Rural Chicago

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Rural Chicago
Posted by: jsk1983 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 10, 2008 03:28AM

I was skimming over Chicago on Google Maps and noticed that at about 13400 S and 400-900 E (just north of the Little Calumet River) there were several streets which looked to possibly not be paved, were very narrow, and very sparsely populated. Some appeared on Google Streetview though the streets seem not to appear on a paper map of Chicago I have (Spring 2007 Chicago Bike Map). Anyways anyone know whats up with this area? I find it suprising that an area within the city could remain so rural when the suburbs stretchg for a good 6o miles from the loop.

Also anyone know what the most rural area within the city is? Any operating farms? Thanks for any help.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Rural Chicago
Posted by: tomcat630 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 10, 2008 05:39AM

The last operating farm in the city was turned into the Agricultual School in early 80's. It's on south side of 111th st between Pulaksi and Hamlin.

I'd also say the Lake Calumet area on SE side is most, maybe only rural part.

Up until the early 70's the far NW "O'hare neighborhood" around Bryn Mawr/Foster and Cumberland/East River Rd was rural, with some cornfields and Evelyn Lane had secluded ranch houses. All long gone with high rises, condos, and 3 flats bunched together now.

AD:

Posted by: paw (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2008 12:54PM

The only trailer park is in the far southeast side I think.

AD:

Posted by: tomcat630 (---.careered.com)
Date: March 10, 2008 05:05PM

For a long time, the far NW side areas of Dunning, Norwoord Park and Ohare had side streets with no curbs or sewers. They were called WPA roads and were finally updated in 70s and 80s, now all citified.

AD:

Posted by: Jacob (---.arm-bsr1.chi-arm.il.cable.rcn.com)
Date: March 10, 2008 10:41PM

There is indeed a trailer park in Hegewisch on the far Southeast side, but it is currently abandoned and due to be redeveloped with new housing. I can't think of another one.

--
Jacob Kaplan - Editor
Forgotten Chicago

AD:

Posted by: Serhii (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 11, 2008 03:04AM

I've never been back there, but judging from streetview images, I'd say that whole area between 134th and the river is about as rural as it gets within city limits.
Good find!

AD:

Posted by: tomcat630 (---.careered.com)
Date: March 11, 2008 02:24PM

correction, I meant the Wolf Lake area. I drove down there years ago, an it was like being in Wisconsin.

AD:

Date: March 11, 2008 05:59PM

I found this post about rural Chicago and the Hegeswich Lake Calumet area on SkyscraperCity. Unfortunately the pictures are no longer there.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=264194

AD:

Date: March 12, 2008 01:11PM

Twilight zone on 134th and it's just that street especially.

AD:

Date: March 12, 2008 04:43PM

paw Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Twilight zone on 134th and it's just that street
> especially.

what do you mean by twilight zone?

AD:

Date: March 12, 2008 07:05PM

weird out of place etc.

AD:

Date: March 12, 2008 08:26PM

I assumed that it was a reference to that, I'll have to check that area out when it warms up a bit. Reminds me of an area south of Buffalo along Lake Erie, the area was developed as a cottage community back in the '40s or so, but the area has largely fallen out of favor as a resort area, and now is more inhabited by year-round residents.

AD:

Date: March 12, 2008 08:32PM

yeah the roads alone and vegetation.

AD:

Date: March 12, 2008 09:57PM

^You saw E 134 Place and S. Corliss, right? These run off of 134 st. There are a few other streets like this but they don't show up on Google maps. I'm wondering if these are public streets, they may not even be paved.

AD:

Posted by: hipoldguy (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: March 12, 2008 11:03PM

Hegeswich feels like a small town in Indiana. Check out the tavern near the South Shore rail station, it has a railroad theme.

AD:

Posted by: celticjunker1 (76.29.96.---)
Date: April 08, 2008 05:17AM

Is the "twilight zone" the trailer park? Just a little further some of the Leopold/Loeb occurred. In fact they don't really know for sure where they took that kid that day in it's totallity. Those two had some pretty strange ideas (actually brilliant) of constantly changing their stories and sequence of events that first day. Only one detective in that cast of thousands took actual somewhat verbatim notes. The rest were sketching their foreheads and asking for autographs.

AD:

Posted by: paw (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 08, 2008 12:04PM

No the trailer park is further east. This is just a reidential area that looks like a small country town.

AD:

Posted by: mp775 (---.ch2m.com)
Date: April 16, 2008 07:47PM

jsk1983 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > Also anyone know what the most rural area within
> the city is? Any operating farms? Thanks for any
> help.

There are operating farms in the city, but not in rural areas. There's Citifarm near Cabrini-Green, and Green Youth Farm operates a site near Ogden & Central Park in North Lawndale. There's supposed to be a much bigger farm development coming to North Lawndale soon, too.

AD:

Posted by: curtis (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: April 21, 2008 04:29PM

This area north of the Little Calumet River (and south of Altgeld Gardens) in the community area of Riverdale was once the Jon Ton farm and a stop on the historic Underground Railroad. Community farming continues today along 134th Place, and visitors can occasionally spy a vintage red tractor tilling the land!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/86125374@N00/2193760777/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/86125374@N00/2339080637/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/86125374@N00/2280325226/

AD:

Posted by: Jeff_Weiner (---.sub-70-194-75.myvzw.com)
Date: January 30, 2016 12:26AM

Spooky! I wonder if the parcels are large enough to keep a cow?

AD:

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact