Shanghai Lil's and other long gone restaurants

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Shanghai Lil's and other long gone restaurants
Posted by: fleurblue (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 02, 2010 02:58PM

Does anyone remember Shanghai Lil's on Milwaukee Ave. south of Devon? It was very popular in its day with Polynesian fare and a floorshow with grass-skirted dancers. Exotic drinks, huge entrees and a great place for group parties.

Other places our family loved are Plentywood Farm, Honey Bear Farm in Powers Lake WI, owned by Carson Pirie Scott; Rickett's, Han's Bavarian Lodge, Ignatz and Mary's--all on north Milwaukee Ave. near Wheeling.

In Long Grove, the Hobson House buffet was a favorite. Huge Swedish buffet served in a country-style dining room. Waitresses wore long granny dresses. Desserts were to die for. Everything homemade.

On west North Ave. near Oak Park there was Nielsen's-Scandinavian fare. The Homestead--one of the last great dining rooms in the area. Sweeping curved carpeted entrance stairway, American fare, similar to Country Squire in Grayslake (which is still operating). On Harlem near there was Horvath's; a supper-clubby type place with Italian lights on the trees outside. Oh, I forgot Elliot's Pine Log on Cicero close to Skokie--North Woods decor.

We gave my mom a break and frequented many of these places years ago.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Shanghai Lil's and other long gone restaurants
Posted by: Kchi (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 02, 2010 03:19PM

I never went there, but I watched when they knocked the building down. It is a block or so west of Central Foster and Milwaukee six blocks or more from Devon. There are condo buildings named Shanghai Lil's Condos 5411-5429 Milwaukee at the location.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2010 03:25PM by Kchi.

AD:

Date: December 02, 2010 03:28PM

Does anybody remember DiLeos at Central and Elston. It closed not too long after Roman Pucinski's wife died after a fall. Don't know whether it had anything to do with any legal proceedings which were filed in July of 1990, Currently there is a bank at the location.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2010 03:52PM by Kchi.

AD:

Posted by: shoreline (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 03, 2010 12:09PM

I can remember a few of the restaurants mentioned -
DiLeos was the classic Italian American place with an extensive menu and a large banquet business. Large windows provided diners with a great view of Elston Ave.
Elliots was at the corner of Skokie Bl (Cicero Ave) and Howard St until the 80s. It was demolished to make way for condos. The restaurant had a hunting lodge appearance with a room large enough to handle a family wedding event during the late 70s.

AD:

Date: December 03, 2010 12:18PM

I seem to remember another couple of Italian restaurants that I think were both named Enzo's. One was on Western Ave. by Lane Tech and the other off of Harlem. I don't know if there was a connection between the two.

AD:

Date: December 04, 2010 01:33PM

Here is a link to a Chicago Tribune Nov 4,1976 half page advertisement writeup for Shanghai Lil's using Proquest through the Chicago Public Library database. Gives info on menu and show.

The link only works if you have a CPL card. I've cited the date of the article for those of you who have access to Proquest through your own library.

http://quicksearch.chipublib.org/cgi-bin/cpl-gr.pl?url=http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?did=611682722&sid=4&Fmt=10&clientId=11417&RQT=309&VName=HNP

Display Ad 16 -- No Title. (1976, November 6). Chicago Tribune (1963-Current file),p. n19. Retrieved December 4, 2010, from ProQuest Historical Newspapers Chicago Tribune (1849 - 1987). (Document ID: 611682722).

Link to 1979 writeup on DiLeo's

http://proquest.umi.com.covers.chipublib.org/pqdweb?index=0&did=625806722&SrchMode=2&sid=3&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1291481170&clientId=11417

Display Ad 107 -- No Title. (1979, May 3). Chicago Tribune (1963-Current file),p. n9. Retrieved December 4, 2010, from ProQuest Historical Newspapers Chicago Tribune (1849 - 1987). (Document ID: 625806722).

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2010 11:20AM by Kchi.

AD:

Posted by: SuperCFL (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: December 22, 2010 08:41PM

I was at Hans Bavarian Lodge, Honey Bear Farm and Ignatz and Mary's once each,

AD:

Posted by: IMissChicago (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 01, 2012 01:22AM

I have Matchbook covers from all those resturants. My parents saved them and then a course when I got older I added on to their collection. We have Hundreds and Hundreds of resturants and bars from the Chicagoland area and all over the states. Although I am glad there is no smoking in resturants and bars, it's another way to have memories that have bitten the dust.

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: June 02, 2012 06:50PM

Does anyone know what happened to a restaurant called,

LaScala Restaurant
5361 N Harlem Ave, Chicago, IL
(773) 792-2030

It used to be on Higgins Avenue near Harlem and then moved on to Harlem around 2000. It was owned by a guy named John along with his wife.

AD:

Posted by: Jazzman (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 08, 2012 01:32AM

several comments ...

Shanghai Lil's was almost across the street from Taste Haste Hot Dog Stand...

Shanghai Lil's also became the BELLI Club for a couple years before closing for good. My aunt was a Waitress there. While it was not used during the BELLI years, I was told there was a large fish tank that featured LIVE girls as mermaids behind the bar when it was Shanghai Lil's.

Enzos was at Foster and Harlem -- the site of the current WALGREENS.

AD:

Posted by: RetroGal (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: November 07, 2012 04:18PM

This is a new one, I have never seen a thing about this particular restaurant....
When the building that was Shanghi LilS first opened, it was NOT called Shanghi Lil's (I had to be around 11-12 years old at the time) My father worked for the City of Chicago and had to do electrical inspections on the building. He got to know the owner and we were invited to the opening of "THE QUID". It had a big swimming pool and Esther Williams was there opening night. It was only called that for a short time, remodeled, pool area filled in, and it became Shanghi Lil's. Does ANYBODY remember it? I have never been able to find out anything about it. THANKS!

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell (63.226.79.---)
Date: November 07, 2012 06:02PM

A while back, I actually came across a few ads in the Tribune for The Quid's opening night while researching some local musician history; it gets mentioned in a 1961 issue of Billboard magazine, and then in September 1962 gets a longer mention in Jet Magazine - according to the article, it seems the owner didn't want to pay pianist Dorothy Donegan her contracted salary for her four week gig. She took legal action and the club closed soon after.

AD:

Posted by: skanado (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 01, 2013 04:48PM

OH YES!! I remember Shanghai Lil's. As a child, it was one of my favorite restaurants. My family and our friends often went there to celebrate birthdays and graduations. I loved that place. I wanted to grow up to be one of the dancers. I wanted to grow my hair long and wear a grass skirt and lei and dance on stage just as they did. I heard the announcer say that some of the dancers took lessons at a dance studio which taught hula and other Hawaiian dances and pestered my mother to let me take lessons. Sadly, my mother's ideas for my future did not include hula dancing at a restaurant.

If my mother went out to Shanghai Lil's without me, I made certain she bring home all of the paper umbrellas and leis she and her friends got.

Funny how something that would be laughable today made me so happy then.

AD:

Posted by: gglow (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 02, 2013 09:03PM

Before there was a DiLeo's restaurant, the brothers had a butcher shop/grocery.
If I can remember it was located at May & Huron Sts. I believe it then moved to May & Ohio Sts. This was at the time the neighborhood was being torn down for the Northwest expressway.

AD:

Posted by: Cragin Spring (---.dhcp.ftbg.wi.charter.com)
Date: February 13, 2015 02:31AM

Remember Honey Bear Farm very well and it was owned by Carson Pirie Scott. It must be over 25 years since it closed. Ignatz & Mary's was a very popular restaurant at one time on Lake (Euclid) & Milwaukee Ave. I heard once the family decided to hang it up. The restaurant was on a popular corner and replaced by a hotel and a Dapper's Restaurant.

Han's Bavarian Lodge in Wheeling was always famous for their Octoberfest. They packed in many people every year. A place that was famous on Milwaukee Ave. just south of River Rd. was the Villa Venice Supper Club which was owned by the mob's Sam Giancana. The Rat Pack performed at the Villa Venice one night. The Villa Venice burned down and the location now sits Allgauer's Restaurant.

AD:

Date: March 31, 2015 03:47PM

I came accross a picture of the Golden Flame resturant sign on 'PicturingUS'. I can remeber going there right before they closed for a wedding. Someone was looking for a picture of this sign before it was remodeled to it's present state. Walgreen's I think now.

http://picturingchicago.com/index.php?option=com_g2bridge&view=gallery&Itemid=62&g2_itemId=159956

Some nice photos of the Chicago area also.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2015 03:53PM by rjmachon.

AD:

Posted by: the_mogra (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: April 21, 2015 12:57PM

I went once to Shanghai Lil's with some friends in 1973, and yes it was almost directly across Milwaukee from Hastee-Tastee hot dog stand (the last of the SuperDawg competition and I enjoyed all of them). My friend Ed introduced me to a pretty good pizza restaurant a couple blooks north on Milw. from there called LaCantina. All are gone now of course and I've been trying to get a handle on when Hastee-Tastee closed, maybe 1984?

I went to DiLeo's restaurant @ Elston & Central because that's where Skil Power Tools where I worked then (1973) had their Christmas luncheons, but they switched to ElCentro restaurant on the opposite corner of Elston & Central later

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2015 03:32PM by the_mogra.

AD:

Date: April 22, 2015 09:55PM

LaCantina was right next to the McDonalds on Milwaukee. They had a great pizza there. I remember the place well.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact