Supermarkets Now Gone

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: Supermarkets Now Gone
Posted by: johncobb (---.dps.state.ny.us)
Date: December 21, 2010 10:50AM

There was a supermarket next to Goldblatt's on Belmont (Lincoln/Belmont/Ashland) - can't remember the name - but they had those S&H Greenstamps...

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Posted by: Chipast (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: December 22, 2010 05:49PM

That was a National Supermarket.

AD:

Posted by: SuperCFL (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: December 22, 2010 08:58PM

The "New Apollo" building actually started out as an early movie theater, somewhere in the 1910-1915 era. It closed during the Depression.

Artista Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> the "NEW*APOLLO" at 1536 N. Pulaski. When i was a
> boy, Mom sent me out to the Apollo for milk many
> many many many many times ,,lol. The building is
> still there with the original store's name
> inscribed at the top Check it out on Google.
> http://maps.google.com/maps?q=pulaski%20and%20nort
> h&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=f
> irefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wl

AD:

Posted by: adgorn (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 29, 2010 12:51PM

I didn't see any mention of old Kroger's locations. I believe there was one where the Walgreen's is now on Marine Dr. at about 4600 N.

AD:

Posted by: HOLTANEK (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 24, 2011 08:06PM

Growing up in Norridge, there was a Jewel store at Irving & Oriole, and a half block west there was a Grocerland. Obviously, back in the day, there was enough of a local customer base to keep both in business. We used to grab the empty returnable bottles from the rack outside Jewels and cash them in at Grocerland. It's interesting how back then the shoppers were usually neighborhood folks who usually walked to their local grocers. Then came cars for everyone and mega-grocers. Just a thought.

AD:

Posted by: Mornac (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 25, 2011 01:58AM

adgorn Wrote:
> I didn't see any mention of old Kroger's
> locations.

We had a Kroger in our neighborhood on Broadway a little south of Granville. When Dominick's bought the local Krogers and converted them into Dominick's, that particular one suffered the irony of being a half block away from an already esatblished Dominick's (which was the result of Dominick's buying out the local Eagle stores a few years earlier). Amazingly, the little Kroger/Dominick's lived happily alongside its big brother for about ten years until the big one was razed to make way for a modern Dominick's in the late 70's.

AD:

Posted by: PKDickman (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 25, 2011 04:03PM

HOLTANEK Wrote:
> Growing up in Norridge, there was a Jewel store at
> Irving & Oriole, and a half block west there was a
> Grocerland. Obviously, back in the day, there was
> enough of a local customer base to keep both in
> business. We used to grab the empty returnable
> bottles from the rack outside Jewels and cash them
> in at Grocerland. It's interesting how back then
> the shoppers were usually neighborhood folks who
> usually walked to their local grocers. Then came
> cars for everyone and mega-grocers. Just a
> thought.

You also had a Kroger up on Lawrence & Ozanam. My uncle Pete lived right behind it on Giddings.

Back in Northlake, we used to have a Jewel on one side of the street and a National on the other.

Whichever on had the sale on milk got our business for that week.

AD:

Posted by: zorchvalve (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: October 26, 2011 03:37PM

Fleurblue, Of the few that I remember were the Jewel on halsted just north of dickens on the east side of the street, the A&P on north ave just west of halsted and the delfarm on north ave. just east of larabee on the south side of the street.

AD:

Posted by: annabelle2342 (---.c3-0.frg-ubr2.chi-frg.il.cable.rcn.com)
Date: November 03, 2011 02:36AM

[quote=adgorn]I didn't see any mention of old Kroger's locations.
[/quote]

For some reason, Kroger has not yet gone big in the Chicago market. They do operate a few stores in the area, but not with the Kroger name. They are apparently testing the local market reception in strategic locations under the name “Food4Less” (which carries the Kroger house brands). The Food4Less stores that I have visited are indeed quite impressive and feature huge selection at great prices. If this is their model for a future Chicago invasion, I am 100% in favor of Kroger becoming the dominant Chicago supermarket chain.
As for the potential threat to our sentimental favorites: Jewel and Dominick’s… Who cares?? These companies stopped being “local” when Jewel was purchased by the Albertson corporation in 1999, and the "Owners Service Company" (Osco Drug) division was sold to “Consumer Value Stores” (CVS Pharmacy), and Dom DiMatteo’s “Dominick’s” was acquired by Safeway in 1998.
Dominick’s new owner experimented with a big-bulk store concept called “Omni Superstore”, but the chain soon failed at about the same time that the new owner of Jewel tried a similar concept called “Cub Foods”.
If these new companies (which have kept the old names only for PR reasons), cannot compete with the Kroger chain, it doesn’t mean that we will all starve – it just might mean that efficiencies of scale and distribution will make nutrition available to more people.
Of course, there will always be the “upscale” markets, like “Whole Foods”, for the person who thinks that paying more for a tomato, somehow makes it a better tomato. And there will always exist the neighborhood produce markets, for those who have the sense to know what a tomato is really worth.

AD:

Posted by: Elaine W (192.175.17.---)
Date: November 04, 2011 06:36PM

Actually, Kroger used to be in the Chicago area (and under the name "Kroger"). For whatever reason, Kroger left the Chicago market sometime in the late 1960's or early 1970's. I seem to recall a couple of grocery stores, one of which might have been a Kroger, on the north side of East Hyde Park Blvd (51st St.) at Lake Park Ave., where Kenwood High School is now located. The buildings were demolished (I think around 1965) to make way for the high school, but the stores did not relocate anywhere else in the neighborhood.

AD:

Posted by: adgorn (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 04, 2011 07:15PM

Actually that was my point. Kroger was in Chicago back in the 20s and into the 70s as Elaine said. I found this

from an ad in the Tribune Feb 21, 1968. I remember the Marine Drive location.

AD:

Posted by: querencia (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 06, 2011 12:22AM

There was an A&P on E 55th Street near St Thomas' Church. On 63rd St there was a Hi-Lo that specialized in 10 cent items. I especially remember the Apple Bay applesauce, faintly pink and very appley-flavored, a dime a can, have never found another canned applesauce that good. Just off 63rd near University there was a Kroger. At 63rd and S Halsted the Sears store had a Hills supermarket in the basement.

What's weird is that so many people pass these sites now never knowing what once was there (like on the North Side where Broadway and N Sheridan come together now there are condos and people don't know that not so long ago there was a church there with a beautiful rose window). Knowing what used to be there AND NOW IT'S VANISHED is like remembering that you once visited Atlantis, an imaginary land at the bottom of the sea.

AD:

Posted by: caribiner23 (---.col.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 06, 2011 01:24AM

Jewel stopped being "local" in 1984 when it was purchased by American Stores. The Albertson acquisition happened later.

As adgorn points out, there were several Kroger Stores in the Chicago area. I grew up near the Kroger in the Mt. Prospect Plaza ("Rand and Central" above). It became a Dominick's in the 1970s when Kroger left the market.

I remember the A&P Food Store at Central & Elmhurst in Mt Prospect (now vacant), and the National Food Store at Rand just south of Euclid (now part of a Bally's Health Club), as well as a small National at Campbell and Wilke in Arlington Heights (now also a health club).

There was also a Hillman's grocery store in the Mt Prospect Plaza, at the opposite end of the center from the Kroger-- the Hillman's later became a Kohl's Food Store, which also disappeared from the market sometime in the early 1980s.

My favorite memories are of the small Jewel Stores that seemed to be all over the place: there was one [i]inside[/i] the Randhurst Mall as well as one on Camp McDonald and 83 in Prospect Heights. They were different shopping experiences before the mega-marts opened.

AD:

Posted by: justmacs06 (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: November 15, 2011 01:00AM

Miss EDMARS on chicago ave. about a block west of damen, now a Dominick’s

AD:

Posted by: jak378 (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: November 15, 2011 05:32PM

When I was growing u there was an A and P in the 5500 block of south Ashland avenue. It was actually 2 store fronts, perhaps 2000 square feet, certainly puny by today's standards. There was no parking lot because as someone else pointed out back then most shoppers walked to stores in the neighborhoos. In later years there was a Del Farm store in the 4500 block of South Kedzie. Del Farm, as I recall, was asubsideary of National, and had slightly lower prices and a smaller selection.

It seems as if Jewel has always been around, but I don't remember them any time before the 50's or so. When did they become such a presence in the Chicago area?

AD:

Posted by: HOLTANEK (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 15, 2011 05:59PM

I remember a radio blooper I heard years back. The announcer said" So, be sure to visit your local A and Poo Feed Store" HA! ( I guess ya had to be there...)

AD:

Posted by: wow1029 (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: February 27, 2012 02:17PM

remember the Scot-Lad food trucks? The ones with the Scotish guy on the sides.And how about Colony Foods south siders? One in Hometown & one was in Clearing.Not sure of any others

AD:

Posted by: Rustymuscle (---.lightspeed.elgnil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 27, 2012 07:30PM

A few photos of past grocery stores...

112th and Harlem, National Foods, 1960

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/52922702@N03/6790285890/] [/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/52922702@N03/6790285890/]112th&harlem15aug1960gasleak[/url] by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/52922702@N03/]Rustymuscle[/url], on Flickr

6009 N. Broadway, Eagle Foods, 1958

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/52922702@N03/6936377587/] [/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/52922702@N03/6936377587/]6009nbroadway15oct1958[/url] by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/52922702@N03/]Rustymuscle[/url], on Flickr

43rd and Pulaski, Hillman's Foods, 1952

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/52922702@N03/6936362117/] [/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/52922702@N03/6936362117/]hillmans43rd&pulaski12nov1952[/url] by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/52922702@N03/]Rustymuscle[/url], on Flickr

AD:

Posted by: davey7 (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 28, 2012 04:16PM

Great pics Rusty! I think the Eagle is still there as the fabric store (or is it the "Chicago's Discount Cleaners/Walgreen's" building just to the north which that canopy implies. Or is it where the current Dominick's is?

Not quite in the same league, but Michael's Fresh Market in Kenwood just closed- we can record it here now for all times posterity!

AD:

Posted by: Rustymuscle (---.lightspeed.elgnil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 29, 2012 02:47PM

I believe the Eagle is now a Dominicks. Other stores/buildings are gone.

AD:

Current Page: 3 of 6

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact