Bloomigdale Spur Line Chicago

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Bloomigdale Spur Line Chicago
Posted by: Kchi (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 26, 2011 12:03PM

There is a old abandoned spur line that runs along Bloomindale in Chicago that I understand they want to convert to a park.

In the 60's, I still remember seeing freight cars on it.

What railroad owned the line?

Where did it connect to a mainline?

I assume that it was built in a age where there were no interstate trucking, typically how much freight would be needed to justify the expense of a spur line?

I also remember seeing freigh cars in the 60s parked on the CNW tracks along the Kennedy. I have not seen any in years. Does the Union Pacific still operate any freight over these tracks?

Does anybody have a update on the park project?

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Bloomigdale Spur Line Chicago
Posted by: Johnny Sauganash (209.117.57.---)
Date: January 26, 2011 03:53PM

Lots of information about the park/trail project here:

http://www.bloomingdaletrail.org/

On the western end, it connected to the Milwaukee Road main line at the point where the Milwaukee Road West and North lines split near Hamlin Ave -- in fact, if you look at it on Google Maps, you could surmise that the Milwaukee West could have originally been an extension of the Bloomingdale Line, as it continues straight west along Bloomingdale another mile or so before angling gently north west of Kostner Ave.

On the eastern end it connected to the Milwaukee Road branch line that ran along Kingsbury Ave.

The introduction of this page about a model version of the Kingsbury Branch indicates that Chicago & Pacific trains (later absorbed by Milwaukee Road) from Chicago to Elgin originally used the Kingsbury Branch and then the Bloomingdale Spur to get there:

http://home.comcast.net/~skytop35/Kingsbury/story.html

AD:

Posted by: 222psm (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 29, 2011 05:47PM

I remember seeing trains on it as late as early 80's around where it crosses California.

AD:

Posted by: Kchi (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: February 05, 2011 02:52PM

Since the track is elevated, most of the old factory buildings that I remember along the route did not have room for a siding where the cars could be lowered to street level. Does that mean that these factories would have been doing the loading and unloading at what would be the second floor of the factory?

Does anybody have any information as to what factories used the line or the type of freight that was moved?

AD:

Date: February 06, 2011 11:44PM

I found this on Wikipedia; The line was used for both passenger and freight trains and served several local industrial businesses, including a Schwinn Bicycle Company warehouse. The Bloomingdale Line was primarily used to reach the Lakewood Branch and industrial district on Goose Island.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloomingdale_Line
It mentions Schwinn but no others.

this site has a little more info
http://chicagoswitching.com/v6/articles/articlelisting.asp?locationid=4

And here:
http://www.chicagoswitching.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10

AD:

Posted by: 222psm (---.anchorfree.com)
Date: February 14, 2011 04:35PM

I have been trying to dig up more info, but have not had much luck. I did find on historic aerials that there was some type of warehouse or shop at Damen where the overpass is wide.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2011 04:37PM by 222psm.

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 15, 2011 02:23AM

222psm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have been trying to dig up more info, but have
> not had much luck. I did find on historic aerials
> that there was some type of warehouse or shop at
> Damen where the overpass is wide.

That is curious...the factory building in the aerial photographs just south of the shop at Damen is the old Ludwig Drum Company. I would have guessed that the factory had railroad access but it looks like Willow St. always separated the two.

Also, there's a short spur that has its own overpass at Damen, which disappears from photos by 1988 - wonder where that line went.

AD:

Posted by: PKDickman (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 15, 2011 03:48PM

The Bloomingdale line ran well into the '90s possibly as late as the 2000's . It crossed the C&NW tracks and jumped the river on a swing bridge at the southern tip of Finkltown.
From there it would connect with the Kingsbury branch. I watched it go by many times. For the most part, it supplied Aetna Plywood, Hanna Cylinders and Sipi metals. It was also the route for the "Sugarland Express" that delivered sugar and cornsyrup to the candy industry.
We used to lease a warehouse space at Rockwell and Bloomingdale. In the back of our bay was a deck about 12 feet high that opened on to the tracks.
The Bloomingdale Trail's biggest shortcoming is that it doesn't go anywhere. It would be great if it could connect with Kingsbury, but the swing bridge and a grade crossing with the commuter lines put the Kibosh on that.

Here are a few links;

http://www.chicagoswitching.com/forum/pop_printer_friendly.asp?TOPIC_ID=39
http://www.mannresearch.com/lakewood/sugarexp.html
http://www.chicagoswitching.com/v6/articles/article.asp?articleid=111

Paul K. Dickman (newby)

AD:

Date: February 15, 2011 04:36PM

WayOutWardell Wrote:
> 222psm Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I have been trying to dig up more info, but
> have
> > not had much luck. I did find on historic
> aerials
> > that there was some type of warehouse or shop
> at
> > Damen where the overpass is wide.
>
>
> That is curious...the factory building in the
> aerial photographs just south of the shop at Damen
> is the old Ludwig Drum Company. I would have
> guessed that the factory had railroad access but
> it looks like Willow St. always separated the two.
>
>
> Also, there's a short spur that has its own
> overpass at Damen, which disappears from photos by
> 1988 - wonder where that line went.

Wow, I did not see that other overpass! from the 1938 pic there are several buildings at Winchester and Bloomingdale and a larger building along Damen.
It looks like the spur leads to the smaller buildings along Winchester, but by 1952 all that is left is a vacant lot and the overpass leads to nowhere.

http://www.historicaerials.com/aerials.php?scale=4E-06&lat=41.9142815775604&lon=-87.677402827641&year=1938

AD:

Date: February 15, 2011 04:42PM

Welcome to FC PK, that warehouse you leased, did you receive/ship freight? Or had the trains stopped running by then?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2011 04:44PM by 222psm.

AD:

Date: February 15, 2011 05:01PM

222psm Wrote:
> Welcome to FC PK, that warehouse you leased, did
> you receive/ship freight? Or had the trains
> stopped running by then?

We just used it for unheated storage. It had once been part of a big cabinet shop. The deck I mentioned also did double duty as an enclosure for the fuel oil tanks that fed the drying kiln in the next bay.

When I had first moved into the area (early 80's), the trains ran one or two times a day. The warehouse period was the mid 90's. By then they might have run once a week. We lost the lease when the compound was turned into loftominiums.

By the late 90's the trains were rare enough that you would park your car just to watch them go by.

AD:

Date: February 15, 2011 05:38PM

That's what I remember, late 70's early 80's I saw trains often. Here's a pic by Chris Lastovich posted on railpictures.net:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=172109&nseq=14
It was taken in 2007, that had to have been at the most western end.

AD:

Date: February 15, 2011 11:11PM

That photo makes sense.
About that time ('07ish) I drove around out there to see where the western terminus of the trail was supposed to be. I was surprised to see a train on the tracks.

It was a bunch of cars loaded with gravel. I think the railroad (who still owns the property) was using it as a siding.

AD:

Posted by: Kchi (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 16, 2011 12:37PM

Thank You for all the information. I've been watching Tracks Ahead on channel 20 at 7:30 PM on Mondays and it makes me curious about the rail lines I have been driving under for years.

Would anybody like to take a stab at another rail line I am curious about. The tracks run north and south around 4400 West. I drive under these tracks while driving down Diversey or Belmont so I have no idea how far north or south they go. What makes me curious is that these tracks run just a few blocks west of the Milwaukee Road tracks that I know are being used by Metra,Amtrack and for some freight operations. I always wondered why there would have been a need for seperate rail line so close to the other.

I know othing about this line or its history, so any information would be appreciated.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2011 12:41PM by Kchi.

AD:

Posted by: b.a.hoarder (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 16, 2011 01:40PM

Kchi, I think these are the tracks at 4400 W you are referring to-

Re: the building at approx 3262 N. Narragansett ave
Posted by: b.a.hoarder (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 05, 2010 07:51PM

222, from the S those tracks near Kenton are part of the Belt Railway of Chicago and they do not terminate at 68th St, they continue ESE to a yard near 95th St. on the E side of the city. Going back N they parallel Kenton until they veer to the W and connect to the Milwaukee Road (or at least it was the MW RD, I don't know who has ownership now). The BRC, a consortium of 6 or 7 RR's, operates the Clearing Yard. BRC transfers cars to it's yards so they can be added to the correct train and also provides services for local industries.
The other tracks just to the N were Chicago & Northwestern and from the looks of things on Google maps used to connect to the Belt but now terminate as a single track around Cortland St.(1900 N).

This doesn't answer your question completely, but I think it helps.

AD:

Date: February 18, 2011 03:57PM

Belt Railway - Kenton North

I found this link describing the Cragin Junction at Grand. The article states that this is as far north as the Belt Railway goes.

http://www.dhke.com/CRJ/cragin.html

Can anybody confirm or dispute this? In looking at a map,it appears to show that the tracks run along Kenton until it reaches the old Chicago and Northwestern tracks around Montrose and Cicero. It is possible that the section between Grand and Montrose was abandoned when UP took over CNW. With their own freight tracks, the UP may have stopped using this section in favor or moving their trains in and out of the city so they did not interfere with Metra's NW commuter trains.

I've talked to someone who lives near the tracks and they don't recall seeing any trains on the tracks.

AD:

Posted by: Mr Downtown (---.c3-0.drb-ubr1.chi-drb.il.cable.rcn.com)
Date: February 19, 2011 10:13PM

The Belt Railway of Chicago ends as it curves west into the former Milwaukee Road tracks.

C&NW's Cragin Industrial Lead runs alongside BRC from 40th St. Yard north through Cragin Yard and on to Mayfair. For some reason, [url=http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=41.95643&lon=-87.74518&zoom=15&layers=M]Open Street Map[/url] is well-annotated with railroad names and subdivisions in the Chicago area.

AD:

Date: February 21, 2011 01:34PM

Found this great website link that explains all the freight lines coming into Chicago.

http://www.dhke.com/CRJ/routes.html

AD:

Posted by: davem60612 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 11, 2013 04:18AM

Bloomingdale is still used, a little. Cp stages and stores cars for Newlywed Bakery just to the east of the A5 tower, and Metra stores rock cars here too. Nothing goes much east of the old interlocking, there is no longer any work do be done and the track is awful.

Cragin Junction is the northern edge of the Belt r.r., it is mp 0.0 on that r.r.

CP Hogger

AD:

Posted by: West Town (---.elgin.edu)
Date: January 25, 2013 04:30PM

I worked as a security guard for Schwinn from 1978 to 1980. We had a 6 story warehouse. It used two adresses, 3701 W. Cortland & 1836 N. Lawndale. We had a rail spur that curved into our property right near the Western end of the Bloomingdale line. It was an elevated spur that lined up to the second floor of the building's west side to a series of overhead doors on the loading dock that would line up to the box cars. We had a lot of problems with burglaries and people cutting the chain on the gate that led into our "yard". We had an old ADT photo red eye beam that crossed the rails and would activate an alarm if tripped. Same thing on the loading dock so if someone came in thru one of the overhead doors that would trip the alarm as well. Old timers told me that at one time that both Marshall Field & Montgomery Wards owned or leased the building for a time. By the time I worked there Schwinn was relying more on trucks for transportation and less on rail. We averaged only one or two rail operations a week.

AD:

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact