Catholic Church Tours

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Catholic Church Tours
Posted by: Kchi (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: December 19, 2010 09:18PM

I ran across a mention of a tour service that visits Catholic churches. Their website mentions 25 different churches. If you are interested in the architecture and the craftsmanship that went into building these churches, the website features some pictures of some of the churches they visit.

http://www.catholicchurchtours.com/about/index.html

I remember growing up that visiting different churches was a custom on Holy Thursday.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2010 10:06PM by Kchi.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Catholic Church Tours
Posted by: bwalsh (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 19, 2010 09:57PM

Wow - interesting. I will have to keep that in mind. I have actually been doing my own tours of the churches in the Chicago Archdiocese over the last few months, attending Mass and then photographing the interior and exteriors. To say I was surprised at the sheer number and beauty of the churches would be an understatement. Though I've lived here all my life and have certainly been aware of and visited many churches, I think I basically took them for granted. The book I've been going through recently is what really started me on this endeavor: "[i]The Archdiocese of[/i] [i]Chicago: A Journey of Faith[/i]" by Edward R. Kantowicz. Also as a companion book to consult is: "[i]Heavenly city: the architectural tradition of[/i] [i]Catholic Chicago[/i]" by Denis R. McNamara. There are a few churches that offer tours of their particular building, it just takes some research to find them and be able to go on the days that they are offered.

AD:

Posted by: Kchi (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: December 19, 2010 10:01PM

To bwalsh

Have you posted any of your pictures to any websites?

AD:

Posted by: bwalsh (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 19, 2010 11:14PM

So far, I've only posted them to Facebook and Kodak Gallery. I have a Flickr account, but it's not a Pro account, so am limited to how many I can post. If I can ever manage to pay the fee there will be a deluge of pictures as I have quite a backlog! I'm way too strapped for money right now to justify the added expense.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact