'ELLIOTS DAIRY' CLOSING

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
'ELLIOTS DAIRY' CLOSING
Posted by: Artista (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 01, 2010 07:37PM

I had just stopped by this market at Gunnison and Nagle to pick up a few things only to find that they went out of business! How sad is that? I went there a few times last year. It was always enjoyable because it was very retro, like time had hardly touched it.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: 'ELLIOTS DAIRY' CLOSING
Posted by: liz (---.dsl.okcyok.swbell.net)
Date: April 01, 2010 09:54PM

Neighborhood deli closes after decades of service

March 25, 2010
By CRAIG A. WHITNEY cwhitney@pioneerlocal.com

After the doors closed for the last time, Elliott's Dairy and Deli in Harwood Heights thanked its loyal customers.

One of the owners, Steve Harbin, said the last day of business was March 17.

Elliott's Dairy, 4800 Nagle, Harwood Heights, closed March 17 after serving customers since 1967.

While working on after-closing matters March 22, Harbin said he did not want to blame everything on the economy.

"The neighborhood's kind of changing," he said. "There's Polish delis just about on every corner. Things were starting to get a little rough financially, and me and my partner both kind of put in too much of our own money, and it was a time where we had to say, 'This is it,' before we lost it all."

Harbin said the business had operated as Elliott's since 1967. It was under the name Swiss Dairy from the 1940s until the change.

"It kind of feels like a funeral," he said. "It's one of the hardest decisions that I've ever had to make -- closing the doors and saying goodbye to a lot of old friends, employees, as well as customers."

Harbin said his and his partner's families, all of the roughly 50 employees, and people from the neighborhood came in March 18 to take one last look at the place.

AD:

Posted by: the_mel (---.arm-bsr1.chi-arm.il.cable.rcn.com)
Date: April 01, 2010 11:25PM

Oh no! How sad!

My parents live down the street from there - I don't know where my dad is going to get his turkey deli meat from now on. There is a Butera kiddie-corner from it so I guess it's not too suprising. Still - another one bites the dust.

AD:

Posted by: shekaago (---.tmodns.net)
Date: April 04, 2010 06:13PM

It is so sad that fewer and fewer places like Elliot's exist. I know change is inevitable but sometimes wish I could make time stand still. I'll really miss shopping there.

AD:

Posted by: fleurblue (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 18, 2010 11:25PM

I always enjoyed shopping at Elliots. It was just the right size to make shopping less stressful. They had a good selection for a smaller store and the deli was the best. Easy parking too. Good sales and convenient to pick up a last minute lottery ticket. It will be missed.

AD:

Posted by: lursa1967 (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: April 17, 2011 11:59PM

I can still taste the corned beef!!

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact