Boodlers

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Boodlers
Posted by: Kchi (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 14, 2010 10:07AM

It is funny how corruption in government never changes, but the terminology to describe it does. In doing research in the Chicago Tribune, starting in 1892, the articles all mention the crooked politicians as Boodlers and the corruption and stealing as boodling.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Boodlers
Posted by: Elaine W (192.175.17.---)
Date: December 14, 2010 10:17PM

I think that term was not specific to Chicago. I recall reading it in the writings of Lincoln Steffens and other muckraking journalists of the early 20th century. Steffens was based in New York, and also wrote about political corruption in other cities as well (Cleveland, I think, and I don't remember where else).

AD:

Posted by: HOLTANEK (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 05, 2011 11:58AM

From the many books I've read about Chicagos'past, the ONE thing that's never changed is the corruption. You can marvel at the amazing development, the massive industries, the turning of a small "frontier" town into one of the worlds biggest industrial cities...And all along, the undercurrent of massive governmental corruption. Hell, todays' scandals look like childs play compared to the late 1800s-early 1900s. The examples are endless, and if you think its'bad now, you aint seen nothing.

AD:

Posted by: daveg (130.36.62.---)
Date: January 05, 2011 01:51PM

I could be wrong but I don't think Chicago has a lock on corruption. I suspect the bigger the city, the bigger the problem.

Unfortunately, corruption has probably been with us since the days of Cain and Abel.

AD:

Posted by: HOLTANEK (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 06, 2011 01:46AM

You're exactly right, it certainly isnt only Chicago. Corruption is universal.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact