Phone Booths

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Phone Booths
Posted by: liz (---.dsl.okcyok.swbell.net)
Date: August 25, 2010 06:29PM

Remember the old phone booths when you could make a call for a dime or a quarter.
I also remember the old brown phone booths when you came off the Western L at western and Eastwood and going past them to go to the restaurant that had a back door to get in.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Phone Booths
Posted by: 222psm (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: August 25, 2010 07:01PM

We had phone booths on Montrose between Richmond and Sacramento next to the milk vending machine.

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell (63.226.79.---)
Date: August 26, 2010 06:07PM

Every now and then you'll run across an old phone booth in out-of-the-way places like diners and dive bars. Gianinni's Tavern (later the Tiny Lounge on Addison, now gone) had a wooden one next to the jukebox, and DePaul's Lewis Building had the tandem wooden ones (complete with outdated phone books) in some less-traveled hallways.

AD:

Posted by: Rustymuscle (---.lightspeed.elgnil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 27, 2010 01:09PM

A wonderful topic!

Many years ago I collected and sold phone booths. The phone company would give them to a "junk" phone booth dealer in West Chicago who would sell the booths and parts. This is many years ago, but I was able to procure 1930s style booths from him for a case of Olympia beer. I would then sell the booths via the Chicago Tribune.

The booths mostly seen today are the more streamlined wood versions from the 1950s. The really old ones from the 1930s and earlier are very hard to find in complete condition. The one I know of still in existence is at Del Rhea's Chicken Basket in Willowbrook. It's a 1930s model but the bi fold doors were long-ago removed. It appears now to be storage for baby chairs.

RM

AD:

Posted by: Chipast (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: September 27, 2010 02:52PM

There was one, Until I guess about a year ago at the old Sak's Ukrainian Village at 2301 W.Chicago. But I guess when another restaurant/lounge took over, That may have disappeared as well.

AD:

Date: October 01, 2010 06:52PM

The Lasalle Hotel parking garage, which was demolished about 5 years ago (it was at about 225 W. Washington) had three beautiful 1930s booths. I hope they found a nice home. Also, Bruna's, on Oakley used to have a 1950s booth at the entrance. Haven't been there in years to see if it is still there.

I was fortunate to have seen two very early "single door" oak booths at the old Star Hotel on west Madison. These would have been there since the early 1900s. No idea where they ended up when the skid row hotel was demolished.

AD:

Posted by: Fscott (198.161.141.---)
Date: January 04, 2015 10:18PM

My grandfather had one with a false, spring loaded, back wall that opened into a speakeasy. This was in Bridgeport.
I posted more on this under speakeasy

AD:

Posted by: Cragin Spring (---.dhcp.ftbg.wi.charter.com)
Date: February 12, 2015 08:24PM

I can remember in the Loop at many busy intersections like Jackson & State St., the corners had 4-5 telephone booths on at least 2 of the corners. Now there is 20 cell phones on every corner.

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 13, 2015 01:06AM

I just remembered that there was one inside the Healthy Food Restaurant on Halsted before Gina retired. In fact, if that storefront is still vacant, the phone booth might still be in there.

AD:

Posted by: the_mogra (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: April 15, 2015 02:49PM

near the back of an independant drug-store (name forgotten) in the 4100 block of North Ave (just west of the old Tiffin theatre) I remember a whole bank of phone booths. This is '60s & '70s, and somehow whenever I felt like making a call from a payphone then I usually chose to go there and use those. not being a cellphone user myself I still use payphones although now I have the devil of a time finding one in working condition

AD:

Date: April 15, 2015 02:53PM

There are still two 1950s booths at Iwan Ries on Wabash.

AD:

Posted by: the_mogra (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: April 16, 2015 12:29PM

if ever I were to own a store, it would have a payphone, no question (just sayin')

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact