The Small Shop At 6930 W.Armitage

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
The Small Shop At 6930 W.Armitage
Posted by: Chipast (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: September 25, 2010 02:12AM

There's a building on that block which had some sort of small business. If anybody remembers, What was that place?

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: The Small Shop At 6930 W.Armitage
Posted by: Artista (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 26, 2010 02:58AM

I hope someone comes forward to answer your question Chip'

AD:

Date: September 26, 2010 05:45PM

Not too helpful. But I would believe that place was either a barber shop, beauty salon, etc. But rather unusual, Since it was obviously the only business on that block, When the rest were more private residences. Certainly on many side streets you had taverns, grocery stores, factories, schools, churches.

AD:

Posted by: jclillig (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: September 29, 2010 02:50AM

That building (6944 W. Armitage, according to the Assessor's website) was Pete's, a small neighborhood grocery store. The owner was Pete Calderone, I think. Someone from the neighborhood will be able to confirm that last name or give the correct one. My grandmother lived down the street and she used to take us there all the time. She would go there almost every day. The store had everything you would need to stock up. I don't recall whether they would make sandwiches or serve gelato or anything like that, but I want to say that they did. I remember my grandmother getting bread and milk and stuff and getting us baseball cards and maybe ice cream.

The store operated at least through most of the 1970's, if not into the 1980's.

There was also a small bar on Armitage, in the 7000 block, on the other side of the street (the south side). That closed earlier, sometime in the 70's. Those two were the only non-residential structures on Armitage from Oak Park to Harlem.

AD:

Date: September 29, 2010 01:19PM

Thank you, That was very helpful.

AD:

Date: September 29, 2010 02:14PM

Was the supposed bar on the corner, Or in the middle of the street?.

AD:

Date: September 30, 2010 01:52AM

The bar was in the middle of the block. I don't remember now whether it was the 6900 block or the 7000 block, but I know it was on the south side of the street. If I drove by again I could point it out. I tried on the assessor's website last night but could not find it.

It may have been a private or semi-private club, but it definitely had neon signs advertising beer showing through the windows. I am pretty sure it was a bar. As I said, it closed sometime before Pete's, sometime in the 1970's.

Two other thoughts: (1)I think I tried to start a thread on here at some point about bars or stores in the middle of blocks, rather than on the corners. I can think of 6 or 7 off the top of my head, around the city. Maybe I didn't post the thread, just thought about it.

(2) Chipast - what is your interest in Pete's and other specific locations? I am intrigued by your focus on specific buildings and spots, from different neighborhoods.

AD:

Date: September 30, 2010 03:33PM

Well, I usually think it's interesting to see tucked away places on side streets. In this subject.

AD:

Date: October 05, 2010 03:58AM

I drove down Armitage the other day. I am pretty sure the bar was located at 7009-7011 W. Armitage. Now there are 2 houses at those addresses that were built in 1988, according to a few different online sites. That was about where I remember the bar being located, and those are the only newer houses on that stretch.

Perhaps someone else remembers the bar, what its name was, and whether it was at that address for sure.

AD:

Posted by: 222psm (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: October 05, 2010 10:09AM

jclillig Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I drove down Armitage the other day. I am pretty
> sure the bar was located at 7009-7011 W. Armitage.
> Now there are 2 houses at those addresses that
> were built in 1988, according to a few different
> online sites. That was about where I remember the
> bar being located, and those are the only newer
> houses on that stretch.
>
> Perhaps someone else remembers the bar, what its
> name was, and whether it was at that address for
> sure.

Well, that may explain why I could not locate any thing that looked like a bar in Google street view. Thanks.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact