Automobile Dealers

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7
Re: Automobile Dealers
Posted by: coops4 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 16, 2011 12:17AM

I remember going to a Chevrolet dealer with my dad at or around 53rd and Ashland in the early 70's. I think it was Beckert?

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Posted by: tomcat630 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 19, 2011 11:54PM

"...Nickey Chevrolet which is now the Comcast facility"

Now it is a townhouse development, no trace of businesses.

AD:

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 20, 2011 12:04AM

daveg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jim Moran -- the Courtesy Man.

That's where I got my 1953 Buick Special in 1956. I traded my 1950 chevy. the Buick costed $1100.

AD:

Posted by: ski50 (---.dhcp.jcsn.tn.charter.com)
Date: January 27, 2012 03:46PM

On the south side was Bill Becker chevrolet on archer ave -Power ford on archer ave-Balzekas Chrysler Plymouth on Archer ave-Tomczak Dodge on 47th & Pulaski-Lincoln Mercury dealer on Pulaski next to Dog & Suds(cannot remember their name)Ray buick between Cicero & Central on 63rd-and a ton of used car lots!

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 28, 2012 12:20AM

In the mid 70's if you north on Western Ave. between Belmont Ave. and north to Montrose Ave. was car dealerships and used cars lots one after another. Don't forget to throw in a few motorcycle lots as well. The one used car lot that comes to mind was Rocket Motors. James Cann in the movie Thief burns up his used car dealership at the end of the movie.

AD:

Posted by: 222psm (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 28, 2012 11:17AM

My dad brought a 72 chavelle 2 door from a used car dealer on the west side of N Western between Addison and Irving Park back in 1975. I do'nt remember the name of the dealer. I do remember we spent a whole Saturday looking at cars all up and down Western.

AD:

Posted by: WDH74 (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 28, 2012 09:13PM

Not old enough to have been buying cars from most of these places, but I just thought I'd share these.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/williamdhopkins/3879450987/]Mr. Norm's[/url] by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/williamdhopkins/]William 74[/url], on Flickr

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/williamdhopkins/3986171062/]Dealer Sticker[/url] by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/williamdhopkins/]William 74[/url], on Flickr

This is the "Vinegaroon", a Genie racing car that was owned by Dan Blocker

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/williamdhopkins/5982192213/]Nickey Chicago[/url] by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/williamdhopkins/]William 74[/url], on Flickr

And, of course, the Nickey name has been resurrected as a purveyor of high-performance custom made Camaros. Their current shop is in the same business complex as my current job.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/williamdhopkins/3747268239/]Nickey, Nickey, Nickey....[/url] by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/williamdhopkins/]William 74[/url], on Flickr

-WDH

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 (---.dhs.gov)
Date: February 13, 2012 03:57PM

The Ford dealer at Hoyne and Irving Park Road was Alvin Motors. Later it became an appliance dealer that also seems to be now closed. Further west, between Oakley and Western, there was a Nash/AMC/Jeep dealer called George Hill, and on Western, just north of Addison, on the west side of the street north of the Wendy's was a Studebaker dealer. Going further west on Irving Park Road, you had Claussen/Ostrow/Foley Dodge about 3500 West, on the north side, then Nelson-Hirschberg Ford at what is now Marino Chrysler Plymouth. Seltzer Pontiac was on the corner of Lockwood and Irving, and Lynch Buick was across the street on the north side of Irving Park Road, before Lynch expanded into a multi line dealer. I remember a fascinating 1961 Buick Electra 225 Limousine they had in the showroom window at what is now the Volkswagen dealer. Hudec Olds, later City Olds, was further west on Irving in what was later the Saturn dealer. Tom Lyons Chrysler was on Milwaukee Avenue, I believe around 4200 North, and later Portage Park Chrysler Plymouth was on Cicero in what is now a U Haul Dealership. Nickey Chevrolet was on the south side of Irving, right along the railroad tracks, where the new townhouses are now built. Foreman Motors, which originally dealt in used Cadillacs, was on Fullerton Avenue just east of Cicero, on the north side of the street. I believe the place is now a laundromat. That was the site of a murder years ago. Hope this clears up some of the old car dealer controversies.

AD:

Posted by: jak378 (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 13, 2012 06:24PM

Dunning1 Wrote:
> The Ford dealer at Hoyne and Irving Park Road was
> Alvin Motors. Later it became an appliance dealer
> that also seems to be now closed. Further west,
> between Oakley and Western, there was a
> Nash/AMC/Jeep dealer called George Hill, and on
> Western, just north of Addison, on the west side
> of the street north of the Wendy's was a
> Studebaker dealer. Going further west on Irving
> Park Road, you had Claussen/Ostrow/Foley Dodge
> about 3500 West, on the north side, then
> Nelson-Hirschberg Ford at what is now Marino
> Chrysler Plymouth. Seltzer Pontiac was on the
> corner of Lockwood and Irving, and Lynch Buick was
> across the street on the north side of Irving Park
> Road, before Lynch expanded into a multi line
> dealer. I remember a fascinating 1961 Buick
> Electra 225 Limousine they had in the showroom
> window at what is now the Volkswagen dealer.
> Hudec Olds, later City Olds, was further west on
> Irving in what was later the Saturn dealer. Tom
> Lyons Chrysler was on Milwaukee Avenue, I believe
> around 4200 North, and later Portage Park Chrysler
> Plymouth was on Cicero in what is now a U Haul
> Dealership. Nickey Chevrolet was on the south
> side of Irving, right along the railroad tracks,
> where the new townhouses are now built. Foreman
> Motors, which originally dealt in used Cadillacs,
> was on Fullerton Avenue just east of Cicero, on
> the north side of the street. I believe the place
> is now a laundromat. That was the site of a
> murder years ago. Hope this clears up some of the
> old car dealer controversies.

To clear up the Fohrman (not Foreman) Motors controversy. Fohrman Motors was at about 2700 West Madison, owned by Ben Fohrman and was at that time strictly a used car dealer. A supposedly disgruntled customer, Donnie Jackson, walked in and started shooting, killing 2 sons, Sidney and Edward, I think, and another employee named Sizer. Jackson was killed by police who arrived almost immediately. It was quite a bloody scene. Speculation was that Jackson had been cheated by the Fohrmans but that was not true. He had a good deal for the time and the car had been damaged by him in an accident. He was, incidentally high on barbiturates, and had spent a fair amount of time in prison.

Incidentally, on my last visit to Chicago over Christmas, I was surprised to see that Balzekas Chrysler was still in business on Archer. That has to be one of the longest running dealers in Chicago area.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2012 06:26PM by jak378.

AD:

Posted by: c5rulz (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 16, 2012 09:34PM

Berwyn Frank ... I have many fond memories of Nicky Chevrolet but none greater than the day when my buddy picked up his triple back Impala Super Sport convertible with a 327 3 speed column shifter. Their speed shop was a candy store for car guys back in the day. The Nicky name survives today ... a group bought the name and now do after market upgrades to Camaros.

AD:

Date: February 17, 2012 03:10AM

Just spotted on Flickr. This is the Nickey "Vinegaroon", I believe a later version of the car. From the '66 Stardust Grand Prix (a Can-Am race) in Las Vegas.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/thehenryford/6886195955/]1966StardustGP_731[/url] by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/thehenryford/]The Henry Ford[/url], on Flickr

AD:

Date: February 18, 2012 03:43AM

Balzekas is now just used cars, btw.

Also, on Irving Park was Kronon Lincoln-Mercury at Kostner, now a Subaru store.
The Saturn of Chicago building [former Olds] is still empty.

And in the early 70's on Irving Park just west of Harlem, [at Octavia] was a tiny dealer called Byrd Datsun. It's still a repair shop, was only a Datsun dealer for a few years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2012 03:46AM by tomcat630.

AD:

Date: February 18, 2012 04:02AM

Someone asked "..Chevrolet dealer with my dad at or around 53rd and Ashland ?"

Ferrell-Hicks Chevy, at 5727 south Ashland, on Google Earth the lot is still there empty.

Here is a picture of an old F-H matchbook:

http://chuckmanchicagonostalgia.wordpress.com/2011/04/06/matchbook-chicago-ferrell-hicks-chevrolet-5727-s-ashland/

AD:

Posted by: JamieLynch (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: February 20, 2012 01:54PM

Amazing pictures, they sure bring back some memories. I have grown up in Chicago and been here for over 30 years.

Back in the day (10-20 years ago) I remember a user car dealer that had some great commercials, yet their name does not ring a bell.

AD:

Date: March 09, 2012 01:34AM

I forget if McInerney Chevrolet was mentioned, but I thought I'd share this. Spotted at a car show last weekend, on the back of an unrestored '57 Chevy sedan (I think it was a 210, but maybe a Bel-Air).

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/williamdhopkins/6819415444/]McInerney, Chicago[/url] by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/williamdhopkins/]William 74[/url], on Flickr

AD:

Posted by: Chipast (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 09, 2012 12:54PM

Lest we forget, Courtesy Motors (Ford) on Grand nr Central Park. With it's HUGE brown sign, Probably 20-40 ft tall. With the bulbous BIG "C" & bulbous lettering. Plus the FORD sign with embedded moving bulbs & orange neon surrounding the lettering. Which was removed between 1972-74, During the lousy energy crisis.

AD:

Posted by: davey7 (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 09, 2012 07:26PM

When did Courtesy go under? I remember seeing cars with their stickers maybe into the 80's/90's. That sign sounds great, but by the 70's neon was going out of fashion, not just for energy reasons (and neon is pretty efficient, or can be).

AD:

Posted by: Chipast (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 11, 2012 08:22PM

davey7 Wrote:
> When did Courtesy go under? I remember seeing cars
> with their stickers maybe into the 80's/90's. That
> sign sounds great, but by the 70's neon was going
> out of fashion, not just for energy reasons (and
> neon is pretty efficient, or can be).

About 1976 or 77.

AD:

Posted by: Jayg (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 26, 2013 06:44AM

In 1969 someone opened a Subaru dealership on the NW corner of Cermak and Western. They displayed two of the smallest cars I'd ever seen . They were the first Japanese cars I ever saw in this country, outside of a Godzilla movie.

Does anyone recall the name of the Pontiac dealership located between Kedzie and Albany on the north side of Ogden Avenue? My Dad bought our first car, a 61 Catalina bubbletop coupe,there.

AD:

Posted by: Lance Grey (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 27, 2013 01:38AM

Re: McInerney
When I started as a Mechanic doing Parts Running & Tow Truck Driver for a small shop
I pronounced it, "Mick Eye nernee" but the boss said "Mack 'N Ernie"

Can't recall anyone at the Dealer or a commercial settling it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2013 01:40AM by Lance Grey.

AD:

Current Page: 4 of 7

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact