Horse Trough

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Horse Trough
Posted by: b.a.hoarder (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 10, 2010 08:39PM

Back in the early '70's I used to go to a business near 31st & Kedzie, and just north of Kedzie a RR track crossed the street serving local industries. At the SE corner formed by the street and track was a remnant of the past, a horse trough. It was a light green color, maybe terra cotta, or some type of stone, or possibly even cast bronze. It was the last one , in fact the only one, I ever saw in the city. I've often wondered when it disappeared and what might have become of it.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Horse Trough
Posted by: frworksonpaper (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 11, 2010 01:25AM

There is still a horse trough on the Lincoln Park running path just north of Fullerton. It was rebuilt a few years ago in concrete replacing a stone fixture. It runs year round.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/juggernautco/3049719836/][/url]

AD:

Posted by: bwalsh (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 11, 2010 02:27AM

There used to be one at the corner of Chicago and Michigan (NE corner). I thought it was still there, but I haven't walked by there in a while.

AD:

Posted by: b.a.hoarder (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 11, 2010 08:29PM

The trough I remember on Kedzie was more like the one pictured here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/christiansphotos/4651496825/
Similar, but not matching, the base was different. It did not support the whole underside as seen in the photo.

I don't know if it had the fixture (?, whatever it is) in the center as I never got out of the car to look at it closely. In Googling "troughs, Chicago" I've learned that many were installed in the city by the Fire Department, and I believe filled from the hydrants. Interestingly the CFD still has a repair facility at 31st and Sacramento and I think a warehouse along 31st too.
The repair shop was much larger in the mid '50's and there was a big storage yard there too that held various old trucks (teens-'20's, etc) and equipment. BITD the CFD cast and machined the fittings they used on hoses and trucks, but I do not know why they didn't just purchase them.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact