Automobile Dealers

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7
Re: Automobile Dealers
Posted by: tim62b (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 07, 2011 11:04PM

charliesource Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Brigance was located at 15 West Chicago ave. ANd I
> was an employee there when they closed. I believe
> it was a friday March 21rst. 1975 when they got us
> in the back of the service dept. and said "Sorry,
> Were out of business". I was there only about a
> year but enjoyed my time and the people there.
> Still have some nice memories.

Brigance also had a used car dealership and lot at Division & Monitor in Chicago that closed at the same time. we used the lot that year as a baseball field.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Posted by: deepstblu2 (---.par.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: May 09, 2011 11:28PM

Kchi Wrote:
> The latest reference that I could find for Tauber
> Ford in the Tribune, was in 1957. The address
> listed was at 6035 Broadway and the phone number
> was
> Longbeach 1-0860. They were selling a 1954 Ford
> Tudor for $395.
>
> In the 60s ad 70s the ads for a dealer at that
> location were for VWs and Fiat.

That showroom was eventually torn down to make way for a Dominick's. The VW dealer moved to what had been Dick McFeeley Pontiac at 5300 Broadway.

AD:

Posted by: jak378 (---.dyn.embarqhsd.net)
Date: May 26, 2011 03:24PM

There was also an Olds dealer on Southwest Highway, a little west of Western Ave. called Hames Oldsmobile. Former White Sox pitcher Billy Pierce sold cars there in the early or mid 60's. I nearly bought a car from him, but got a better price elsewhere.

AD:

Posted by: captain54 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 26, 2011 04:43PM

speaking of Olds dealers in the southwest suburbs, there was Jack Thompson Olds on 95th and Pulaski, from the late 50's when it was across from the old Kiddeyland Amusement Park, until about 10 yrs or so ago...

AD:

Date: May 26, 2011 05:55PM

captain54 Wrote:
> speaking of Olds dealers in the southwest suburbs,
> there was Jack Thompson Olds on 95th and Pulaski,
> from the late 50's when it was across from the old
> Kiddeyland Amusement Park, until about 10 yrs or
> so ago...

Now a Jewel and Portillo's Restaurant. I remember ging to the kiddieland when I was little, in the 40's and I also remember taing my first 2 kids ther in the 60's and ealry 70's. I don't know exactly when it closed, but probably early in the 70's. It was a clean quiet place.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2011 05:57PM by jak378.

AD:

Date: May 27, 2011 09:12PM

jak378 Wrote:
>
> Now a Jewel and Portillo's Restaurant. I remember
> ging to the kiddieland when I was little, in the
> 40's and I also remember taing my first 2 kids
> ther in the 60's and ealry 70's. I don't know
> exactly when it closed, but probably early in the
> 70's. It was a clean quiet place.

The Jewel/Osco had already been around for more than 10 yrs or so before Jack Thompson Olds was demolished in 2002.. It had been there since the mid 50's..the Portillo's is now where Jack Thompson was....There was also a Holiday Inn about a block west of Jack Thompson that was demolished for a Target Dept Store, and for years the village of Oak Lawn battled to keep the Target out...then of course, another couple of blocks down you had the Branding Iron restaurant and 36 lane bowling alley that was a southside institution for many years until it closed in the late 80's

the Kiddieland at 95th and Crawford in Oak Lawn was called the Green Oaks Kiddieland and was open until the early 70's..A Venture Department store and A&P occupied that space, and currently theres a bank, Chuckie Cheese pizza and a Kmart....It originally opened in 1945 and was called "Mike Doolan's Kiddieland"... "Kiddielands" sprung up all over the US after the war, as a result of the baby boom, and the Doolan Kiddieland was the largest in the Chicago area out of 10 at the time..Doolan died in 1957 and I believe thats when it became Green Oaks Kiddieland.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2011 09:14PM by captain54.

AD:

Posted by: lursa1967 (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: May 28, 2011 01:05AM

Celozzi-Ettleson location is now going to be the new Elmhurst Hospital.

AD:

Date: May 28, 2011 11:39AM

captain54 Wrote:
> > The Jewel/Osco had already been around for more
> than 10 yrs or so before Jack Thompson Olds was
> demolished in 2002.. It had been there since the
> mid 50's..the Portillo's is now where Jack
> Thompson was....There was also a Holiday Inn about
> a block west of Jack Thompson that was demolished
> for a Target Dept Store, and for years the village
> of Oak Lawn battled to keep the Target out...then
> of course, another couple of blocks down you had
> the Branding Iron restaurant and 36 lane bowling
> alley that was a southside institution for many
> years until it closed in the late 80's
>
> the Kiddieland at 95th and Crawford in Oak Lawn
> was called the Green Oaks Kiddieland and was open
> until the early 70's..A Venture Department store
> and A&P occupied that space, and currently theres
> a bank, Chuckie Cheese pizza and a Kmart....It
> originally opened in 1945 and was called "Mike
> Doolan's Kiddieland"... "Kiddielands" sprung up
> all over the US after the war, as a result of the
> baby boom, and the Doolan Kiddieland was the
> largest in the Chicago area out of 10 at the
> time..Doolan died in 1957 and I believe thats when
> it became Green Oaks Kiddieland.

You are of course correct about the Jewel and Osco being there several years before Jack Thompson was demolished. I remember teh Holiday Inn, and in fact remember when it was built. I don't remember what was there before it though. The Branding Iron had the best ribs in the world and was located in the same building as Oak Lawn Bowl. I believe that State Farm was the first to use the site after the building was demolished.

I remember, vaguely, KiddieLand being called Doolan's. I also recall tht all the ride operators were older, ritired folks, not a bunch of sleezeballs.

AD:

Date: May 28, 2011 02:10PM

jak378 Wrote:
I remember teh Holiday Inn, and in
> fact remember when it was built. I don't remember
> what was there before it though. I
> believe that State Farm was the first to use the
> site after the building was demolished.
>
> I remember, vaguely, KiddieLand being called
> Doolan's. I also recall tht all the ride
> operators were older, ritired folks, not a bunch
> of sleezeballs.

There was nothing previously occupying the property before the Holiday Inn was built. Two more car dealerships, Kelly Kean Nissan and Oak Lawn Toyota are approximately where the Branding Iron and Oak Lawn Bowl were.

I did some digging around about Mike (Mickey) Doolan and found that he was one of the pioneers of putting rides and amusements in place at the south and southwest side Catholic Parish carnivals and fairs back in the day.

AD:

Posted by: tomcat630 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 30, 2011 01:55AM

There used to be an Oldsmobile dealer on west Madison st, near about Laramie or Cicero [4800-5200]. Relatives lived in storefront apt across the street and as a kid I'd marvel at the neon signs and new Oldses. Anyone remember address? Supposedly closed after the '68 riots?

AD:

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: June 04, 2011 01:27AM

I was wondering if there was any automobile dealers that Bought a tucker Dealership in chicago . I would like to Know were and when ..

AD:

Posted by: charliesource (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 13, 2011 04:40PM

Brigance's used car lot was on Division and closed with the dealearship in 1975. We used to have to run down there in the morning and shag the homeless people out of the vehicles that were sleeping from the night before.

AD:

Posted by: geffertz (---.albq.qwest.net)
Date: August 15, 2011 11:49PM

Z Frank for the very best deals today,
Z Frank!
Z Frank!
Z Frank for Chevrolet.

AD:

Posted by: wow1029 (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: August 18, 2011 08:05PM

Ben's Auto Sales on Western Avenue where Bob Luce & the Pro Wrestlers would do commericals for them

AD:

Posted by: logansquare60647 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 20, 2011 08:24AM

Remember in Glengarry Glen Ross when Jack Lemmon was talking about his old days at the dealerships on Western? Awesome reference.

AD:

Posted by: Tim (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: August 23, 2011 12:59AM

Anyone recall the name of the Pontiac dealer on the NW corner of Broadway and Berwyn?

AD:

Posted by: West Town (---.elgin.edu)
Date: August 23, 2011 03:44PM

Divison Chevrolet's new car show room & service dept. at Chicago Ave. & Wood St. & Their used OK car lot at Chicago & Wolcott

Mr. Norms Grand Ave. Dodge

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 (---.dhs.gov)
Date: December 14, 2011 06:48PM

The old auto dealers on Irving Park Road were as follows: the indoor Ford dealer at Hamilton & Irving Park was Alvin Ford, and there was a Jeep dealer near Western Avenue which I believe was George J. Hill. Further west, just west of Kimball Avenue, you had Claussen Bros. Dodge, later Ostrow Dodge which later became Foley Dodge, then Nickey Chevrolet which is now the Comcast facility. Nelsen-Hirshberg Ford occupied the south side of Irving Park just east of Laramie, now I Chrysler dealer I believe. I believe the Chrysler dealer was owned by John DiFronzo for a while, and then it became part of Lynch. Lynch Buick was on the north side of Irving just before Long Avenue, and I remember a 1961 Buick Electra Limousine that fascinated me that was parked in their facility, in the window, for quite a while. There was a United Motors (GM Parts) distributor on the south side of Irving west of Laramie, then Seltzer Pontiac on the corner at Lockood. Further west just before Central Avenue was Hudec Olds, which became City Olds, and later a Saturn dealer. I also remember a Studebaker dealer on Western just north of Addison, and the current Treasure Island Market on Wells just north of North Avenue was a Packard Service facility. Remember going there with my grandfather. My dad bought his Chrysler Newport from Grand Harlem Motors on Harlem Avenue, about 7300 west, on the south side of the street, and I remember going down there every year to look at the new models hidden on the back on the used car lot before their official release date.

AD:

Posted by: jak378 (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 15, 2011 01:38PM

There seems to be mostly northside dealers being mentioned on here, but a couple I don't remember seeing mentioned that were on the south side were: Ferrell Hcks Chevrolet in the 5700 block of South Ashland, Bonnie Brook Ford in the 5400 block of South Ashland. Burke Ford around 65th and Western and George Bowers Dodge Plymouth around 57th and Sestern. I bought my first new car at a west side dealer, Lawndale Olds on Ogden around Lawndale Ave. One of the last cars I bought in Chicago was a Cadillac from Emil enemark at 46th and Pulaski, which also had originally been on Ogden Ave.

AD:

Posted by: Steve B. (74.7.39.---)
Date: December 15, 2011 06:33PM

Besides the dealerships jak378 mentioned, also on south Western Avenue between 53rd and 67th were Hollingshead Oldsmobile, Gage Chrysler Plymouth, Mike McCarthy Mercury, Tony Piet Pontiac and McManus Chevrolet.

AD:

Current Page: 3 of 7

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact