Automobile Dealers

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7
Re: Automobile Dealers
Posted by: Jeff_Weiner (---.sub-75-224-174.myvzw.com)
Date: May 27, 2013 02:11PM

Lance Grey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Re: McInerney
> When I started as a Mechanic doing Parts Running &
> Tow Truck Driver for a small shop
> I pronounced it, "Mick Eye nernee" but the boss
> said "Mack 'N Ernie"
>
> Can't recall anyone at the Dealer or a commercial
> settling it.

Your boss has the right pronunciation.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Posted by: Diogenes9561 (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: May 27, 2013 10:51PM

I grew up in the North Center area a few lifetimes ago and I, too, remember some of the local dealerships. I also remember Alvin Ford on Irving Park and Hoyne but there was also a small Chevrolet dealer at Irving and Seeley, Hoskin Chevrolet. The thing I remember most was the number of damaged police cars sitting near the service entrance; I believe most of those were from the old Damen Avenue police station which was at the corner of Damen and Grace. Both Hoskin and the police station are only memories now as well as Alvin Ford.
I also remember the Studebaker dealer on Western near Addison, but I also remember an import dealership, the name of which escapes me, on Western right across from Lane Tech.They sold British cars: Triumph, Sunbeam, Hillman, and Humber.I still remember lusting after a Sunbeam Alpine which sat in the showroom many years ago. But, British cars of that vintage weren't all that great and I believe it was out of business by '63. North Imports was the local VW dealer on Ashland just a bit south of Bert Weinman across the street. I bought a Dasher there in '75 but, like Bert Weinman, the land is now covered in the ubiquitous Chicago condominiums. Progress?

AD:

Posted by: Berwyn Frank (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 28, 2013 01:21PM

Jay G, Peoples Pontiac

AD:

Posted by: ATS1999 (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 10, 2013 11:33PM

Here's a few more that were in my old neighborhood. I remember Sullivan Pontiac at 1101 W. Diversey (1966-1973) which became Joe Perillo Pontiac (1973-1997) that later was Joe Perillo Lincoln -Mercury (1997-?) It's now a Mini Cooper dealer. Researching I found that before Sullivan owned the Pontiac dealer it was Warner Motors which sold Pontiacs from 1949-1966. A block east on Diversey was Nelson Chevrolet (1937-1972) which became Ray Les Chevrolet for a few years (1973-1976). More research revealed that before Nelson operated from that location it was L.W. Shanesy Ford (1921-1937) That corner on Diversey & Sheffield has changed much in the last 30 years.

AD:

Re: Automobile Dealers Looking for an Old Chevy dealer
Posted by: nklemens (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: June 11, 2013 11:29PM

Folks,

I have an 80 Corvette. It was Delivered in 1980 to a Chevy Dealer in Chicago. The build sheet is very old and faded. All I can make out is ??? Inc, 6200 N Western? Ave, Chicago, Il 60659.

If anyone can come up with the name, I will be very happy. Thank you in advance.

I have searched for years and found nothing.

AD:

Posted by: Rustymuscle (---.lightspeed.elgnil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 11, 2013 11:38PM

Could be Z Frank. Just north of Peterson on Western. Think the address was 6060 N. Western.

AD:

Posted by: nklemens (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: June 12, 2013 12:01AM

Thank you. That is real close and looks to be an old dealer in the area. I will see what I can find. I see that 6200 appears to be some type of old dealer as well, but maybe where it was shipped to. It is so close, it has to be the one.

Anyway, thank you a million!

AD:

Posted by: nklemens (64.147.48.---)
Date: June 12, 2013 03:29PM

Thanks again. After confirming, 6200 was the shipping address to Z Frank for cars from Chevy!

AD:

Posted by: Tom S. (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: September 09, 2013 09:16PM

Question:
There was a Ford dealership on the corner of W Irving Park and N Hoyne, I don't think it had a outdoor lot, I'm pretty sure it was all in doors. Does any one know what it was?

Answer: Alvin Ford

AD:

Posted by: gglow (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 12, 2013 06:47PM

I remember a Kawell-Walker Ford 1800 block Chicago Ave, in the late "50's early "60's. It later housed Division Chevy. There was also a Rambler dealer on Chicago and Oakley and Star Pontiac on Chicago west of Western.

AD:

Posted by: tomcat630 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 15, 2013 11:16PM

Hoskins Chevy is out in Elk Grove these days.

Also, Sullivan Pontiac was in Arlington Hts on Dundee Rd, and is now Sullivan Buick-GMC.

The old stand alone Jeep(R) dealer at Irving and Claremont just got torn down. Was a repair shop its last decade, specializing in Jeep products

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 16, 2013 02:08PM

That was George Hill Motors, Jeep at Irving and Claremont back in the mid 1970's before they moved to Evanston. They closed in 1992.

AD:

Posted by: tomcat630 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 18, 2013 02:50AM

The 2345 w IP Road Jeep store was last called Albrecht Jeep, and they had a Chrysler Corp issued Jeep sign in the late 80's, after Chrysler bought Jeep, until mid 90's.

AD:

Posted by: s68563b (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 25, 2013 03:02AM

Extra Extra! Timmy Long Gets Hit In The Face With A Pie!!! Long Chverlet, ran commercials wth the ouners son as a paper boy. The pper would have the sales pitch as headlines. One of the later ones, he holds up a paper, advertising timmy gets hit with a pie. Then thay wacked him with a whip cream pie.That how you get into the family business,kid.

AD:

Posted by: s68563b (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 25, 2013 03:48AM

6500 s. Western Ave. Burke Ford, now Metro Ford. The body shop was on the second floor, Thay had a single elevator to get the vehice up there, It was a small shop,with a turntable against one wall to enter there spraybooth.I was up there only once,when my friend worked on my Chrysler K car,back in the 80ies. Back in the early 80ies Burke ford had a bad shop fire,thay lost more then half of there store. On thing I did see on the wall of the bodyshop, a red bucket filled with sand. with the word fire on it.Most Dealers were small back then and only serviced there neighborhoods.Saddly most dealers have closed there bodyshops,As a dealership mechanic I have met some great Body and Fender men and have some good memories.

AD:

Posted by: deepstblu2 (---.par.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: October 06, 2013 11:56PM

"Sixty-five-oh-one
Sixty-five-oh-one
Sixty-five-oh-one North WESTERN!
That's the home of Nortown Olds!"

From a radio jingle. They moved to Skokie in the late '70s, and Brown's AMC moved into the building from the other side of the street in the next block.

Evanston had a real auto row along Chicago Avenue--Pat McCarville Chevrolet (previously Humphrey Chevrolet, I think), Perry Snower Pontiac (previously something else), Evanston Ford (previously Stacey or Stacy Ford), Carol Buick (which mostly advertised as Buick in Evanston), Frank Mauro Oldsmobile, Ernie Brown & Son Datsun, and Lincoln-Mercury and Toyota-Dodge dealers whose names I can't remember. Well south of all those--on Chicago between Howard and Juneway--the Buick dealer had a body shop in a building that had obviously been built as a dealership (they had some vintage cars in the showroom area). I think I heard that it had briefly been a Mazda dealer. Elsewhere in Evanston were Fields Cadillac and Central Motors Chrysler-Plymouth.

Oh, and next door to the Buick dealer was Wayne & Otis Pre-Fab Igloos, with hours listed on the door as "We Never Open." One of the papers got to the bottom of that: the dealer had rented the storefront for storage and an employee break room, and decided to have a little fun with realistic-looking but bogus signage. Wayne and Otis were dealership employees.

AD:

Posted by: Garykay (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: October 21, 2013 01:20AM

Hey ran into your forum, my dad owned portage Chrysler Plymouth between 4301 n Cicero 1972 and
1977 surprised know one remembered furgus ford in Skokie they had a new car
Spinning on a sign,they changed it every year, I started selling cars there
In 1969, later years worked for grossinger Pontiac and Jacobs twin Buick , my dad
Was Jim Morans used car manager from 1948 well into the 50's,
Gary

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 21, 2013 04:18AM

That Chrysler Plymouth dealer turned into a U-Haul dealer after that.

Here is a picture of Fergus Ford from 1964 that I found from the Skokie Historical Society. The dealership was at Niles Center Road and Skokie Boulevard.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2013 04:22AM by rjmachon.

AD:

Posted by: mikbasile (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 03, 2014 11:31PM

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftCVZPeE6U8]TIMMY LONG CHEVROLET[/url]

This was a great commercial, That kid did several commercials, everyone knew the routine, Extre Extra!!!If they didnt whack him with a pie, I would have drove to Elmhurst and done it myself.

AD:

Posted by: mikbasile (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 04, 2014 12:08AM

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97wl7Zh1r7w]1965 chevrolet add Ben Cartright and sons.[/url] Check out this commercial from 1965. What great cars,and Great actors.

AD:

Current Page: 5 of 7

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact