The Large Gas City Sign

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
The Large Gas City Sign
Posted by: Chipast (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: September 25, 2010 12:08AM

Many years ago at 55th & Pulaski there was a Gas City flagship station. They boasted that the had the "largest sign in Chicago", 40 feet tall. If anyone can remember that sign. Describe how the 40 foot sign stood? I remember a Gas City station in that vicinity. But don't remember the large 40 foot sign.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: The Large Gas City Sign
Posted by: b.a.hoarder (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 25, 2010 01:04AM

I don't recall the sign but I do remember what put that guy on the map, so to speak.
During the oil crisis of 1973 he was contracted with Clark Refineries for his fuel. Clark had to sell him product to satisfy the contract and as a result he had more gas to sell than their own stations did. Being an independent producer the Clark pricing was also more favorable.
Later on, (early 90's?) he sold many locations to Shell and had a no compete clause in that transaction. After the no compete time limit expired he bought back some locations "cherry picking" only the best. An astute business man for sure.

AD:

Date: September 26, 2010 06:00PM

According to some 1972 aerial of 55th & Pulaski. The 40-foot sign was on the SE corner of that intersection. A tall & wide sign apparently.

AD:

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 26, 2010 07:31PM

[b]I worked a few blocks away and we all got our gas for our viecles there. The sign was very big.[/b]

AD:

Date: September 27, 2010 03:56PM

But anyway, I took another look. And apparently I must have gotten some things wrong. But was the large sign on the SE corner or was it atop the building?.

AD:

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 27, 2010 10:51PM

[b]On the se corner over the walk i think but it wasn't on the roof. I will look on Google Street view.[/b]

AD:

Date: September 28, 2010 12:06AM

It DOES look like it was at the SE corner of Pulaski & 55th. I checked the 1972 HistoricAerials.com map of it.

AD:

Posted by: rrbond07 (---.sub-75-219-84.myvzw.com)
Date: September 28, 2010 02:54AM

Hey I remember that sign! I lived over by St. Richard Church/Archer park area. I would drive down Pulaski to attend Daley College. I had stopped there every now and then to get gas or pick up milk.

AD:

Posted by: Steve B. (---.performancemetal.com)
Date: September 29, 2010 03:37PM

The largest sign in Chicago in the 1960s was "Tasemkin's Furniture" on 46th and Ashland Avenue, east side of the street. I don't know if the Gas City sign trumped Tasemkin's or not.

AD:

Date: September 29, 2010 03:41PM

In height it obviously did, As opposed to width.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact