buttered popcorn at the movies

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
buttered popcorn at the movies
Posted by: liz (---.dsl.okcyok.swbell.net)
Date: November 16, 2010 05:42AM

who remembers when you could extra butter on your popcorn at the movies.the drink from the vending machine when the cup fell over and the liquid didn't get in your cup.ice cream you ate with a wooden spoon. the vending machine with the root beer barrel candy.then you would go up to the balcony before they roped it off.we would go to the uptown and the riviera in the old days.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: buttered popcorn at the movies
Posted by: Tim (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: November 16, 2010 07:53PM

Those were the days when my parents gave me $0.40 for a trip to the movies. $0.25 for admission (two movies) and $0.15 for an un-buttered popcorn.

As you know Liz, it was usually meant walking to the Uptown or Riviera. Sometimes the Nortown at Devon and Broadway. I assume the theaters are still there, but closed?

AD:

Posted by: fleurblue (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 16, 2010 08:36PM

I worked at the Milford Theater as a candy girl when I was in high school. At 16 it t was my first real job.

We made popcorn in those glass enclosures and tipped that scalding hot metal basket down to empty the popcorn to the bin. As I was doing this the basket touched my inner arm. I had a terrible burn and a scar that lasted years. All that for $.90 per hour.

But we had some benefits. Although the manager (a real creep) kept strict inventory control of the candy counter, popcorn was free.

Remember the butter machine? We didn't just butter our corn; we filled a paper cup with melted butter and "dipped" each kernel. How delicious! And it was really dairy unsalted butter; we put the sticks into the melter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2010 08:39PM by fleurblue.

AD:

Posted by: shoreline (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 17, 2010 01:50AM

Tim Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Those were the days when my parents gave me $0.40
> for a trip to the movies. $0.25 for admission
> (two movies) and $0.15 for an un-buttered
> popcorn.
>
> As you know Liz, it was usually meant walking to
> the Uptown or Riviera. Sometimes the Nortown at
> Devon and Broadway. I assume the theaters are
> still there, but closed?

You've mentioned all of my favorite theaters of the .25 admission era. The Riv and Uptown remain standing. Sadly, the Granada was razed around 1990 and the Nortown was demolished in 07.

AD:

Posted by: StrayKitten (66.28.242.---)
Date: November 19, 2010 12:27PM

Tim Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Those were the days when my parents gave me $0.40
> for a trip to the movies. $0.25 for admission
> (two movies) and $0.15 for an un-buttered
> popcorn.
>
> As you know Liz, it was usually meant walking to
> the Uptown or Riviera. Sometimes the Nortown at
> Devon and Broadway. I assume the theaters are
> still there, but closed?

Hi Tim,

The Granada was located at Devon and Broadway. The Nortown was on Western between Rosemont and Devon. Both beautiful theaters. It was so much more fun to go to the movies in these theaters! It was an entire experience instead of just watching a movie. We have all these memories. What will the people who have never known sitting in these palaces have to tell about their movie-going experiences? Maybe just talk about the movie they saw?

AD:

Posted by: Tim (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: November 20, 2010 12:45PM

Hard to forget watching The Blob or Gorgo at the Uptown. BTW, I got mixed up w/regard to the Granada and the Nortown. It was the former I'd visit on occasion. BTW, a friend of mine, David Naylor, authored a book entitld "Great American Picture Palaces." In it he specifically references the Uptown.

AD:

Posted by: s justice (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 04, 2011 12:35AM

When i worked at the Chicago Motor Club in the late 1960's. I would go over to State Street and go into the theatre just for buttered popcorn to bring back to work. No Movie.

Skip

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact