Supermarkets Now Gone

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: Supermarkets Now Gone
Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 13, 2012 04:17PM

I remember Happy Foods opening up back in the 1980's, but I do not remember what was there. For some reason Treasure Island comes to mind.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2012 04:24PM by rjmachon.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Posted by: tomcat630 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2012 01:10AM

I think Happy Foods was an A&P or National.

AD:

Date: March 20, 2012 03:05AM

Makes sense that it could be a National. They were closing up stores right about that time. By 1980 a trace could be found according to National Tea on the Encyclopedia of Chicago.

AD:

Date: March 20, 2012 03:12AM

Unless I miss it in this tread, was there any Kolhs Food stores around Chicago at any time? From what I read about Kolhs, they sold food first than became a department store. Is this correct?

AD:

Posted by: Chipast (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2012 12:21PM

Yes, During the 1970's we had some Kohl's supermarkets in Chicagoland. They actually bought out Mayflower groceries. And yes, Kohl's spunoff some department stores. The Kohl enterprise is actually a Milwaukee-area based business.

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 20, 2012 12:32PM

My folks shopped at the Kohl's on the corner of Kimball & Elston in the late 70s. It's now a Family Dollar.

AD:

Date: March 21, 2012 02:15AM

Kohls sold their IL grocery stores to Dominicks around 1980?

Store at Central and Addison was Mayflower, Kohl's Dominicks, then torn down a few years ago for one of many CVS's.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2012 02:16AM by tomcat630.

AD:

Posted by: WDH74 (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 21, 2012 03:06AM

You still see old Kohl's supermarket stores in Wisconsin, particularly around Milwaukee it seems. They have distinctive, round roofs.

AD:

Posted by: WDH74 (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 21, 2012 03:07AM

You still see old Kohl's supermarket stores in Wisconsin, particularly around Milwaukee it seems. They have distinctive, round roofs. I remember seeing one on my way to Road America, which was still a Kohl's of some sort till the mid 90's or so.

AD:

Date: March 22, 2012 08:09PM

Thanks everyone for the info on Kohl's. I knew I remembered seeing them around 1975 selling food.

AD:

Posted by: querencia (---.c3-0.snb-ubr1.chi-snb.il.cable.rcn.com)
Date: June 21, 2012 01:25AM

I have grateful memories of the HiLo in the 1950's because my husband was a student and we were on a very austere budget. HiLo featured hundreds of ten-cent items. I especially remember cans of mashed sweet potatoes and of a delicious faintly pink applesauce with a very apple-y flavor, brand was Apple Bay. Best canned applesauce I have ever found.

AD:

Date: June 26, 2012 02:15AM

There was a Hi-Lo Foods on Laramie near the Eisenhower in the late 60's. Also, on Gladys st near Laramie, were some mid-century era homes with blonde brick, as seen near Midway or O'Hare.

AD:

Date: June 26, 2012 02:15AM

There was a Hi-Lo Foods on Laramie near the Eisenhower in the late 60's. Also, on Gladys st near Laramie, were some mid-century era homes with blonde brick, as seen near Midway or O'Hare.

AD:

Posted by: locoengineer (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: July 15, 2012 09:16PM

Chipast Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What WAS that supermarket at 48th nr
> Ashland?????????.

A&P had a store on 48th between Ashland and Marshfield...

AD:

Posted by: ChiTownJim (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 05, 2012 09:14PM

I was visiting Chicago a few weeks ago from Rockford and it was my first time really in the city since a few years ago. It seems like a few of the Jewel stores I remember such as on Belmont and Pulaski and Belmont and Leclaire? were closed . Is Jewel shutting down in CHicago or was this just a coincidence that both of the ones I went by are closed?

AD:

Posted by: Mornac (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: August 07, 2012 11:49PM

I was just talking with a friend yesterday who works for Dominck's and he said that Jewel has been having some problems lately that are causing them to re-size. There's also a new chain moving into town called Meriano's (sp?) that's supposed to give the long-timers a run for the money. I think it's part of Roundy's out of Wisconsin.

AD:

Posted by: Kchi (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 08, 2012 11:51AM

There is a Mariano's under construction on Elston Ave. next to the Secretary Of State Motor Vehicle facility. I've seen a ad for one of the Mariano's already in Chicago. From the ad it looks like some form of hybrid, where I can not figure out who their target customer is. On one hand they sell Roundy's house brand products but also advertise more upscale prepared foods, wines and organic produce that you would think you would find at a Whole Foods or Trader Joes. Not something you would expect in a middle class bungalow neighborhood.

I find the whole supermarket marketing strategies interesting. Even though I live quite a distance, I receive mailers for Food 4 Less somewhere around North and Cicero. I would love to shop at their stores if there was one closer but this Kroger owned store from what I have seen, seems to target what they consider lower income shoppers. For years in my area, Jewel owned the market and treated us as a captive audience with the highest prices around. I don't know who would do their weekly shopping at my nearest Dominicks, they devote most of their floor space to a huge wine section, frozen foods, and deli counters. They obviously feel their target customer are those who don't mind paying more for convenience and accept a limited selection on the basics. Dominicks everyday prices are even higher than Jewel. This is very telling in the Walmart commercials comparing register tapes for identical products. Unfortunately once again in this area the closest Walmart although they carry some groceries was never built as a combo grocery store and for whatever reason< I am not aware of any Sam's clubs being located anywhere closer to the city on the NW side other than the suburbs.

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 (216.81.94.---)
Date: August 08, 2012 05:32PM

There was also a Thompsons on Irving Park Road, just west of Harlem Avenue, on the north side of the street. Went there for years for milk and ice cream. It closed before their flagship store in Park Ridge was torn down for yet another Walgreens. Our local store was Sally's Certified, on the corner of New England and Addison, which eventually became R & B Finer Foods. The brothers, Rocco and Benny, gave up the ghost about five or six years ago. The store opened for a short while as small local store but only lasted a few months. Avenue Foods, on Belmont, opened as the "new" Jewel back in the 1960's, as the old Jewel was on the north side of Belmont between Rutherford and Normandy before that. Jewel built the new store to compete with the "new" National that was on the south side of Belmont between Natoma and Normandy, which eventually became a banquet hall, now torn down for condos. I remember stopping at the Kroger on Central near Fullerton that is now Tony's, and someone mentioned the Mayflower Stores that were at Addison & Central and on Elston. There was another on Harlem Avenue, in the former shopping center where the Burlington Coat Factory is now located. There was a large membership discount store that opened up there, called CMA or Consumer Marts of America, and the north side of the store was a Mayflower. CMA eventually closed down (hits of organized crime connections) and was replaced by a Community Discount Store, and the Mayflower became Kohl's Mayflower, as did the one at Addison and Central. The whole CMA/Mayflower complex was torn down and replaced with the current shopping center in the 1970's, while Dominick's took over the Kohl's at Addison & Central. In my grandmother's neighborhood, the Cermak Produce at Kostner and Armitage was originally opened as a National Tea Store, which was previously located further east on the south side of Armitage around Tripp Ave. It later became a Butera, then eventually a Cermak Produce.
Arista mentioned she lived on Harding, and there used to be one of the most interesting stores in the city on the 1500 block of North Harding. There was a Russian bookstore, called M. Dolgich Bookstore, and as I was studying Russian in college, it was a wonderful place to drop into. He had all kinds of books as well as records, foods, and other Russian stuff. It was a trip into another world.

AD:

Posted by: Jeff_Weiner (---.sub-75-207-7.myvzw.com)
Date: March 01, 2013 06:01PM

The Jewel at Pulaski and Belmont was closed after a shooting there. We used to live not too far away on Springfield and shopped there. There was also an A&P right next to our building, at Springfield and Milwaukee: it closed in the mid-80's.

Speaking of Hillman's, I remember their little shop in the basement of the old State St. Sears store. My mother would stop there for a few things after my sister finished her ballet lessons at the Chicago Musical College in Roosevelt University on Saturdays. She especially like their selection of cold cuts.

AD:

Posted by: snappytom (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 18, 2013 11:17PM

Kchi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does anybody know what supermarket was located in
> the building now occupied by Happy Foods at
> Central and Devon?

That was a Dominicks before becoming Happy Foods.

Anyone remember Peterson's ? It was around the corner from Happy Foods on Devon next to the railroad tracks. I think it is Edgebrook Hardware now.

AD:

Current Page: 5 of 6

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact