New Book On Chicago's Little Village Lawndale-Crawford Released!

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: New Book On Chicago's Little Village Lawndale-Crawford Released!
Posted by: alex2437 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 26, 2010 02:08PM

Everyone would be happy to meet you since the whole family is buzzing about this book since we got your postcard. My brother in law has been restoring the home for years since past owners converted it for apartment use but he's been slowly tearing down drywall and restoring some of the beautiful carpentry and details in the woodwork

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Posted by: Berwyn Frank (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 26, 2010 04:57PM

Wow, that is so great to hear Alex! I had noticed that there was recent restoration work done to the building. He must be good at restoring wood because the front door looks gorgeous and I love what he did with the columns on the front porch! I would love to meet everyone and sign their book(s). Let me know by private message if you guys are interested in that. Also, if you have neighbors that might be interested in the book be sure to tell them about it. I also sent a postcard to the old Anton Cermak residence at 2348 S. Millard

AD:

Posted by: alex2437 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 26, 2010 05:10PM

I knew it! That house is so beautiful, I figured it belonged to Cermak when I found out he also lived on the block. I will send you a private message as soon as I tell the family about this

AD:

Date: April 26, 2010 05:47PM

Yes Alex, in the book there is an image of a crowd in front of Cermak's house on Millard after he was assasinated. There is also a vintage image from 1910 of your block on page 32 where you can just make out your house on the far right of the image. At the end of the book on page 120 where I cover the neighborhood as it is today, I have a modern shot I took of your house with a caption totally devoted to the house.

AD:

Date: April 27, 2010 03:13AM

I have had a few people tell me that they could not find my book at Borders or Barnes and Noble. For some reason some have it and some don't. Remember it is for sale at Amazon.com for cheaper then both of those stores with no taxes or shipping with purchases over $25.

http://www.amazon.com/Chicagos-Little-Village-Lawndale-Crawford-America/dp/0738577375/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1272345037&sr=1-1

AD:

Posted by: 222psm (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: April 28, 2010 11:24AM

I got my book last Wednesday, I could not put it down! Berwyn Frank thank you so much for all those wonderful photos! It's almost like I could step into them and walk down those planked sidewalks, go into the shops, be in those homes!

I know it sounds silly, but that's the feeling I got, it's almost like being there.
I did learn a bunch of things I did not know, for example, that Anton Cermak was born in the Czech Republic. I knew he was of Czech descent, but not that he was born there.

AD:

Posted by: daveg (130.36.62.---)
Date: April 28, 2010 11:41AM

222psm -

I had similar feelings reading the book and looking at the pictures.

Whew, so I'm not alone on this one !! ;-)

AD:

Date: April 28, 2010 05:33PM

Thank's guys!

222psm, yes Cermak was born in what is now the Czech Republic. Here is an incredibly ironic story about Cermak and Berwyn's Mayor Frank Novotny. Cermak was born in a city in the old country called Kladno which was known for it's mining industry. After the Cermak family immigrated to Chicago they relocated to Coal City Illinois, where many other Bohemians had moved to, so Cermak's father could work in the mining industry as he did back home. As a boy in Coal City, Anton Cermak became friends with another Bohemian boy named Frank Novotny. Well, both families eventually moved back to Chicago where Cermak and Novotny got involved in politics. Both Cermak and Novotny were elected mayor's of their cities in April 1931. Anton Cermak was assassinated in March 1933 while in office and Frank Novotny died in a car crash in January 1934 also while still in office.

Here are the two men in this rare 1933 World's Fair photograph that came directly from mayor Novotny's personal scrap book that is in the archives of the Berwyn Historical Society. Anton Cermak is in the center and Frank Novotny is to his left. I used this picture when I assembled the history for the City of Berwyn for our centennial.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2010 07:18PM by Berwyn Frank.

AD:

Date: May 14, 2010 01:58AM

Just in case anyone is interested, amazon.com added the "look inside" feature to my book. This is a great way to get a preview before buying the book.

http://www.amazon.com/Chicagos-Little-Village-Lawndale-Crawford-America/dp/0738577375/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1273809262&sr=8-1

AD:

Posted by: daveg (---.lightspeed.joltil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 18, 2010 10:10PM

My mother-in-law was in town for a visit this past weekend. I had sent her the book when it was first published.

She was very impressed with the pictures, history and stories told in the book. I heard "I didn't know that" several times.

She gave it a thumbs up.

AD:

Date: May 19, 2010 03:17PM

Thanks for the nice comments Dave.

If you have not picked up the book yet, I am doing a book signing on May 29th. This is NOT a discussion with a power point presentation and all, I am doing that at the Berwyn Public Library on October 2nd. This is going to be a smaller and more personal setting where I can meet people and sign their books. Books will also be available for purchase. Ths details are below.

You're specially invited to attend a book signing event at Serendipity Antiques, Gifts & Home Accents!
Come in and meet Frank Magallon, Author of the newly released Chicago's Little Village: Lawndale-Crawford book.

On Saturday, May 29, from Noon to 5:00 p.m. Mr. Magallon will be personally autographing his book at Serendipity at 6733 Stanley, Berwyn, 708-795-6733.

At $21.99 these books are the perfect gift! Don't forget Father's Day is right around the corner on June 20! Or, think ahead for birthday's and yes, even Christmas!

Please scroll down for more information on Mr. Magallon's book below. Hope to see you soon!

Book Description:
Little Village has been known by several names over the past 140 years, but its rich culture and history have never been forgotten. Situated on Chicago’s southwest side, Little Village has gone from real estate promoters Millard and Decker’s affluent “suburb” Lawndale to one of the largest Bohemian enclaves in the United States. This vibrant neighborhood is known today as the largest Mexican community in the state of Illinois. Little Village has almost always been a working-class immigrant neighborhood filled with hardworking men and women who want their piece of the American dream. From residents such as martyred Chicago mayor Anton Cermak to the typical immigrant family next door, these strong-willed people have made their mark on Chicago and the rest of the world.

Author Bio: Frank S. Magallon is a historian concentrating on the suburbs of Berwyn, Cicero, and the Czech neighborhoods of Chicago. He is an avid collector of rare photographs and memorabilia from these areas and shares many never-before-seen images in this book. Magallon's connection to Little Village spans nearly three-quarters of a century with his father's and mother's families residing within the community.

AD:

Date: May 29, 2010 01:34PM

Bump, see above.

AD:

Date: September 15, 2010 02:23PM

I am having a discussion about my book with slides at the Berwyn Public Library on Saturday October 2nd. I would love to meet you and sign your books. See you there!

Discussion on Chicago's Little Village Lawndale-Crawford.

When?
[b]Saturday October 2nd, 2010 2:00pm[/b]

Where?
[b]Berwyn Public Library
2701 S. Harlem Ave.
Berwyn, IL 60402

708-795-8000[/b]

AD:

Posted by: adgorn (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 16, 2010 12:56AM

Just finished reading it. Very enjoyable. I am a northsider transplanted to the western suburbs and thus have been driving Ogden for the past several years on voyages back the the city. Your book has added a great deal to my understanding of the area. Since I pass the spot on every trip, I really enjoyed learning about the old Orvis mansion location. Intend to venture down Millard on next trip!

AD:

Posted by: Chipast (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: September 25, 2010 12:30AM

On S.Kildare there was once a place which had an 1960's S&H Green Stamps plastic neon sign, What was that place?. Plus was there an old-line gas station on 2800 S. St.Louis?.

AD:

Date: September 25, 2010 06:59PM

I don't know about a gas station on 28th & St. Louis, but there is an old non operation gas station on 27th & Lawndale that still has the old Sunoco sign displayed. When did Sunoco stop operating in Chicago? 1980s?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=2800+s+st+louis+chicago&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=63.215425,134.912109&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=2800+S+St+Louis+Ave,+Chicago,+Cook,+Illinois+60623&ll=41.842535,-87.717193&spn=0,0.016469&z=17&layer=c&cbll=41.842529,-87.71735&panoid=pb34BZgcIZZBVMdOLXaReg&cbp=12,211.72,,0,-2.86

AD:

Posted by: daveg (---.lightspeed.joltil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 26, 2010 10:51AM

Having lived on 24th and St. Louis back in the 50s, I don't recall a gas station on 28th, but I may have not biked around that area much (no friends or parks near) or paid much attention if I did. It was kinda odd to see a gas station on a side street, but I know they existed. Taverns and grocery stores, yes. Gas stations, not so much.

The Sunoco service station on 27th and Lawndale:

http://www.manta.com/c/mm3gt0c/gonzalez-service-station

I do remember the dial on the side of their gas pumps. Went up to 260 as I recall. We often joked about the dial. Was it connected to anything other than the price per gallon mechanism on the pump. (:P)

AD:

Date: September 27, 2010 06:33PM

The Sunoco station at Lawndale & 27th was also a Standard at one time, If I can recall. There was also an Arco (maybe Sinclair earlier) at Lawndale & 30th in 1976.

AD:

Date: September 27, 2010 07:44PM

There was also a barber shop on Komensky just north of 31st, An auto parts store south of 26th on Christiana. Anybody know what the names of the places were?.

AD:

Date: September 27, 2010 11:34PM

Ah, it's funny you bring up the barber shop! I was just talking with my dad about that place. I don't know what it was called but they still have the big metal or concrete poll on the corner from when my dad was a kid there (1960s)!

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=3100+s+komensky+chicago&sll=41.831144,-87.760098&sspn=0.007403,0.016469&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=3100+S+Komensky+Ave,+Chicago,+Cook,+Illinois+60623&ll=41.844261,-87.725573&spn=0,0.032938&z=16&layer=c&cbll=41.836881,-87.725554&panoid=z2tIkxjT09s2meUyLeE89w&cbp=12,332.15,,0,6.76

AD:

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact