Lincoln Square

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Lincoln Square
Posted by: didinoir (---.neiu.edu)
Date: September 11, 2010 03:52PM

Not sure if this has been discussed before, but in the early 90s I used to attend the German American Festival with my parents every September and always marveled at the shops and restaurants on that short stretch of Lincoln between Lawrence and Leland. I forgotten most of what had been there but I see very little has survived. Last night was the first time I have been to the fest in over a decade. Garcia's Restaurant is still there, but it has been greatly expanded since the last time I saw it and no longer a little whole in the wall place. Can anyone name the businesses that were there in the late 80s and early 90s? Avdich Jewelers which used to be right on the corner is also gone. Payless and Walgreen's are still on their respective corners.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Lincoln Square
Posted by: Chidude84 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 13, 2010 01:31AM

The Davis Theater is still there but they don't show German movies like they used to back in the day, Merz Apothecary is still there as well, and of course the Brahaus is still there. Timeless Toys is also still there and they've been there since the early 90's.

AD:

Re: Lincoln Square
Posted by: murphman (---.evdo.leapwireless.net)
Date: January 01, 2013 04:17AM

Grecian tavern was and maybe still there on the east side of the street. Seems to me there was an optometrist across the street with an orange awning. also a small pizza joint I hung out in once in a while called, Mike's I think with an old RC cola sign out front. This was in the early eighties. Saw pictures online awhile ago either on flickr or great American memories. Ill try to find and post If I can.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact