Corner Stores

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Corner Stores
Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 13, 2014 08:51PM

Mikey, that library is gone now!

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Posted by: Mikey (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 13, 2014 09:00PM

The AP branch at Kimball? Unreal! I just drove past that intersection a month ago, and hadn't noticed! Thanx for the info. Sad to see the place go. When I was growing up in AP, I'd go to the location prior to that one, which was on the north side of Lawrence ave. halfway bewtween Drake and Central Park.

Mikey

AD:

Posted by: Jeff_Weiner (---.sub-70-194-98.myvzw.com)
Date: May 13, 2014 11:09PM

Mikey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The AP branch at Kimball? Unreal! I just drove
> past that intersection a month ago, and hadn't
> noticed! Thanx for the info. Sad to see the place
> go. When I was growing up in AP, I'd go to the
> location prior to that one, which was on the north
> side of Lawrence ave. halfway bewtween Drake and
> Central Park.
>
> Mikey

Actually, I think they're building a new one to replace it.

AD:

Posted by: gman (---.sfltd.com)
Date: May 14, 2014 10:20AM

Thanks Mikey, clearly a brain fart on my part. Of course it was Foster (as per my Flip Side reference).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2014 10:21AM by gman.

AD:

Posted by: Mikey (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 14, 2014 04:12PM

Gman: Not a problem. And I'm sure if I hadn't posted that, my friend FranCarmen would have. She's the expert on that neighborhood. ;-)

Mikey

AD:

Date: May 14, 2014 05:55PM

I see the the library is gone as well as the homes west of it to the yellow three story apartment building.

AD:

Posted by: Karen (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: June 19, 2014 10:23AM

"Millies" on 28th & Spaulding, was a popular corner store growing up. Everyone from McCormick School, would go there. On 27th & Spaulding, there was another called "Tillies". Anyone remember?

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 (---.dhs.gov)
Date: June 19, 2014 01:20PM

Our local corner store was Sally's Certified Foods at 6949 W. Addison St., corner of New England Avenue. Originally, the store was located at the SE corner of Newcastle and Addison (now a dentist's office), but I remember when they built the new store, with an apartment for the family above, in 1960. Papa Ted, Mama Sally, and sons Ted (the butcher) and Mitch (took care of the other groceries and made deliveries) all worked in the store. First Papa Ted passed away, and then Ted Jr., the butcher. Sally and Mitch struggled on for quite a while, but eventually sold the store to two Italian brothers, Rocco and Benny, but continued to live upstairs. Rocco and Benny were able to keep the place going for quite a while, but eventually were forced out by the competition from the bigger stores, and the store closed for good about eight years ago. I tried to buy as much of my groceries as possible from them, as their prices were not that much different than the large chains, and quite frankly, the meat they sold was excellent. With the exception of one guy who tried to reopen the store and only lasted a few months, the store sat empty for years, until recently being taken over by a karate school. I really miss being able to go down the street for a gallon of milk or a loaf of bread.

AD:

Date: June 19, 2014 02:02PM

We use to shop at that at the new Sally's Certified as well back in the mid 1970's. I can remember going to the doctors office on the corner for a checkup after surgery as well.

AD:

Date: June 19, 2014 02:40PM

I can't place any doctor's office at that corner. One corner was Sally's, the other Martin Luther Church, and there were two houses on the other corners. Are you thinking about the doctor's offices that were at the corner at Nora or Neva?

AD:

Posted by: GoodStew (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: June 23, 2014 10:57PM

My parents ran the grocery and butcher shop on the corner of 30th and Kolin. "POZEMSKI'S FOOD MART' Two blocks North of what was then known as Lawndale Park (across from HomeRunIn pizza) and a bit East of the Midway Drive-In, and Cicero.

I remember the day they shut her down in 1962 after Jewel opened on 26th street. We just couldn't compete. None of the little "corner stores" could.

AD:

Date: June 24, 2014 01:56PM

Dunning1, wasn't that Sally's at Addison and Neva? That's where I am talking about.

AD:

Posted by: bob427 (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: September 01, 2014 01:02PM

The kids dream. i lived in back of a candyy store. It was called Okries at the corner of Talman and Wabansia. It was strange looking back now. At the end of the same block was Zayers store. half a block to the west was a nother store namd Vicks.Then half block East was another store dont remember the name.So within one block theire was 4 stores.I could stand and see all the stores..

bobby

AD:

Date: September 02, 2014 12:07PM

No, Sally's was at Addison and New England. At Addison & Neva, three corners are residences, and there is a building on the NE corner that is now a preschool, but used to be medical offices. Attached to it on the east is a building that used to be Bruce & Ken's Pharmacy, but after that closed and Bruce moved over to the Dominick's at Cumberland and Belmont, it was split up into smaller stores housing a hair salon and a tuxedo rental place.

AD:

Posted by: Cragin Spring (---.dhcp.ftbg.wi.charter.com)
Date: November 04, 2014 05:12PM

Ma & Pa stores still exist throughout the city. Not just on corners but sometimes in the middle of the street. Besides the 7-11's and White Hens the first to come to mind was Open Pantry stores. There was a Open Pantry on Fullerton just west of Cicero Ave.

AD:

Posted by: West Town (64.107.32.---)
Date: November 05, 2014 02:07PM

Grew up in West Town. The one by our house was Bruno's on Wood St. just South of Huron St. Comic books and magazines hanging from a wire over the glass cases that held penny candy. Two coolers with ice cold soda. Nickel and dime size candy bars and potatoe chips. Chest freezers with all kinds of ice cream. I liked the cups. Remember the wodden "paddle" spoons used to eat them? Two phone booths in the back. Best of all he'd get a different arcade game every month or so. Shooting game, pin ball, baseball, And of course mom and dad would send me with a note and the money to buy them their cigarettes and one of the two Polish daily newspapers.

AD:

Posted by: missyougayoung (104.195.57.---)
Date: January 20, 2015 05:39AM

Blackhawk that's slated for demolition. Interesting building and certainly an anomaly on the block.

AD:

Posted by: southwestside83rd (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 24, 2015 05:12PM

Anyone remember the mom and pop store west of the old location of St. Denis Church on 83rd street, it was a favorite after Mass, and before school for penny candy and getting Mom to buy us some bottled chocolate milk Anyone ?

AD:

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact