Vending Machines on Subway Platforms

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Vending Machines on Subway Platforms
Posted by: fleurblue (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 14, 2010 09:45PM

As a kid, I remember small gumball-type machines fastened to the steel girders on subway platforms. I remember them on the Lake and Washington St. platforms but they were probably everywhere.

Even as a kid these things seemed gross. They contained candy and gum in bulk and I wondered if they were ever washed. You put in a few cents and received a handful of whatever.

The selection included chicklets, those little, round red peanuts with the skins--and grease! There were other candies too. I wonder what creepy-crawlers feasted on this bounty late at night.

I never saw any hungry commuters use the machines, though. I wonder who talked City Hall into mounting these things; and the Board of Health too.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Vending Machines on Subway Platforms
Posted by: liz (---.dsl.okcyok.swbell.net)
Date: November 14, 2010 11:56PM

I remember those gum vending machines.they looked old and gross.my friend did put money in once and nothing came out.

AD:

Posted by: Kchi (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 15, 2010 11:29AM

Here is a link to a picture of a 1936 Mills Gum Dispenser.

AD:

Posted by: FranCarmen (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 15, 2010 12:57PM

I remember candy machines on the Ravenswood (brown line) el platforms at Belmont and Fullerton, which were the stops where I would change lines, in the late sixties and early seventies. Standing there freezing and hungry they did look tempting, but I do remember thinking the candy bars would have been frozen in the winter.

http://francesarcher.com

AD:

Posted by: daveg (130.36.62.---)
Date: November 15, 2010 04:10PM

We occasionally fed the red skinned peanuts to the pigeons way back when. They didn't seem to mind. Of course, almost anything is food to a pigeon.

AD:

Posted by: SuperCFL (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: November 30, 2010 02:31AM

I know a fellow who's looking to sell one of those machines, if anyone's interested.

Kchi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here is a link to a picture of a 1936 Mills Gum
> Dispenser.
>
>

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact