South side riding stables

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
South side riding stables
Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 17, 2010 10:17PM

[b]Anybody old enough to remember the riding stable on 86th & Damen? He had his horses in a garage and you would ride trough the alley to the Dan Ryan forest preserve just west of the horse stable. Also Lucky Circle on 87th & Kean ave. We used to ride at White Stables at about 8000 s. Kean avenue. That was back in the 50's. I am most interested of the one on Damen just before 87th street.[b][/b][/b]

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: South side riding stables
Posted by: captain54 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 18, 2010 12:10AM

not old enough to remember riding in Dan Ryan Woods, but do remember quite a few stable along Kean in Willow Springs and Hickory Hills...there was one at 95th and Kean that I know was open into the 80's, maybe even the 90's...I remember an old timer telling me a few years back that he remembers riders riding east on 95th down the middle of street all the way up to Cicero...that was probably 30's and 40's..

other long lost sw suburban sites were Kiddyland @ 95th and Pulaski, Martinique/ Drury Lane near 95th and Western, Branding Iron in Oak Lawn on 95th near Kostner

drive inns @ 95th and Ridgeland, 87th and Cicero, 79th and Harlem and 2800 SW Highway...lots of opportunities to get lucky back in those days....

AD:

Posted by: bobdotburke (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 02, 2011 07:21PM

I remember the stable. I used to live at 85th & Damen in the 60's & 70's. That was my old stomping ground. As kids, we were always hanging around the old tracks that are now gone. Wonderful place to grow up. When I was a kid, I remember horses there. I think it was one if not the last stable in the city at that time.

AD:

Posted by: GerryHonore (---.cust.wildblue.net)
Date: March 15, 2014 06:46AM

Rode my first horses at Lucky Circle as a child. Really got into that so by the time I was a young man I actually rode in the rodeo circuit for a few years, even won a buckle, it all started at Lucky Circle, with a really slow nag.

AD:

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 15, 2014 04:43PM

[b]White stables on about 85 & kean. We rode there in the late 40's & early 50's and the swam at the hidden pond.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: Pamj (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: August 31, 2014 02:34PM

I am the Granddaughter of Paul Stahnke, the owner of Lucky Circle Stables. I too road my first horse at my Grandfather's stable and continued riding for years. Do you remember the devastating fire in '64-'65? Our whole family worked there for many years.

AD:

Posted by: Eric F (---.260.popsite.net)
Date: September 01, 2014 12:33PM

There were stables on Kean Ave from 81st to 95th. Kenneth Hansen, who died while appealing his conviction for the 1955 Schussler-Peterson murders, for a time he owned the Bro-Ken-H stables on 82nd.

AD:

Posted by: Eric F (---.260.popsite.net)
Date: September 01, 2014 12:50PM

On second thought, I believe they went as far as 101st-Kean.

AD:

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 01, 2014 09:01PM

[b]I think there was also a girly night spot just a few doors south of White Stables. That was in the late 60' or 70's. acroos from the cemetary. [/b]

AD:

Posted by: davey7 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: September 02, 2014 05:04PM

Wasn't Dan Ryan Woods where comic Brian Babylon (of Wait Wait fame) used to ride to pick up chicks?

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact