Ghost Story from the Sag

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Ghost Story from the Sag
Posted by: Bruce (64.107.150.---)
Date: October 14, 2010 09:55PM

Here's one I found in The Conductor and Brakeman magazine from 1896. I like these old period stories because people were less able to fake things like this in those days. I don't know if the ghostbusters out there are on to this one, but if not here it is.

THE GHOSTS OF SAG BRIDGE.

In the year of '73, during the month of June, there occurred upon the railway of the Chicago & Alton, a catastrophe, almost without parallel and attended with loss of life, among whom were two well known Illinois state penitentiary officials, several prominent people of the city of Joliet, and one unfortunate man whose body was never identified.

This accident was termed, in railway parlance, "a head end collision," between a northbound stock train and the southbound express. The time of the occurrence was about 10 o'clock at night, and the location of the accident was at a place called Sag Bridge, about twenty miles from Chicago.

Strange to relate, none of the employees on the freight train, or either of the engines was killed, although the passengers occupying the smoker and the employees of the mail and baggage cars were cut, bruised, and some mangled into unrecognizable shape, or literally cooked by the escaping steam and hot water.
The passengers occupying the coach and rear sleepers escaped with many slight bruises, and a severe shaking up. The stock on the northbound freight was cruelly crushed and tortured beyond description, and scattered in every possible direction.

The cause of the accident was attributed to negligence of the freight crew, as they were endeavoring, by rapid and reckless running, to gain Willow Springs siding for the southbound express, and also to an imperfect system of train orders used on the line at that time.

The feeling against the conductor, whose name will not be mentioned, as he is a quiet, respectable citizen, and still engaged as a railroad conductor, within the limits of the state, was so intense at the time that he was obliged to immediately "flee for life," and remain hidden in straw stacks or timber, till the indignation against him bad subsided.

The railroad company offered a reward of $1,000 for his capture, and, although he was surrendered by a relative, who divided the reward with him, no proceedings were instituted against either him or the engineer.

The locomotive of the ill-fated stock train was of the pattern which railroad men call a "gunboat.' on account of the peculiar driving wheels and being capable of pulling heavy trains.

The disaster was gossip for weeks following, and the place looked upon with horror by passengers and trainmen alike.

In due course of time, engine 122 came out of the repair shops, as good as new, but her career as a combination of machinery had just commenced; her first night's trip was marked by her cab lamps and headlights suddenly being extinguished by some supernatural agency, just as the train passed the eventful point. At first the enginemen thought but little of it, except as a singular coincidence, but as time rolled along and the circumstance continued occurring at the same point upon all night runs, it became evident that there must be some invisible agency that marked engine 122 because of her connection with the great disaster.

In a short time these unaccountable freaks of this engine caused considerable talk and excitement among the railroad employees, and in consequence of the numerous ghosts which were reported to exist in the locality of Sag Bridge, the night track watchman at the ill fated place, tendered his resignation, saying he could "stand it no more " Stand what?" interrogated his superiors "Why, the ghosts; sure, ivery Sathurday night, when I comes to me shanty, down forninst 'the bridge’, for a spell, there do be sittin' Mr. and Mrs. J ---- who were kilted in the big smashup, as natural as life, and a talkin ."
Although very few gave credence to his story in full, no amount of persuasion induced him to remain. He had seen ghosts, and his superstition compelled him to resign.

This fact, reaching the ears of the trainmen, caused them to relate their thrilling experiences at this same place, much to the astonishment of the officials, who soon were convinced that Sag Bridge was haunted.
At "the bridge" stood a water tank that supplied most of the passing trains with water, and while thus stopping, many of the train hands were confronted by spooks and other apparitions. One freight conductor was so frequently met by these strange sights, that he resigned as a consequence, and is now one of Chicago's prominent businessmen. Conductor R. had no connection with the wreck, and why he should have been selected as a victim was unexplained, but so it was, and every trip that he ventured over his train while stopping at the Sag, his nerves sustained many shocks by forms flitting to and fro ahead of and behind him, as he clambered over the freight cars comprising his train.
The engineer in charge of the 122 would often see a man and a woman climb upon the pilot of the locomotive, when nearing the Sag, and when he ventured an attempt to investigate, they would jump off, while the train was moving, and suddenly disappear.

Two brakemen, "partners" on a night run, formed an investigating society of their own to pry into the causes for the wonderful phantoms at the Sag, and it happened one night, after they ' 'had made the stop" for water, both discovered a ghostly looking object seated on the caboose steps. Arming themselves with stout clubs they gave chase The phantom fled and scaled the fence in full view of its pursuers, who followed and discovered, at the exact spot where the ghost disappeared from the fence, some cows quietly sleeping and undisturbed, showing plainly no earthly form in flesh and blood could have escaped by jumping into their midst.

One old railroad man related his experience to the reporter, as follows: "I was a brakeman those days, and as true as I talk the ghosts were plenty. Why, I've seen them time and again. Often, when walking by the train, examining the running gear, I could hear the chattering of teeth, the outcries of someone, as if in anguish, till the chills would penetrate my very bones, and I would hasten back to the caboose to get rid of the mockery and there I would see faces peering into the windows at me, and, with a moan, quickly disappear. One night I shot at a form, and, to my horror, the form looked like a boiling mass of burning sulphur, and, with a fiendish laugh it sank into the ground. That was too much for me. Half an hour afterward, when the train stopped at the next station, and the conductor returned from the engine, I was found on the floor of the caboose in a dead faint."

The curse of Sag Bridge has never been raised. Even today train crews regard it with awe, mingled with a slight degree of fear, and they have reason for it; accident upon accident has occurred at that unlucky place, generally of a trivial nature, but upon several occasions since '73, these accidents have been attended by loss of life and destruction to property.

Here's an image of the point where the I&M intersected the Drainage Canal showing the water tower and station this story is referring to in 1896. This station was called "Lambert" at one time I am pretty sure. I have included a Google map of the area as it looks now. The red X is approximatley where the B&W image was taken from. If one wants to attempt getting past Biley's guard dogs in his junkyard, and avoiding the MSD police, one could almost revisit the site of this ghost story.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Ghost Story from the Sag
Posted by: 222psm (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: October 18, 2010 03:31PM

I like old railroad ghost stories, a lot of them seem to be "ghost lights" the Paulding light comes to mind, and a mystery light seen on a abandoned railroad between Houston and Galvaston TX. It's seems like a lot of beheaded train men are "looking" for their heads.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2010 03:32PM by 222psm.

AD:

Posted by: captain54 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 18, 2010 03:37PM

we have grandma and grandpa and a few aunts and uncles buried at St James and the "SAG" cemetery....the cemetery is a very creepy place..

AD:

Posted by: liz (---.dsl.okcyok.swbell.net)
Date: October 19, 2010 12:07AM

my grandparents and my dad is buried there.there are steps that go down to the graves and you slip trying to get down there. in the sixties they never let you put flowers or wreaths on the grave. you can put them on now never saw a ghost.

The Church at St. James Sag is the second oldest Catholic Church in Northern
Illinois and dates back to 1833. It was originally a mission and was the site
of a French signal post in the late 1600s. Father Jacques Marquette might have
offered Mass on the bluff in 1673 and/or in 1675. Three buildings make up the
parish structure. The first is the unique and beautiful church; the second,
the rectory built with the same pale yellow Lemont stone in 1942; and the
third, Saginaw Hall built in 1912 and later remodeled in 1970. The large main
gates, fabricated in 1905 for Western Electric in Cicero, were installed at the
entryway in 1980. This location is commonly known as "Monk's Castle" because it
was said that if you were caught trespassing out there at night, the monks
would catch you and make you kneel down on ball bearings all night in prayer.
There never were any monks stationed here and it's simply a folk legend.

A very interesting report comes from a Cook County policeman and a two-page
report submitted by him. The encounter occurred on the Friday before
Thanksgiving in 1977. The officer was on patrol about 2:30 in the morning and
as he drove past the cemetery he saw, through the gates, eight or nine figures
dressed in monk-like outfits. Knowing that there should be no one in there at
that hour, he called out to them to come out and be arrested for trespass. The
monks just continued to walk to the top of the hill. He then grabbed the
shotgun from his car and began to pursue these individuals. The monks had no
difficulty with the terrain, however the police officer was stumbling and
tripping over tombstones and uneven terrain. He got to the top of the hill
within seconds of the individuals however they were no where to be found. He
then ran down the hill towards 107th Street but found nothing. Even an
intensive search later turned up no clues as to the identities or whereabouts
of the monk-like figures. He now believes that what he encountered were not
humans at all but some kind of ghostly phantom manifestations.

The area has been known to been haunted well back to the pioneer history of the
area. The area was settled by the Irish back in the 1830s. They formed what
was called the Sag Community. A former pastor Father Ploszynski, who died in
the rectory on May 10, 1970, confided to friends on his deathbed that he could
often look out his rectory window at night and see the ground rising and
falling as if the earth itself were breathing!

The first reported ghost story dates back to September 30, 1897 and was
reported in the Chicago Tribune. Two musicians Professor William Looney and
John Kelly decided after finishing their performance about 1 in the morning to
stay in a small building overnight. About an hour later, Looney was awakened
by the sound of hoofs on the gravel road. He looked out the window and saw a
carriage. It came up the road that is now Archer Avenue and up to the gravel
entranceway, stop and turn around. He saw what appeared to be a girl in a white
robe just appear out of nowhere. She got into the coach with the driver, they
turned around again and just as they passed the archway, the coach, driver and
everything just vanished! This was during Rev. Bollman's reign.

Recent reports include a phantom black stallion which many people have seen
roaming the graveyard at night and the face of the devil in appearing in rectory
windows.
ghostresearch.org

AD:

Posted by: Bruce (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 21, 2010 03:56AM

Liz,

Thanks for the history.

> The Church at St. James Sag is the second oldest
> Catholic Church in Northern
> Illinois and dates back to 1833. It was
> originally a mission and was the site
> of a French signal post in the late 1600s.

Ya, there has been a number of Palos folks all the way back to before Andreas who believe that the Sag was the body of water that Marquette and Joliett traveled upon to the place of the portage. And that they did not travel through the commonly known portage point to the Chicago River. There is more than a few issues with that theory. These ruins that were still visible back in the day were Indian structures. Sure the French were all over those hills, but the "Signal Hill" story is more accurately pointed toward the local Indians, not the French. There were no known French battles in that area so who were the French signaling? Old time farmers had unearthed lead ball ordinance out of the side of the southern slope of Mt. Forest Island, and some unearthed Indian artifacts, a French powder horn, and even a skeleton. However, none of those artifacts were ever examined by an authority on anthropology. The items are long gone now from what I hear, and the calibers of the lead balls are unknown. The French mission at the site is also quite subjective. The story was used in an attempt to qualify the Marquette theory and revolves around a misunderstanding of the original location of Kaskaskia.

> Father Jacques Marquette might have
> offered Mass on the bluff in 1673 and/or in 1675.

That's a stretch. He doesn't mention the event in his journal.

> This location is commonly known
> as "Monk's Castle" because it
> was said that if you were caught trespassing out
> there at night, the monks
> would catch you and make you kneel down on ball
> bearings all night in prayer.
> There never were any monks stationed here and
> it's simply a folk legend.

Yes that is correct...

>
> A very interesting report comes from a Cook County
> policeman and a two-page
> report submitted by him. The encounter occurred
> on the Friday before
> Thanksgiving in 1977. The officer was on patrol
> about 2:30 in the morning and
> as he drove past the cemetery he saw, through the
> gates, eight or nine figures
> dressed in monk-like outfits. Knowing that there
> should be no one in there at
> that hour, he called out to them to come out and
> be arrested for trespass. The
> monks just continued to walk to the top of the
> hill. He then grabbed the
> shotgun from his car and began to pursue these
> individuals. The monks had no
> difficulty with the terrain, however the police
> officer was stumbling and
> tripping over tombstones and uneven terrain. He
> got to the top of the hill
> within seconds of the individuals however they
> were no where to be found. He
> then ran down the hill towards 107th Street but
> found nothing. Even an
> intensive search later turned up no clues as to
> the identities or whereabouts
> of the monk-like figures. He now believes that
> what he encountered were not
> humans at all but some kind of ghostly phantom
> manifestations.

And I caught Resurrection Mary along Archer one night in the early 90's. Weird stuff has went on in those woods, and I would bet that none of it is paranormal.

>A former pastor
> Father Ploszynski, who died in
> the rectory on May 10, 1970, confided to friends
> on his deathbed that he could
> often look out his rectory window at night and
> see the ground rising and
> falling as if the earth itself were breathing!

I experience that same sensation to when I have a bit too much wine :)

>
> The first reported ghost story dates back to
> September 30, 1897 and was
> reported in the Chicago Tribune. Two musicians
> Professor William Looney and
> John Kelly decided after finishing their
> performance about 1 in the morning to
> stay in a small building overnight. About an
> hour later, Looney was awakened
> by the sound of hoofs on the gravel road. He
> looked out the window and saw a
> carriage. It came up the road that is now Archer
> Avenue and up to the gravel
> entranceway, stop and turn around. He saw what
> appeared to be a girl in a white
> robe just appear out of nowhere. She got into
> the coach with the driver, they
> turned around again and just as they passed the
> archway, the coach, driver and
> everything just vanished! This was during Rev.
> Bollman's reign.

That stretch is real darned black at night with no street lights. Is this the 19th Century equivalent of Resurrection Mary? Always a white dress.

It should not be too much trouble to find that article in the Tribune Archives on-line. I'd like to see it.

>
> Recent reports include a phantom black stallion
> which many people have seen
> roaming the graveyard at night and the face of the
> devil in appearing in rectory
> windows.

I wonder how recent. Back when the Forest Preserve had the wild Buffalo fenced in over at 87th and Kean it was not uncommon for one of more to escape at night. Those things went straight for the local resident's flower and vegetable gardens. I'm not saying the stallion was a buffalo, but there were farmers around there and horses like to eat sweets too.

I bet you can guess that I don't believe in these local ghost stories. All of this stuff is to easy to explain. If one wished, one could make a ghost story out of about anything one can think of.

Just starting some fun discussion here, that's all. St. James is a great chunk of history for this area. As I peer through the names in the tombstone lists, I recognize most of the family names. A part of my family came to the Sag in 1854. They lived about 200 feet west of 104th avenue off the Cal Sag Road. They didn't go to St. James though because they were Lutherans.

Bruce

AD:

Posted by: WindyCityGuy (---.deiworldwide.com)
Date: October 21, 2010 07:00PM

Nice story. Thanks!

AD:

Posted by: Bruce (64.107.150.---)
Date: October 21, 2010 09:32PM

Here is the actual article. Very interesting indeed. There is much more to the story than what was posted above, and I retract the street light comment. Interesting the location of the two story dance hall. I look at articles like this to try and locate structures. I don't have any old plats of the Sag Bridge area, but have researched Hanrahan's because that place was a true mobster beer runner hangout. The place was so fiercly utilized by beer runners in the 20's that the County Police were afraid to go in there. The Sag Bridge village attempted incorporation in the mid 1890's but was shot down because the Sanitary police ran the town like their own little hamlet. The people around there wanted to incorporate to keep the police out of their business.

Back to this story, The Sanitary District police stations were located between the I&M Canal and the Sanitary Canal in all the cases I am aware of (on their property obviously).

This story seems to indicate that the dance hall was relativley close to either Archer or 107th street. I know that the tavern that would (if it wasn't already) Hanrahan's was down close to where Jerry Valley Auto's office building was but closer to Archer. The dance hall may very well be this same place, and with canal construction and farmers living in that area, the tress on the south side of Archer were more than likley cleared.

This is a good ghost story! and from a period source with an illustration to boot.

AD:

Posted by: daveg (---.lightspeed.joltil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 21, 2010 10:03PM

Interesting story. Wonder if Professor Looney was ? :-) Probably not from the sound of the narrative.

Is this area busier than usual this time of year ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2010 09:23PM by daveg.

AD:

Posted by: Bruce (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 22, 2010 02:39PM

Busy? Oh my yes. The county posts a squad at St. James around Halloween to chase off the kids.

Bruce

AD:

Posted by: Jeff_Weiner (---.sub-70-194-99.myvzw.com)
Date: January 14, 2016 03:07AM

I wonder if there are still manifestations on that bridge?

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 (---.dhs.gov)
Date: January 14, 2016 12:21PM

BTT

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact