Weird sighting

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Weird sighting
Posted by: tseals (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 06, 2010 01:57AM

Does anyone rememeber an Asian diner club on Caldwell, somewhere west of the Edens, across the street from the golf course? I rememeber in the early '70s seeing a green awning coming from the front door, across the sidewalk to the parkway. I have asked numerous residents of the area, but no one rememebers it.
They may have torn it down and built two raised ranches in its location.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Weird sighting
Posted by: WayOutWardell (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 07, 2010 02:24PM

Yes I do! I can't remember the name, but it was on the corner of Caldwell and Le Mai, and yes, there are two houses in its place now.

AD:

Posted by: tseals (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 08, 2010 04:17AM

Thanks WOW. Not one person that grew up in that neighborhood rememebers it. (but you & me).

AD:

Posted by: the_mogra (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: May 01, 2015 06:05PM

in 1995 I placed an offer to purchase one of those 2 houses which was for sale at that time, with a local real estate office. I remember commenting to the agent the house seemed of comparitively recent construction and her reply was yes, there stood a chinese restaurant "that nobody went to" (her words) there previously. I did not close the deal

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 02, 2015 12:52AM

Thanks for reviving this thread - I have since found that the name of the Chinese restaurant was Genghis Khan. Before that, though, it was a Mexican restaurant called Joe's La Siesta, which was mentioned in one of Jory Graham's guidebooks to Chicago.

AD:

Date: May 02, 2015 01:13PM

I also recall the restaurant from driving past it in the late '70s when I drove on Caldwell, although when I made the house offer years later I didn't automatically make the association

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 02, 2015 03:01PM

I can remember this place from 1973. I can remember the green awning as well. I always thought it was a funny place for a restaurant but they seem to be busy on the weekends.

AD:

Date: May 04, 2015 12:36PM

i agree it was a slightly funny location for a restaurant. me and the mrs then decided not to raise our offer in 1995 for the large raised ranch house that replaced it because we're having reservations about the relatively speedy caldwell traffic with us having 4 young children (so we probably shouldn't've even placed the 1st offer)

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact