Supermarkets Now Gone

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: Supermarkets Now Gone
Posted by: Rustymuscle (---.lightspeed.elgnil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 02, 2012 11:41AM

Some more store photos, all National Tea...

3112 W. Armitage, 1958...

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/52922702@N03/6800307522/] [/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/52922702@N03/6800307522/]3112warmitage14jan1958[/url] by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/52922702@N03/]Rustymuscle[/url], on Flickr

108th and Halsted, 1957...

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/52922702@N03/6946413861/] [/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/52922702@N03/6946413861/]108thhalstad1957[/url] by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/52922702@N03/]Rustymuscle[/url], on Flickr

1957, somewhere on North Harlem. Interesting, looks like a new innovation, vending machines outside the store...

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/52922702@N03/6800306788/] [/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/52922702@N03/6800306788/]10aug1957castellanonationaltea[/url] by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/52922702@N03/]Rustymuscle[/url], on Flickr

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 02, 2012 11:54PM

There was a National Food Store on Milwaukee Avenue, north of California Avenue on the south side of the street. Right across the street from Max Gerber Plumbing Supply which I believe is now gone. The National Food building is still there and operating as Dearborn Wholesale Foods now.

AD:

Posted by: jpers36 (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 03, 2012 12:15AM

I'm pretty sure the Dearborn Wholesale is abandoned as well. The SE entrance/overhang area is home to a homeless man who's there every time I drive past. You can even see him on Google Street View.

AD:

Posted by: Chipast (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 03, 2012 11:45AM

WOW!!!. They should have NEVER demolished many of those hotels. Now much of the homeless & destitute are popping up in areas or locations that they shouldn't use as such.

AD:

Posted by: naveedavee (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: March 03, 2012 10:43PM

I grew up on the southwest side of Chicago, and remember an A & P next to the shopper's world/community family center near Midway, which is now a parking lot for the airport. There was also a Jewel at the corner of 55th and Keeler. I also seem to recall a Jewel on Archer near Narragansett which turned into the "in the round" dinner playhouse. Also, a National on 63rd street west of Central, and another Jewel at 63rd and Narragansett in the park shops center, which is now a stop and shop. I remember my grandparents going to a "courtesy foods" on the near north side, maybe on Grand? Didn't Ford City Mall also have a National Tea attached to it in the beginning? It's funny the things and places you can remember from the ancient past!

AD:

Posted by: naveedavee (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: March 03, 2012 10:47PM

Oh and remembered a couple more... a Hillman's on Pulaski north of 47th st, and a kroger on pulaski around 58th st, anyone recall any more?

AD:

Date: March 03, 2012 11:05PM

Wasn't there one on W.48th nr Ashland?.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2012 10:02AM by Chipast.

AD:

Posted by: Mornac (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: March 04, 2012 12:07AM

davey7 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great pics Rusty! I think the Eagle is still there
> as the fabric store (or is it the "Chicago's
> Discount Cleaners/Walgreen's" building just to the
> north which that canopy implies. Or is it where
> the current Dominick's is?
>
> Not quite in the same league, but Michael's Fresh
> Market in Kenwood just closed- we can record it
> here now for all times posterity!

Rustymuscle Wrote:
> I believe the Eagle is now a Dominicks. Other
> stores/buildings are gone.

The Eagle in the photo became a Dominick's in the mid '60's. I worked there from '73 until it closed in the late '70's to make way for the big modern Dominick's that stands there today. Previous to being a grocery store, that building was a taxicab garage. The sales floor went from front to back and there was almost no back room at all. All the stock was upstairs. When I first worked there, things were moved up and down by conveyor belt. By '74 an industrial elevator was installed. Aside from our backstock, the upstairs was largely empty. There was a drive-up ramp that we had no use for and you could still see numbers painted on the walls were taxicab stalls had been. If you wandered further toward the front of the building up there, you came upon some old offices with clutter thrown about and even a condemned stairway that had once led down to an exit on Broadway. There wasn't any electricity in that part of the building so not many were inclined to explore it.

The buildings to the north in the photo were leveled a few years later and a Volkswagon dealership occupied the lot. Beyond that was Midwest Carpet which eventually became the fabric store. The next thing north of that was a Kroger (mentioned earlier in this thread) that became a Dominick's after Kroger sold out to them around 1969. Our neighborhood had the curious distinction of having two Dominick's operating within a block and a half of each other. The "little Dominick's" closed after the new modern Dominick's reopened at 6009. It became the "Chicago Discount Cleaners/Walgreens" that davey7 mentioned and it's still that today.

AD:

Posted by: chitownlioness (---.hlrn.qwest.net)
Date: March 04, 2012 12:15AM

I remember the Jewel on Broadway near berwyn ave. there was a Dominicks right on the same street. I love my hometown of chicago I miss everything about it. The lake I miss the most and all the restaurants and the public transportation I'm here in denver and their public transportation is hooribe.

AD:

Posted by: davey7 (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 06, 2012 06:17PM

Mornac - that sounds kinda like the Jewel in Lakeview (on B'way just south of Addison).

Chitownlioness - the Jewel's still there (and there's a new [rebuilt] Dominick's at Sheridan and Foster).

AD:

Posted by: shekaago (70.58.230.---)
Date: March 06, 2012 08:03PM

In Dunning/Schorsch Village there was a National (now an empty banquet hall) at 6725 W. Belmont Avenue and a Jewel at 6850 W. Belmont (now Avenue Food Mart). My family lived closer to National but for some reason my mom preferred Jewel so she and I would walk down to "The Jewel" and haul our groceries back home in a wheeled wire shopping basket. :-)

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 08, 2012 06:04PM

At 6725 West Belmont, that was the Golden Fawn Banquet Hall. I remembered when it opened it was a nice hall. I went there a couple of times for weddings. I also remembered helping my mom carry groceries home in the wire shopping cart from the the store. The winters were the worst.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2012 06:07PM by rjmachon.

AD:

Posted by: jak378 (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 09, 2012 11:49AM

The talk about carrying groceries home reminded me that the A & P store that was in the 5500 block of south Ashland in the 50's had a delivery service. Women could shop, and leave the groceries with a clerk and they would be delivered soon after. I think mostly by high school kids bringing them in the grocery cart. I'm also pretty sure that they worked only for tips, but were in some way approved by the store manager.

AD:

Date: March 09, 2012 12:55PM

What WAS that supermarket at 48th nr Ashland?????????.

AD:

Posted by: Berwyn Frank (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 09, 2012 01:23PM

jak378 Wrote:
> The talk about carrying groceries home reminded me
> that the A & P store that was in the 5500 block of
> south Ashland in the 50's had a delivery service.
> Women could shop, and leave the groceries with a
> clerk and they would be delivered soon after. I
> think mostly by high school kids bringing them in
> the grocery cart. I'm also pretty sure that they
> worked only for tips, but were in some way
> approved by the store manager.

WOW jak! My father did this around 1960 for the A&P on Madison St. near Pulaski. He was just a 10 year old kid and waited in a line with other kids for his turn. He had to wear a white shirt and a little tie in order to be allowed to represent the store!

AD:

Posted by: jak378 (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 09, 2012 06:50PM

My mother never shopped at supermarkets much, but I remember that my best friend's mother did. She would walk from around 57th and Hermitage to the A & P on Ashland. After an hour or two she would be home and soon after that the groceries would show up. I'm pretty sure that you had to be at least in high school at that time. I was not so I never did it. I do remember that the delivery boys were neatly dressed.

AD:

Posted by: Berwyn Frank (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 09, 2012 07:11PM

My dad was definitely 10-12 years old. He even remembered the store managers name! He said that they stood in a single file line and when the customers exited the store he asked if they needed help with their groceries. The customers that did would either have the boy take them to their cars and load them up or push the carts to the customer's building in the neighborhood. My father told me he remembered carrying some peoples grocery bags up three flights of stairs.

AD:

Posted by: davey7 (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 09, 2012 07:14PM

A lot of stores on the lakefront still offer delivery today - more people without cars and elderly who expect SERVICE with all caps.

AD:

Posted by: tomcat630 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 12, 2012 03:50AM

The Certified grocery at Irving Park and Mason had teenagers delivering in a Chevy wagon. They drove somewhat recklessly and their cars always had dents.

Now, stores probably have adult drivers not 'showing off' in the streets.

AD:

Posted by: Kchi (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: March 12, 2012 01:49PM

Does anybody know what supermarket was located in the building now occupied by Happy Foods at Central and Devon?

AD:

Current Page: 4 of 6

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact