Bulesque theater

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Bulesque theater
Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 22, 2010 10:16PM

[b]Is anybody old enough to remember a burlesque theater on State and harrison? Not the one off of Congress but a block or so south on the west side of the street. The house was in poor condition and the girls looked bad.[/b]

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Bulesque theater
Posted by: b.a.hoarder (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 23, 2010 02:10AM

I recall that it was a few doors north of the Pacific Garden Mission, but cannot remember the name. I was personally in the one north of Congress, I think it was in '65 and I was sixteen. Couldn't have been more than a buck or two to get in, and as far as being underage nobody cared as long as you paid. The name was the Follies, some of the women performed to recordings, others to the house band, there was a really bad comedian, and lastly there was some old sot hawking a book that I think was titled "The White Slavery Racket". The book could have been written be the owner of the dump, detailing how he acquired the old hags working there. In it's purest form burlesque was classy, by the time I went to see it it was titillating (no pun intended) for a 16 year old but in retrospect pretty depressing for the sorry souls employed there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2010 02:12AM by b.a.hoarder.

AD:

Re: Bulesque theater
Posted by: Kchi (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 03, 2010 12:58PM

Link to Jazz Age with a writeup on Burlesque Theaters

http://chicago.urban-history.org/ven/ths/burlesque.shtml

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact