Bunker Hill Country Club

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Bunker Hill Country Club
Posted by: Kchi (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: October 14, 2010 12:05PM

I know Bunker Hill Forest Preserve was once a golf course. The clubhouse was on Milwaukee Ave. Since the Chicago River splits the property, ther must have been a bridge over the river. Does anybody know when the bridge disappeared? Were any of the holes on the clubhouse side?

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Bunker Hill Country Club
Posted by: fleurblue (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 20, 2010 11:44PM

I don't know about the Bunker Hill golf course but I wonder if anyone remembers the dance pavillions at nearby Caldwell Woods?

I guess I remember seeing one during a family picnic in the 60's. The dance floor was a structure covering the area of a small house. All wood, with a roof and dance floor raised about 3 feet from the ground. There was a wide flight of stairs at each end and benches all along the inside walls. The open spaces on the exterior were covered with lattice woodwork. The whole thing was painted dark brown.

Of course all the kids in the grove were crawling over the place, running and sliding on the floor. I couldn't help thinking about what a charming place it would be to hold a dance. I haven't seen one since and I don't remember seeing the Caldwell structure later in the 60's.

AD:

Posted by: sandlotstudio (---.dsl.snfc21.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 08, 2011 07:37PM

Bunker Hill is one of my favorite topics. My Grandfather (Joe Jozwiak) managed the club and his wife (Emma) ran the kitchen and banquet facilities. I learned to golf there.

If my memory is correct, the first tee was right outside and to the right of the clubhouse, just past the fountain. You would have driven your ball SSE (almost parallel to the river) to hit the first tee. Then you would cross the river to play the rest of the course.

I am not positive when the bridge disappeared, but I am pretty sure it no longer exists. Being made of wood, it was pretty much in disrepair when I visited in the late '60s.

The last time I visited Bunker Hill was while I was stationed at Great Lakes in early 1972. There was talk of selling off the site, which was a major concern to the VFW post there.

Hope this is useful to you. Please let me know if I can supply additional info.

AD:

Posted by: sandlotstudio (---.dsl.snfc21.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 09, 2011 08:17PM

Sorry, just re-read my post and what I should have said was that you would have driven your ball SSE (almost parallel to the river) to hit the first green.

AD:

Posted by: jay1318 (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: April 13, 2011 12:21PM

Can't believe I found this. I live on Milwaukee avenue right at the Ridgewood Gardens flower shop. (6500 N.). I've lived there for 6 years and worked at the nearby nursing home for 14 years. Needless to say, me and my dog have done a LOT of exploring along both side of the river between Devon and Touhy.

What i'm most curious about are a couple of things...

Just as you enter Niles (at Imlay) there is a little "park" with the welcome to Niles sign. Directly behind this, along the bank of the river, there is lots of structure including a landing of some kind, stairs, and what appears to be the base of an old building. What was this? The specific area is here...
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=42.000715,-87.790548&spn=0.000816,0.001742&t=h&z=20

I also believe I know the location of the above bridge spoken of by the clubhouse. http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=42.004136,-87.790782&spn=0.003265,0.006968&t=h&z=18

While traversing this location on the east side of the river, it is an area all ensconsed by trees and there is a portion of land that really seems like it would have once been a bridge landing area. But it's different than the other "removed" bridges and i've always pictured it as being a long wooden bridge.

I guess having this area as my "backyard" for so long and being an outdoors enthusiast, it and it's history have always fascinated me. I'd LOVE to see old pictures of this entire area.

AD:

Posted by: MelvinaMarauder (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: February 19, 2012 04:41PM

Bump

I was about to ask the same kinds of questions...does anyone have any old photos of the golf course or early era of the FP? I also frequent this area. I know where the golf course bridge was, as well as another bridge that used to cross the river north of the pool. There are signs everywhere that this place was once jumping. One of my favorite details is what appears to be an old signal light for street cars at the Milwaukee/Imlay bus turnabout. I've got pictures of it but I don't know how to post them without posting them online first.

Joe

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2012 05:15AM

I remember the Cock Robin ice cream store on the corner of Milwaukee and Albion, and a restaurant across the street. I also remember the VFW club and Slingerland drums, it was on Milwaukee as well.

I am trying to check with Niles Historical Society to see if they have any early pictures of this area.

AD:

Date: February 23, 2012 12:15PM

Cock Robin at one time was called Prince Castle.

I also remember going to many funeral luncheons at the old club house when it was run by the VFW. Does aybody have any info as to when the VFW bought the clubhouse and when it closed?

I don't know what the timing was as to whether they closed because of the expansion of the White Eagle or whether the White Eagle took over the funeral lunch business after the VFW closed.

AD:

Date: February 23, 2012 06:30PM

The VFW closed it doors in the early 1990's I think. The few remaining members merged with another VFW in DesPlaines I believe. We can not forget about Blazes bar down the street on Milwaukee!

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell (63.226.79.---)
Date: February 23, 2012 10:31PM

The VFW was there at least until 1988; that year, my high school history class had give a presentation on government and it was held there.

Slingerland moved from Niles in 1986, but the factory is still standing, now used by Hesco Supply Co.

AD:

Posted by: snappytom (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 10, 2012 10:04PM

WayOutWardell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The VFW was there at least until 1988; that year,
> my high school history class had give a
> presentation on government and it was held there.
>
> Slingerland moved from Niles in 1986, but the
> factory is still standing, now used by Hesco
> Supply Co.

First job I ever had was working in the woodshop at Slingerland about 1977.

Across from the Cock Robin there was Don's Humburgers (yes ... Hum..) a vintage diner type coffee shop/greasy spoon joint. Not sure if it was open in 77, but I do recall my father taking me there several times as a child.

AD:

Date: March 11, 2012 04:23PM

Thanks snappytom. That's the name of the restaurant I was trying to remember. What a hole in the wall place! I think it closed around 1978 with Cock Robin. Didn't Niles Village buy both properties?

AD:

Date: March 12, 2012 01:45PM

No. The building where Don's was located is still there but was taken over by the florist next door.

AD:

Posted by: Frankenberg (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: June 21, 2013 06:10PM

Can anybody help me find information on Harry M. Frankenberg, later to be known as :\"Count Yogi", the great golfer and entrepenure out of Chicago's past from 1912 to 1948? He still holds the worlds lowest competitive scoring record that was at Bunker Hill Golf Course in 1934 in the Chicago Open Champioship, playing with Al espinosa from Sportsman's, and Terry McGovern. More testimonials and feats located at: http://www.countyogigolf.com Would love to have some help in saving and preserving this legacy of one of Chicago's greatest sons.

AD:

Date: October 05, 2013 02:34AM

You should be able to find something through the PGA.

AD:

Posted by: Nickvet419 (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 30, 2015 11:21PM

The old clubhouse located at 6701 N Milwalkee Ave was torn down in the 90's. The golf course itself was removed in the 50's and became the Bunker Hill forest preserve and the Bunker Hill Estates. Where the clubhouse stood now stands the Bunker Hills Club Condominiums.

A bridge foundation can still be found behind the Regency Rehabilitation Center. It also looks as though there was another wooden bridge just behind the clubhouse. Some of the contours of the golf course can still be notices around Bunker Hill.

Before Bunker Hill became part of the forest preserve, the were other forest preserve areas around it that have now all blended together but were more defined in the past. The Sidney Yates Flatwoods, Bunker Hill Savannah, Oxbow Prairie, Smith Woods.

There was parking areas for the Savannah and Flatwoods area off of Caldwell Ave. From those parking areas you could walk across a bridge, which foundation can also be found along the river, to the Whealan Pool. When bunker hill was transformed into a picnic area a new bridge was built that connected Bunker Hill with Caldwell Woods and the old bridges were demolished.

Check out HistoricalAerials.com. They have some old aerials photographs of the golf course back to 1938. http://historicaerials.com?layer=1938&zoom=16&lat=42.00404047567534&lon=-87.786726951599

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2015 11:25PM by Nickvet419.

AD:

Posted by: Kchi (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 31, 2015 01:35PM

Thank You Nickvet419 for the aerial reference. If you go to the bottom and click on T1981, it still shows the two bridges across the river from the back of once was the clubhouse area. When you click on T1993 the bridges are gone.

AD:

Posted by: gman (---.sfltd.com)
Date: June 01, 2015 11:58AM

Kchi Wrote:
> Thank You Nickvet419 for the aerial reference.
> If you go to the bottom and click on T1981, it
> still shows the two bridges across the river from
> the back of once was the clubhouse area. When you
> click on T1993 the bridges are gone.

My wife and I walk our dogs around there and often follow the river. You can still see the bridge foundations and some other structures in the vicinity.

AD:

Date: June 03, 2015 06:39PM

I remember a stone masonry, for headstones in that area as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2015 06:46PM by rjmachon.

AD:

Posted by: gman (---.sfltd.com)
Date: June 03, 2015 07:01PM

rjmachon Wrote:
> I remember a stone masonry, for headstones in that
> area as well.

Patek & Sons is still there, across from the cemetery on Milwaukee (a few blocks north of Devon).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2015 07:02PM by gman.

AD:

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact