Coffee Houses

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Coffee Houses
Posted by: fleurblue (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 22, 2010 11:41PM

Does anyone remember the name of the coffee houses that proliferated in the '70s? I remember there was one near Loyola U. and one on north Harlem Ave.

They served non-alcoholic beverages and snacks and you sat on pillows on the floor. It seemed that they had great bookings too.

I think I saw Steve Goodman perform one time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2010 11:44PM by fleurblue.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Coffee Houses
Posted by: shoreline (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 23, 2010 12:34AM

Fleurblue,
The place you're thinking of next to the Loyola L station is "Its Here". The few blocks along Sheridan near Loyola was a corridor of activity. Also, we had the "No Exit Cafe" a bit further north at Lunt and Glenwood Aves as well. You're correct, a huge number existed during the 70s.I think these places had both folk and rock bands. You were lucky to see Steve Goodman before his early passing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2010 12:39AM by shoreline.

AD:

Posted by: fleurblue (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 25, 2010 11:27PM

Thanks Shoreline. That's it! Great places to go before you were of legal drinking age. Yes, I remember Goodman and many other performers who may have started out playing in those places.

I recall the place on Harlem had Sunday afternoon performances. Can't remember the name.

AD:

Date: April 26, 2010 05:30PM

The fb pages reminded me of a place in Old Town that I had long forgotten called Like Young. In addition, I remember seeing John Prine at a no liquor establishment in the early 70s known as the Main in Evanston at Main St and Chicago Ave.
Haven't found the name of The Harlem Ave club as yet.

AD:

Posted by: johncobb (---.dps.state.ny.us)
Date: December 21, 2010 11:06AM

My church had a Coffee House at 1529 N Wells in Old Town - we called it "J's Place" at one point...

AD:

Posted by: tseals (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 24, 2010 03:57PM

A little off the topic- but near Loyola U, there were music clubs_= HUEY's (upstairs) & Minstrels. Further north near Howard St. was a blues /rock club on the N/W corner. I forgot the name. When I was playing in bands, we played all of these clubs. In the late 70's.

AD:

Date: January 04, 2011 11:12AM

tseals,
You are probably thinking of Biddy Mulligans located on Sheridan Rd back in the 70s. The club was hugely popular and did a lot of radio advertising on stations like WXRT.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact