my c.b. radio pals hung out there at night. thats a crazy corner theres a beef joing on one a walgreens on another, the new improved cop shop south of that , and the beautiful jefferson park where i lived on lawrence and laporte address 4728 small bungalow. i also moved there from humbolt park when it got too rough because my wife worked at playskool, the old motorola plant west of there and some guy robbed her going to work and she was terrrified. My boss thomas keane insisted that the precinct captains had to live in the ward which halfof them didnt except for the old toimers like nate levine and a few others but i got the hell out. at the time we were living west of pulaski and iowa. i started looking for a new neighborhood and liked jefferson park where we lived unti she died. i worked for the city of chicago for 25 years and in 93 we had an early buyout. we had 6 months to decide and we decided to get out for obvious reasons. i worked for ed nedza in the 31st ward and was a precinct captain and my day job was dept. of buildings as a building inspector. i put in my 25years & got the hell out. i am presently living in delavan,wi. watching the squirels and chipmunks since i had a strokea few years ago & cant partake of the scotch.But all in all thats my story and i tend to be long winded ..hey i just discovered thissite it brings back so many memories. I SHALL RETURN SOON.

[/color][/b]

AD:

Posted by: jvp55 (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 29, 2012 08:37PM

i recall that the last business that occupied that small park was a storm window seller and repair. where paterno is now used to be a cta bus turn around. paterno was at the triangle corner and the cta station was behind it.

AD:

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact