Record Stores

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Record Stores
Posted by: world globes (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 30, 2011 10:22PM

Does anyone remember a linoleum store on the corner across the street from deluxe record store on the 4000 n milwaukee ave. it was in the portage theater building. the name of the business was MARSH FLOORS WHICH WAS MY FATHERS. I SPENT MUCH TIME AT DELUXE RECORDS, IN THE LISTENING BOOTHS LISTENING TO THE OLD 78RPM RECORDS. THIS WAS DURING THE EARLY TO LATE 5O'S. STORES IN THE AREA WERE KONIKS SHOE STORE, BERNARDS,MENS SHOP, ERIE CLOTHING, LASWELLS, PRIDES RESTAURANT, WOOLWORTH'S.JUST TO NAME A FEW.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2011 10:40PM by world globes.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: May 06, 2011 08:25AM

I use to buy my records over there in the 1980's , But The last vinyl record I got from that area , was led zeppelin one album in 2004 . There was a old guy that run a record store for a long time , by the bus turn around over on Cicero ave and montrose on the corner there , A small store .

I my memory serves me right , There was like 7 or 8 record stores in the neighborhood .But in time most of them moved out or no longer sold records , Compact disc came in around 1987 or so . Thats what happen to most small record stores in that area then , they would no longer sell records and closed up all together . I remember first buying My first journey album Look In To The Future,in sears store back then for 4.99 dollars .

I also use to get albums a the brickyard Too in Musicland .

AD:

Date: May 06, 2011 08:34AM

The Flip Side Record Store In Foster in 1980's . I got a 45 single from steve Dail then that was a song that made fun of the Ayatollah Khomeini , My sharona It was a mock song that made fun of him back then . Plus I dont Know if anyone Knew that there was a flip side record store In crystal Lake ,Illinois upto Year 2000 or so that never closed up . Just want to point this out to you people for info .

AD:

Posted by: tomcat630 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 07, 2011 08:20PM

Flip Side was a local chain of record stores, as far out as Kane/McHenry counties.

Also, Rolling Stones is still around at 7300 Irving Park, but wonder how much longer in the digital download age?

AD:

Posted by: FranCarmen (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 08, 2011 02:54AM

The Flip Side chain was owned by Carl and Larry Rosenbaum.

http://francesarcher.com

AD:

Re: Y on buildings
Posted by: tseals (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 08, 2011 05:36PM

I know this has been discussed before, but What did the "Y" on the buildings mean. Was it a City of Chicago building or what? Just saw one on a building at appx. 5208 N. Clark.

AD:

Posted by: tseals (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 08, 2011 05:40PM

Please Disregard:

AD:

Date: June 04, 2011 03:15AM

You Guys should know that The building from six corner that Housed Deluxe Records still Has the writing in the Tile on the ground that said Deluxe Records . Just wanted To point it out .

AD:

Posted by: rfranger (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 02, 2011 01:35AM

Peaches was a pretty large record store at North and Harlem across from Sears late 70's. Polk Bros used to sell a good number of records also.

AD:

Posted by: logansquare60647 (---.tmodns.net)
Date: August 02, 2011 11:53PM

I remember Rockin Reds on Foster and Kimball back in the early 90s. The owner, Red, was cousins with Howie Mandel, and he also owned the Tastee Freeze next door to the record store. I got to meet Howie there in about '91, really nice guy! And Red used to let us cut class and play video games in the back and wouldn't care. It was like our sanctuary.

I also remember a Flipside by the old Diversions video arcade (the original one, not the last one which closed down which was housed in the old Sizzler) behind Lincoln Village Shopping Center.

AD:

Posted by: c5rulz (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 16, 2012 09:19PM

Deluxe Records ... thank you for resurrecting that memory. We bought many 45's there in the early 60's. They had turntables set up so you could trial the records before buying. Still have several of the WLS and WIND Top 40 sheets.

AD:

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 16, 2012 10:01PM

[b]There was a record store at 48th and Ashland called Vitak Elsnik. They had rooms with turntables so you could play the records. That was a common thing in the 1950's and before.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: JoeHyer (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 02, 2012 02:07PM

Does anyone remember Yardbird's record store around 63rd and St. Louis? In 1978 I bought the Rolling Stones album "Love You Live" there and still have the album. I think they also sold pipes, rolling papers, etc. Some of the staff there would looked stoned sometimes!

AD:

Posted by: Chipast (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 02, 2012 03:30PM

WOW!!!!!!!, No wonder they didn't last as a business. Altough I do remember some place which also sold paraphenlia like that called Pax International Boutique which was on N.Austin, Just south of North Av in Oak Park. Ten they moved to Belmont nr Clark, Was there until that big fire in early 1978. They may have sold records as well.

AD:

Posted by: bstrdrt (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 01, 2012 08:18PM

Yardbird records there's some memories. They were located on the 3300 block of 63rd St. There were three guys who worked there; we used to call them scumbag (the skinny oily hair one), scuzz ass (the bifocal wearing one) and doper (the long haired ear ring wearing who drove the jaguar). Used to go there all the time, albums were $4.49, lots of band shirts on the walls, pinball machines. That was a great place.

AD:

Posted by: bstrdrt (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 01, 2012 08:20PM

Does anyone remember the name of the record store by Curie High School? Used to go there at lunch period and pick up Triad magazine. It was on the corner just down the street across from the funeral home.

AD:

Posted by: Mornac (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: December 01, 2012 11:25PM

bstrdrt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does anyone remember the name of the record store
> by Curie High School? Used to go there at lunch
> period and pick up Triad magazine. It was on the
> corner just down the street across from the
> funeral home.

Wow - Triad magazine! What became of it. I always picked up my copy at Round Records on Sheridan Road north of Loyola University.

AD:

Posted by: continentalbill3@yahoo.com (166.181.3.---)
Date: December 25, 2012 02:35AM

[b][color=#FF3300]FOR MY MONEY I USED TO GET LOST IN ROSE RECORDS.THEY HAD A HUGE SELECTIONS OF EVERY KIND OF MUSIC ON THE PLANET. NEXT TO THAT I WOULD HAVE TO SAY BEVERLY RECORDS ONTH SOUTH SIDE AROUND WESTERN & 95TH IS STILL DOING BUSINESS. WHAT GREAT MUSIC SHOPS![/color][/b]

AD:

Posted by: stevieg314 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 28, 2012 04:23PM

[b]We used to ride from Oak Lawn all the way to the North side just to go to Rolling Stone records in the 80's, just took Harlem all the way north to Irving Park, i believe. Great car rides and memories![/b]

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 02, 2013 06:28PM

Still there Stevie! Rolling Stones Records. Hard to believe that in this age.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2013 06:54PM by rjmachon.

AD:

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact