The Old Atlas Insurance Building At Chicago Nr Paulina

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
The Old Atlas Insurance Building At Chicago Nr Paulina
Posted by: Chipast (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: September 25, 2010 12:23AM

Until about 1968 or 69, I had a vague memory of an Atlas Insurance Building at the SE corner of Chicago & Paulina. I don't remember how tall the building was. From what I know the building had a fire & was demolished & replaced by 3 one story stores. Burton's Shoes, Ace Discount Center & Tic-Toc Shop. The original Atlas Insurance sign is now at Deitch's Prescriptions. Redone as it's main sign, Since the insurance agency moved to that location after the fire. But closed down some 5-10 years later. Does anybody remember the old Atlas Insurance Building at Chicago nr Paulina & how tall it was?.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: The Old Atlas Insurance Building At Chicago Nr Paulina
Posted by: gordonmeyer (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 30, 2013 09:45PM

I've been trying to identify the location of the address "20 Atlas Building" as listed in an ad for the "Occult Publishing Company" in 1900. I wonder if this might have been the building you remember, altho I wonder about the years matching up.

AD:

Posted by: Mr Downtown (---.c3-0.drb-ubr1.chi-drb.il.cable.rcn.com)
Date: March 31, 2013 12:21AM

The Atlas Block (built 1879, demolished 1940) was at the northwest corner of Wabash and Randolph.

AD:

Posted by: gordonmeyer (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 31, 2013 03:10PM

Thanks, Mr Downtown. Much appreciated.

I've seen "Block" used before, such as Ashland Block. What does that mean? Was it just a way of referring to buildings of a certain type?

AD:

Date: April 01, 2013 12:55AM

I'm not sure if a "block" was merely a bit of puffery, used for larger buildings, or if it perhaps indicated a building with multiple uses, such as retail and office. The Monadnock Block is probably the best-known such building that remains, but once there were many.

AD:

Posted by: Chipast (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 05, 2013 03:37PM

No, This building was at the SE corner of Chicago nr Paulina. And had a fire in either 1968 or 69. And was 2-4 stories high.

AD:

Date: April 06, 2013 03:38PM

It appears that there were several "Atlas" buildings: The Atlas Block at Wabash & Randolph; The Atlas Building at 228 S. Wabash, built in 1930; and apparently another one near Chicago & Paulina. My reply to [b]gordonmeyer[/b] about the Atlas Block doesn't mean [b]Chipast[/b] is wrong.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact